Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Estimate of repair cost anyone? (Inspection results)

Options
  • 18-03-2005 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Had the RAC inspect a car in the UK for me...

this is a summary basically of what they came back with as essential work that needs to be done on the car :

- O/S/F inner wing is rusting
    - Battery is completely flat
    - Wheel brace is missing
    - Rust is visible on the rear floor and chassis
    - Centre exhaust is covered in repair paste
    - Even after the road test and the engine had reached operating temperature, excessive amounts of condensation was seen from the exhaust.

Comments (exterior of car):
    Extensive paintwork repairs are visible mainly to the N/S and these are to a poor standard with runs, dirt nibs, sinkage and silicones visible. Panel work repairs are visible to the N/S and rust repairs have been carried out to the N/S/R. Established rust is visible on the floor and chassis at the rear.

So, any of you have any idea what kinda cost it'd take to bring that car up to standard?
    I cant see the battery being much a problem but it might need a respray aswell, and I havent a clue about the other stuff...

Obviously the first instinct is to steer clear because of these defects, but the guy is fairly flexible on the price so it could still be a good buy, but I need to know how much it'll cost to fix all that so I can argue my case about him knocking that much off the price then accordingly..

Anyone guessimate a cost to repair the faults list above??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

horsesnout wrote:

this is a summary basically of what they came back with as essential work that needs to be done on the car :

- Wheel brace is missing
    - Even after the road test and the engine had reached operating temperature, excessive amounts of condensation was seen from the exhaust.

Extensive paintwork repairs are visible mainly to the N/S and these are to a poor standard with runs, dirt nibs, sinkage and silicones visible. Panel work repairs are visible to the N/S and rust repairs have been carried out to the N/S/R. Established rust is visible on the floor and chassis at the rear.

So, any of you have any idea what kinda cost it'd take to bring that car up to standard?
    I cant see the battery being much a problem but it might need a respray aswell, and I havent a clue about the other stuff...

Obviously the first instinct is to steer clear because of these defects, but the guy is fairly flexible on the price so it could still be a good buy, but I need to know how much it'll cost to fix all that so I can argue my case about him knocking that much off the price then accordingly..

the car is a waste of time. basically the engine is probably shot. the condensation is probably a blown headgasket, and who knows what caused it to blow as it overheated. the passageways inside the motor are probably clogged. so it need a new motor, and welding to the floor.

modern cars dont really rust in a 10 year span unless involved in accident damage.
    stear away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What sort of car is it and how old is it. Is it a classic? Is it an executive or sports car? Are parts easily available?

Anyhow assuming that it's just a normal modern family car. Flat battery, wheel brace and exhaust silencer are minor things. ~50 quid for a new battery (old one may be salvageable tho) 15 quid for a new wheel brace, anything from 30-120 quid for the exhaust section.

Don't know about the excessive condensation - could be a symptom of a blown head gasket? If the gasket needs replacing that'll be a few hundred quid

The cosmetic bodywork will cost a lot to put right if you want the car to be in mint condition. This, and the established structural rust are by far the biggest problems that you mentioned. The structural rust will require metal to be cut out and new metal welded back in. It'll be a pain in the arse and expensive and TBH the car may cost a lot more to put right than it is worth.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

horsesnout wrote:

- Wheel brace is missing

I'd walk away. What kind of car is it? For how much? Something that rusty, and then that shabbily painted is just being tarted up to look good for sale. The paint will bubble up within a year

Budget €2500 for repair and repaint, €100 for battery, €300 for exhaust and who knows for the mechanicals.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Agree with all above comments. Rust on the chassis and floorpan as well as on body panels, along with poor repairs.... sounds like it's fit for the knackers yard to be honest.

I assume it's a classic, I'd say the repair estimates given here are conservative to be honest. Replacing floor panels, body panels, stripping down all paintwork and bad previous repairs and redoing all repairs, respraying etc. will cost serious dough. That report would put me right off whatever it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

horsesnout wrote:

- Wheel brace is missing

walk away,and forget about it :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭horsesnout

Cheers lads, its not a classic its a jap import that im presuming due to the condition its in, was once a japan auction car since a lot of these have those sloppy repair jobs.
    The thing about it is, the price he's offering it really does reflect the condition - dealers over here would be looking for 11 - 12k for it in standard condition, private sale maybe 9 - 10k... he'll part with it for the sterling equivelent of about €3600, plus vrt of €2200 = €6000 grand approx after shipping etc, leaving that extra bit of change for repairs...

However, judging by the reactions here and from others, im gonna pass.. it just seems too risky, and I dont think I want to bother building on something with such fundamental flaws.
    Pity...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

What sort of car is it if you don't mind me asking? If dealers here would look 11 or 12k for one, then it can't be that old. Just wondering why then has it got so much rust if it's not that old? Generally post-90 cars are pretty sound rust-wise, especially on the chassis and floor.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

horsesnout wrote:

- Wheel brace is missing

1.Rust on the inner wing--How bad is it?Can you actually scrape bits of rust off?Surface rust probably if you cant lift off large bits of metal.
    2.Battery--Roughly 50-80 euros.
    3.Wheel brace--10 euros or less.
    4.Rust on rear floor--Do you mean the boot?If so I wouldnt worry about it.Most cars boots have signs of rust in them and anyone who doesnt believe me just peel back the sound deadening pads in the boot and look for yourself.Chassis again how bad is it?Can you scrape bits of rust off or is it surface rust?
    5.Exhaust--Depending on the model 80 euros +.
    6.Codensation from the exhaust is a sign that the cat is working correctly.Ive seen cars run for hours on the workshop floor and still have condensation leave a large pool of water on the floor.It wouldnt worry me TBH.

A lot of Jap imports come in with surface rust especially from the UK as they use salt on the roads over there.I wouldnt dismiss the car just like that especially if the price is right.A bad repair on the N/S could be sorted by any decent body shop once the panels are not bent beyond repair and if its only surface rust then like a lot of jap imports all they need is a treatment with underbody spray(basically a really thick paint like tar).

A friend of mine brought in a container of Jap repairables(4 WRX Subarus)and basically paid something like €2000 per car+ shipping of 3 or 4 grand.Most of them had been repaired very badly and had surface rust on a lot of the underbody but at that price he got 3 decent cars from the shipment.Id get a second opinion on the car from a repairer/bodyshop and not the RAC.Sometimes it helps to get the opinion of someone who actually does bodywork and can tell you once and for all if its worth your while getting it repaired.
    My 2 cents,
    Richie

Advertisement