Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brothers in Arms

Options
  • 18-03-2005 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Decent game, plays very well with the squad easy to move them about and control. Very involving storyline wise its tries so hard to be Band of Brothers of the video game world. Does a good job too.

Minor gripes so far iron sights are there as default you can turn on a crosshairs but aiming and shooting is very hard, you swear you hit the target and he pops back up. Very infuriation as every firefight is a mini battle (hard to explain you see when you play it) and teenie weenie gripe , all the screens and videos showed a gorgeous looking game when its actually okish graphics nothing special about them at all. Even on the highest settings.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

20050305.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Havent lost a man yet, altho i more worried whether Emma is serious or not!

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

KdjaC wrote:
    Havent lost a man yet, altho i more worried whether Emma is serious or not!

kdjac
    While it would be nice and all if she was, Ethan with a credit card? Hoooo-boy... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

KdjaC wrote:

Minor gripes so far iron sights are there as default you can turn on a crosshairs but aiming and shooting is very hard, you swear you hit the target and he pops back up. Very infuriation as every firefight is a mini battle

I think thats supposed to be the point of this game tho, to get you to think like a soldier, not just like 'ill hide behind these crates and nothing can shoot through me' style of gameplay in other games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

they should rename it brothers in hype,

that game is clearly a console game that was made tranformed onto pc, and they didn't bother much with imporoving it

MP = aweful, it's just aweful

SP = got bored after 10 mins of playing, aiming is extremely hard even when crouching, there is no prone, which I needed in some situations, graphics are mediocre, there is no fun in killing like in COD or CSS, when you melee attack the enemy they just "fall down" just try it, you will know what I mean, there is no sound when you bash them, game is slow moving, did I say it is boring? weapons are not that responsive, all in all if you already have COD/UO, don't buy this game, it's a waste of money, now I understand why they lock/deleted/and banned me, whenever I would ask questions like what about MP or DM? they just didn't want to bother, they spent their whole budget on hyping this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Hmm, after HaloPC I've had my doubts about Gearbox Software. The reaction to BiA so far doesn't look too promising (like the trailers did). I think I'll take the advice of some reviewers and wait till this one hits the bargain bin.

I bought Hidden&Dangerous at a bargain a few years ago and happily accepted all it's flaws because of it's price. It was a great game in places but if I paid full wack for it I would have become very frustrated at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

What are the Specs of it though. I couldnt find them on any site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Minimum System Requirements:

· 100% Windows® 2000/XP compatible computer system (including compatible 32-bit drivers for DVD drive, video card, sound card and input devices)

· US version of Microsoftâ Windows® 2000/XP operating system

· Intel Pentium® III or AMD Athlon&153;1.0 GHz processor (2.5 GHz Pentium IV or AMD Athlon recommended)

· 512MB RAM (1 GB or more recommended)

· DVD drive

· 3 GB of uncompressed hard disk space for game files, plus 512MB for Windows® swap file.

· DirectX® 9.0c or higher (included on disc)

· 100% DirectX® 8.0 compatible 32MB video card and drivers (64 MB recommended)

· 3-D Hardware Accelerator must support pixel shaders 1.0 or higher*

· 100% DirectX® 8.0 compatible sound card and drivers (EAX recommended)

· 100% Microsoft®-compatible mouse & keyboard

The minimum PC specifications are as follows: 1ghz processor, 256mb RAM, 32mb DX8 Video card. The console versions require you just to own the console you wish to run BiA on.

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/index.php?p=support&faq=1#3

Not that I'd trust that after my experience with Gearbox's HaloPC. But from what I've read, the graphics ain't exactly the most demanding.

This is not a run and gun unstoppable kiling machine game, its damn hard to play.

If you a FPS player who wants medi packs 57 guns in a bum bag this is not the game for you, tactical squad based shooter and not a bad one at that.

Suppress and fire, suppress and fire :D

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Suppress and fire, suppress and fire :D
    Apparently it's a little too much suppress and fire, suppress and fire and little other tactics.

I do like my games to have good action with tactics and strategy on the side and on the fly. I don't mind slow build up and careful preperation as long as the action is worth it. I like the likes of CoD because it's all about action but punishes you for 'loosing your head' and charging into fortified positions, or blindly around corners etc.

I liked H&D's mid-game strategy map, but I didn't like Rainbow Six's pre-mission plan maps. It felt too far removed from the actual game.

If BiA lived up to everyone's expectations then I would have bought it straight away. But apparently the E3 demo has all the best parts of the game rolled into one level. And there's not enough original content to last the entire game.

I don't know. I still have HL2, FarCry and Doom3 catching up to do. So I won't rush into this either. :)

aiming is very annoying, if real aiming was like that, both Allies and Germans would drop their guns and fight with slingshots

it should be easier to aim with a close up aiming, but in this game it's upside down, it's easier when you shot using crosshairs then gun's close up

another thing forgot to add, did you guys try to throw a nade yet? if it had tactics it would allow you to hold a nade for sometime, like in COD, and not throw it away once you click fire button

BiA got quite a good write up in Edge, im looking forward to this tbh, my gf ordered me a copy, so i cant wait to play it when it gets here. I just like thats its a little different, i think alot of people were expecting it to be COD2 or something but its obvioulsy something pretty different. COD is great but tbh its fairly basic run &gun gameplay just wth great bells & whistles on it, what im looking forward to in bia is a bit of realism, none of this 'one man army destroying tanks with a pistol' kind of stuff, even tho that can be fun too :D

A lot of COD love here? Its just a rehash of MOHAA with different skins really.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    A lot of COD love here? Its just a rehash of MOHAA with different skins really.

kdjac

True, but its done alot better than mohaa, alot more intense, and better sense of being 'in' a battle than mohaa's one man army approach

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

anyone tried the xbox version of it yet? was thinking about getting it, especially if the live content is decent

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

I love it. There's something about the visuals that have the right look. The sound is the best thing about it. Even had my dad watching it for a while. I'm a little disapointed that I only got it on Friday and already 3/4 way through it. Haven't tried live yet but it sounds decent aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If you liked CoD you will hate this, I thought CoD SP was fun but highly tedious 1 man army lark, and multiplayer was pants, in the expansion UO, the multi player was still pants, only reason I ever play it on-lien is a few m8s play it, and I purely play it for the craic I have with the peopel I play with, CoD:UO is dire IMO. Wont even bother mentioning MoH, it was just diabolical. BiA is very much about supress the enemy and move your assault team (or yourself) up the flanks and cut em down, if aiming in this was as easy as COD or whatnot, no-one would use their squads, would just be another rehash of MoH (CoD is enough rehashing for one game), if you grab yourself a BAR or a kar98 you can still pop heads off after you steady your aim if the enemy is supressed, or just no-one is shooting at you, as even near misses sod up your aim (good idea imo, if a shot whizzed past your ear or hit what you were hiding behind not 6inch's from your face, you aim wont be rock steady).

I really enjoyed this game tbh, and really look forward to playing it on LAN or whatnot, as it looks like it could be great for 2v2's on LAN when the vocal chord's are goin :)

However single player is quite short, not exactly sure how many hours of play I got out of it, but I finished it already on hard, last mission is fun, have to be very cheeky as your on your own, very nice change for a final mission rather than just 'omfg theres 300 germans attacking !!11!11!' like in pretty much every MoH and rehash.

If your looking to practice your 'l33t shooting sk1llz', go play a game that requires an aim (that puts CoD out of it...), this isnt about shooting, its about manouvering and cover, have to use terrain very well to stand a chance in most of the fights, and in the missions you get them, use of tanks is also very important, as while they can paste anything you sit infront of them, putting them in the line of sight of a pak20 will make for a very short fight, and panzer infantry can make a fair mess of them too if they get a shot at its rear.

Overall Id give it 8/10, and the main gripes are that you only ever get 2 squads, and that single player is quite short (yet very fun and absorbing).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

LoL Pug you COD basher :)
    Try playing COD and UO on rifles only servers and see if you need to have an aim lmao.
    BIA is a bit too much supress,flank fire imo,got bored too easily.
    The best squad based shooter has to be Ghost Recon,BIA is not a patch on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

flogen wrote:
    anyone tried the xbox version of it yet? was thinking about getting it, especially if the live content is decent

flogen
    One of the best games on the xbox. I'd imagine the PC version is pants though

• Advertisement

bazH wrote:
    One of the best games on the xbox. I'd imagine the PC version is pants though

Why?

yea pc version sucks

one more proof that they didn't bother too much with pc version is that, the game doesn't even support scroll wheel, there is no scroll wheel support lol, you switch weapons with TAB

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

That is bull****. I change weapons with my mouse wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

do not buy this game unless u like bs aiming, where no matter what its random as f00k, no matter what u do its only every 3rd shot that hits and where there is no sense of hitboxes ie it takes 3 shots to kill a soilder with whatever rifle no matter where u hit them, and where the gameplay is completely repeative supress flank till ure rite up beside them then shot u do this about 8 times a leve l by level 3 you really get piss of by u retard team who cant hit sh1t,

so to finish do not buy this game, and gearbox quit tbh what I have played of your games condition zero, halo and this fair enough u went for something new which is respectiable where as the other where just rehashed games, but u shouldnt of ripped the ass with this supress bs

/end rant

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Operation Flashpoint 2 tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I think its pretty good. Looking to be fairly short though. It is pretty repetitive but I find the gameplay exciting and dont mind the repetition too much. Definitely not for people who were expecting another MOH or CoD, though I like both of those games this is definitely a good thing and works in BIA's favour.

j0e wrote:
    do not buy this game unless u like bs aiming, where no matter what its random as f00k, no matter what u do its only every 3rd shot that hits and where there is no sense of hitboxes ie it takes 3 shots to kill a soilder with whatever rifle no matter where u hit them, and where the gameplay is completely repeative supress flank till ure rite up beside them then shot u do this about 8 times a leve l by level 3 you really get piss of by u retard team who cant hit sh1t,

so to finish do not buy this game, and gearbox quit tbh what I have played of your games condition zero, halo and this fair enough u went for something new which is respectiable where as the other where just rehashed games, but u shouldnt of ripped the ass with this supress bs

/end rant

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

funniest thing iveheard about this game was when a guy in work looked at the box and says while lookin at the guyy being carried : "who the fcuk let Egon into the war?!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Everyones arguement against it seems to be 'omfg I cant hit a pin off a wall from 1000 yards!! omfg BS! refund!!11!', talk about missing the point entirely, go play MoH, this isnt the game for you. Or that you end up just supressing and flanking, sure thats easy against AI, theres only so far AI can go,however great their ability to find cover it, another player wont just watch you as you run around them.
    LoL Pug you COD basher :)
    Try playing COD and UO on rifles only servers and see if you need to have an aim lmao.
    BIA is a bit too much supress,flank fire imo,got bored too easily.
    The best squad based shooter has to be Ghost Recon,BIA is not a patch on it.
    Use a mosin, win. It isnt hard on rifles only or not, you said dont diss it til you tried it cully, I tried it and didnt think much of it, now your just poking for more excuse's, next one will be 'join a clan' I bet :)

Ghost Recon is indeed a great game, played it to death on-line, but it isnt really a team based shooter, your team just end up following you around and soak up bullets, as their ability to find cover his hilarious, can finish Ghost Recon no bother without even using your squad at all on hard, all you really NEED them for is so you can get a few rockets which can come in handy, and mission specific satchel charge's, them radar things that make the enemy show up on the map are dead handy too, its more of a stealth game than a team based shooter :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

LOL Pug :D

Advertisement