Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retail price of PSP?

• 18-03-2005 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what price the PSP will be when it comes out and when does it come out? I need it before Summer so I have a bit of time. And will it be better than the DS?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well its pushed up 3 months, it will probably be out by JUNE, un aware of the price, prices may change in 3 months !
    Is it better than the DS ? ask someone who has both! personally i want the psp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Placebo wrote:
    well its pushed up 3 months, it will probably be out by JUNE, un aware of the price, prices may change in 3 months !
    Is it better than the DS ? ask someone who has both! personally i want the psp.
    i have both :p the psp all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

PSP graphics are superior, its all down to the games u like to play which one you'll like better..

DS is cheap enough though, buy one now and you'll have 3/4 months to save for the PSP. Games are expensive though.

i kinda wanna import psp but people keep saying that the japenese version is bound to have more 'dead pixels' than us ? true ?
    then that button thing.
    besides that, the whole - 3 months, il end up buying other regional games which will not work online with euro ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

at least hold out to the US launch. at least then its the second revision you'll be getting, and will hopefully have the major flaws ironed out. You'll get dead pixel risk with any TFT product. Luck of the draw. Shops in ireland are friendly enough when it comes to dead pixels, GameStop changed my DS because of one dead pixel, so it may be worth ur while waiting. It'll be here by end of aprill/start of may i'd say. June is worst case scenario!

• Advertisement

thanks.
    End of april would be definatley worth the wait.
    June is too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Placebo wrote:
    thanks.
    End of april would be definatley worth the wait.
    June is too far.

End of April ? No chance, almost all game shops in US are now sold out of their 1st preorder shipment, and people are having to preorder for the second shipment which is coming a week or 2 later. For the next 2-3 months all new psps will be directed to the US market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

What are the good games for it? If I buy a Japanese or American PSP does that mean I'll have to buy Japanese or American games?What is the cheapest I'll get it on eBay? I'm going to Hong Kong in the Summer, will their games work on the Japanese version? The only problem with that is the language barrier. My friend has the DS and although it doesn't look nice the stylus is brilliant and Wario Ware is super. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

the psp is region free, so the games will work on any system, i'd recomend buyin the US version, although you can change the language settings on the japanese version. prices vary on ebay, have a look and you might get lucky and get a cheap 1 or look at sites like dvdsoon, videogamesplus and the like but remember that you might get caught by customs fees importing,

Why is an American one better than a Japanese one? I'm going to Hong Kong in the Summer. Would I get a really cheap one there?

• Advertisement

i dont think it be cheaper there but you wont have to pay CUSTOMs etc so it might end up cheaper - customs and -delivery.
    US version might not have that button flaw [apparently the square button i think is loosy]
    US version wont play euro UMD's btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I dont have a problem with my square button. I think I have one dead pixel down the bottom left but I dont really notice it unless I go looking for it. As said above, the dead pixel thing is just with TFT screen's it cant be helped. Also, its rumoured that Samsung or someone is prodicing PSP's for Sony to help with the demand. It would be very hard to get a PSP in the U.S. for the next while unless you ordered it a month ago. Jap import is the way to go atm, then just order in some games from the U.S.

I like my PSP a lot more then any DS. Tbh, I wouldn't even swop it for two DS'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I seriously doubt the US and JPN PSP will have any differences. They can't make enough as there is without making a serious design change.

Chances of dead pixels will be the same on both version and to "fix" the square button will need a major change to either the size of screen or size of the machine.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I seriously doubt the US and JPN PSP will have any differences. They can't make enough as there is without making a serious design change.

Chances of dead pixels will be the same on both version and to "fix" the square button will need a major change to either the size of screen or size of the machine.

square button has been "fixed" for the last month, even new Japan psps have it fixed. This has been confirmed by numerous places. Dead pixels are dead pixels, nothing you can do about them. Theyre almost impossible to notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

cRaZZeeLR wrote:
    Why is an American one better than a Japanese one? I'm going to Hong Kong in the Summer. Would I get a really cheap one there?

There is no major differences between the USA and JPN PSP's, to you and me they will be virtually identical.

The USA ones are being manufactured at a lower cost than the launch JPN ones, not because of cheap screens/materials/any other stuff, but because Sony are now sharing some of the manufacturing with their long standing business 'friends' Samsung.

Thus the USA PSP will be known as the PSP 1001K as opposed to the JPN model's PSP 1000K.

The only reason a USA PSP will be better is due to the exchage rates at the moment, it may be a bit cheaper. But not much:)

In HK you won't get a 'really cheap' one though, the PSP hasn't been released in Asia, outside of Japan, yet, and probably won't be officially released there until about a year after the Euro launch.

You WILL get one in HK though, what the retailers usually do over there is buy in Japan and sell in HK at the Japanese retail price plus as much as they can get away with. Which usually means about ten percent, but until May/June will probably be a bit more(due to how rare and new it is)

re the Euro launch: when the PSP is lauched in Europe we'll know ALL about it! This thing is probably going to have a bigger marketing budget than the PS2 had, you'll be sick of hearing about it! I would think that Sony will announce the launch officially at least six weeks prior to launch, which rules out an April launch at the moment, that's how long Nintendo announced the DS Euro launch and Sony announced the USA PSP launch!

EDIT: You guys!!! I spent the last quarter of an hour typing the/watching Football Focus/watching the Celtic game/reading teletext(F1 times) AND YOU GUYS POSTED ALL THE ANSWERS! maybe I should learn to touch type:p

L5 wrote:
    square button has been "fixed" for the last month, even new Japan psps have it fixed. This has been confirmed by numerous places. Dead pixels are dead pixels, nothing you can do about them. Theyre almost impossible to notice.

Just did some reading about this, looks like I was thinking of the wrong thing. I was talking about the fact that square button was partially over the screen. Didn't know about them sticking alot. :D

buy from ebay, heres a seller based in UK so NO taxes or duty

3 available

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75556&item=8177703798&rd=1

I have noticed some cheap American ones. I saw one for $219 as a Buy It Now price

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That price is rather surprising given the us launch price is to be 250 dollars.
    As for the Irish launch I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to september to capture the christmas market, check out gamesindustry.biz for the very latest info on the psp, Sony have pushed the launch back from a projected end of April, reckon demand on their plants will be incredibly high given the impending us launch and the continued success in their home territories.
    Heres hoping my importer won't screw things up, although I do have a feeling in my bones that I will get passed by in the intial filling of preorders.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Does that mean it'll be less than E200 over here given the ****e dollar and all??

• Advertisement

Doubt it, my guess would be €250.

I bought a DS off an American for $91 with Madden 2005 and Super Mario 64 and have decided to get the PSP when it becomes cheaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Local machine to be about 250 euro or more, translate dollar value into euros, that seems to have been the case over other recent hardware releases like the DS, of course it will leave it a whopping 100 notes more than the DS, could be turn off for parents come christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Here are some psp bundle packs for sale in the usa.
    EBGAMES

Are these prices even any good? i just posted them to see if anyone found them useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

I bought one last week (23rd) in Sony Shop Boston on release day (just about everyone else in line were Sony employees!)
    It was $250 for value pack(?) (ie with soft cover, carry strap, earphones, inline-remote, 32mb MemoryStick Duo card etc.. Oh and it came with Spiderman2 movie on UMD and voucher for 10 online song downloads(?)
    All games were selling for $39.95 and 512 MemoryStick Duo card was about $115.

Beekay wrote:
    Here are some psp bundle packs for sale in the usa.
    EBGAMES

Are these prices even any good? i just posted them to see if anyone found them useful
    im trying to register with EBGAMES but when they ask 'where you from' theres no Ireland
    https://www.ebgames.com
    how come

do they ship to ireland at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

im trying to register with EBGAMES but when they ask 'where you from' theres no Ireland
    https://www.ebgames.com
    how come

do they ship to ireland at all

Doesn't look like it. UK is not even on the shipping rates list.

(btw I went into one of their stores and the staff were next to useless. But they did have Brothers-in-Arms mislabelled for $35) :p

Doesn't look like it. UK is not even on the shipping rates list.

(btw I went into one of their stores and the staff were next to useless. But they did have Brothers-in-Arms mislabelled for $35) :p
    thanks for the help
    that brother in arms game is very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi all,
    I bought a US PSP off a guy last week and have NO dead pixels thankfully and the square button is perfect as well. I got Need 4 Speed Underground rivals and Spidy on UMD.

I've just put some music and the Star Wars trailer on it and I have to set it's class. It's even making me think about selling my iPod and using the money to get a 2GB memory stick.

Just wondering if there has been any sort of 'gathering' organised or anything for people lucky enough to have PSP's where one could play multiplayer games etc?

Would many of you be interested in doing something like this in Dublin?

Let me know,
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

madmoe wrote:
    Just wondering if there has been any sort of 'gathering' organised or anything for people lucky enough to have PSP's where one could play multiplayer games etc?

Can we all sit around and stick them down our pants >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

I guess..... if people REALLY REALLY want to ;-)

Advertisement