Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax System?

Options
  • 18-03-2005 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Does anybody understnd the motor tax system?

Monies collected go bavk to a central fund - how is devided up?

If I tax my car online - does my local authority loose funding?

The UK just add a certain amount to the cost of fuel - would this not be a cheaper system to administer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cork wrote:
    Does anybody understnd the motor tax system?

Monies collected go bavk to a central fund - how is devided up?

If I tax my car online - does my local authority loose funding?

The UK just add a certain amount to the cost of fuel - would this not be a cheaper system to administer?
    As best I know councils have an obligation to collect motor tax, they do not get a handling fee.

The money goes into the Local Government Fund and is divied up on a means and needs basis (code for political slush fund).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Cork wrote:
    The UK just add a certain amount to the cost of fuel...

Since when ???

The UK have a 'Road Fund Licence' (i.e. Road Tax) system just like we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Correction:
    Road tax on new cars in Britain varies according to their carbon dioxide emissions.

But would it be better to just increase the cost of fuel?

Advertisement