Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh No Its the Mersey Derby Game Thread!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Leonard wrote:
    Baros, what a waster

I was nearly eating my words there. What a strike by baros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Here comes big Duncan... heres one I made earlier

Leonard wrote:
    I was nearly eating my words there. What a strike by baros

More evidence. I rest my case NOW. He is useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

OMG Baros again, what is he at he could have this game sewn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Eh, Gerrard should have been booked twice now, but he got off.
    ALl the marginal decisions have went Liverpools way.
    Liverpool still deserve to be in front but its not like its anything vicous

biscan is like terminator when he gets going :D

baros is having a mare in front of goal, liverpool are looking very composed and professional, everton are stumped for ideas

Baros has just been Sent off

Awlful challenge by Baros. Very high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

OMG!!!!! Sell sell sell.

It'll be backs to the wall now, which is a worry.

Mike.

• Advertisement

jaysus that was late by baros

2-1 Tim Cahill with 10 mins to go

Cahill 2-1 Now we'll have a nice finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

What an awful challenge by baros. Really dangerous. With regard to his chances, does he need an open goal to score? He has so little composure its unreal. The keeper was on the ground for the second chance!

2-1 now

Amazing strike by Cahill, I think there could have been a free kick for obstruction on Riise, but it would have been harsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Me wipes brow...and wonders how we're going to cope with no strikers for the next game or two...

Mike.

• Advertisement

Yeah good win, but bloody costly.

No Baros, prolly no Morientes, I guess Mellor's makign a come back, maybe push Gerrard up front :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

where's the other 10 minutes of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Great match. The better team won it in the end. The fight for the 4th spot should be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Baros is such a waster, and that tackle was shocking.
    Lucky there's internationals next weekend, the injured players should be fit again for the Bolton game.

nailbitingly good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

great result. If baros wasnt such a twat we would had the game in the bag well before the end. Sending off aswell, deserved. We are nicely shafted for the bolton game with no recognised strikers.

Hamann should be back though which will be a boast. 2 week recovery time for him, garcia and warnock. Nando's looks like a groin problem so i aint to confident he will be back.

As for the rest of the match. gerrard was immense. Must be the thought of him playingh is last merseyside derby that inspired him! :p

he was running all over the pitch and putting him so excellent tackles. The back 4 were great aswell. Carragher had a stormer. Did excellent against big dunc. Was the only header he won, the one for the goal? :confused:

Finann had a good game, hhaha kicking the ball inot the kop was priceless. Risse was the same, cant fault either of them. THey did everything needed and made no mistakes.

Biscuits was good when he came on, he made some excellent runs.

Nunez had a good performance aswell, made some excellent runs and covered back. He should of done better with his chance in the fisrt half though. :eek:

Garcia did all he could in the second half. I was delighted to see him make a tackle on kilbane in the first half, altohugh i can see why he doesnt tackle too often :D

Dudek really shouldnt of been beated on his near post, but he saw it late so i cant fully blame him. Risse was also obstructed for the goal.

We fully deserved the win, why the **** cant we play like that all the time? :mad:

Jesus, everton in the champions league is a depressing thought, they were woeful. 2 shots on goal and one on target was it?

i am more worried about bolton now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Leonard wrote:
    He still wont be with liverpool next season though.

please do stfu
    does this have to be brought up constantly?
    Leonard wrote:
    More evidence. I rest my case NOW. He is useless
    mike65 wrote:
    OMG!!!!! Sell sell sell.

i agree
    im very sick of him missing one on ones
    i dont think he's a striker, but he cant pass wither, so whats his purpose...

biscan and nunez were good going forward but need to learn how to lay it off rather than giving it away or hitting a pointless shot
    well done to nunez as his cross led to the free kick for the first goal

thought pool were good in the first half...the way they should play...
    that ended when they started dropping like flies
    the inability to keep a clean sheet once again leaves a sour taste

im happy with the 3 points though...if liverpool get some consistency 4th is theirs

eyerer wrote:
    please do stfu

I assume stfu, stands for Shut the f*ck up. Well firstly I am only stating the obvious and secondly I am entitled to my opinion.

If you have a problem with my posts then report it, but dont tell me to shut the **** up

why are you stating the obvious?
    is this a transfer speculation thread?
    post your opinion in a thread on the subject, of which there are plenty

Relax ppl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Well that was entertaining.

Liverpool definately deserved it and had they scored four it wouldnt have flattered them. Everton were pretty crap to be honest, totally devoid of any craft or creativity.

On the sending off, I think the ref was very quick to get the card out of his pocket, particularly as tempers had begun to boil over nothing just previously with Pistone and the fans.

I didnt think it was as bad a challenge as everyone has made out. Baros was tackling from a metre or so away thats why his foot was higher than usual. Stubbs also had just kicked the ball half a second previously, hence his leg was moving into Baros' path. It was a bad challenge and late, but I dont think there was any malice there. Im not 100% convinced it should have been a sending off, Ive seen tackles as bad getting yellows. Having said that Im sure Id be calling for red if it were against Liverpool.

The injuries probably wont be as severe as first thought seeing as there is a two week break before the next game.

Everton were keen to rough Liverpool up after the break seeing as they had used all their subs, Nunez and Garcia obviously getting most of the attention.

Im pleased overall, victory came at a price though. The sending off for Baros will hopefully make him have a look at his overall performance this year. At least he will have the time to. With Cisses injury he has had the perfect opportunity to prove himself, but he hasnt. He is one of the most frustrating players to watch, at times does brilliant things, often looks dangerous, but all of that is no use unless he is putting the ball in the back of the net, or putting others in to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I thought Baros was good. He was unlucky with the one on one. Liverpool fans have short memories.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I thought Baros was good. He was unlucky with the one on one. Liverpool fans have short memories.

your main striker missing 2 one on one chances, then getting send off is a good performance?

i agree with jivin, there was no malice in the tackle, but i cant really argue with the sending off. And there no chance it will be over-turned.

your main striker missing 2 one on one chances, then getting send off is a good performance?

i agree with jivin, there was no malice in the tackle, but i cant really argue with the sending off. And there no chance it will be over-turned.
    one of the one v one's hit the end of the keepres boot. it was very unlucky. the sending off was nonsense. He's the best forward liverpool have had since robbie fowler was in form (along time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    one of the one v one's hit the end of the keepres boot. it was very unlucky. the sending off was nonsense. He's the best forward liverpool have had since robbie fowler was in form (along time).

He should have finished the first one. but took too long on the ball....

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

YOu think hes better then MIchael Owen?! OWen would had those 2 goals easily. and wont of made a stupid challenge either.

I certainly dont think the sending off was non-sense.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Yes some Liverpool fans do have short memories, remember Micheal Owen?

His play is good, and has been good. He was dangerous today and caused problems for Evertons back four. He often looks dangerous. BUT that means nothing unless he is delivering an end product in a goal or an assist, which he doesnt do often enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

The keeper was on the ground at the tme, Baros should have had 2 and then he got himself sent off for a dreadful knee high tackle. On current form he is not good enough

Liverpool deserved their win today as they should have had Everton buried before Baros was sent off.

It was interesting to see Gerrad Badge Kissing after his goal if the rumours of him moving on in the summer are true. All he was misisng was the once a red always a red logo on his shirt. ;)

YOu think hes better then MIchael Owen?! OWen would had those 2 goals easily. and wont of made a stupid challenge either.

I certainly dont think the sending off was non-sense.
    Owen of 3/4 years ago maybe would have scored. But Owen of the last 1/2 years (at liverpool) was crap and wouldn't have scored. Baros is an exciting footballer - not perfect, but there are few forward in the Premiere League I'd prefer to have over baros.

The Muppet wrote:
    It was interesting to see Gerrad Badge Kissing after his goal if the rumours of him moving on in the summer are true. All he was misisng was the once a red always a red logo on his shirt. ;)

lol

btw, the ignore function should be advertised more :)

The Muppet wrote:

then followed by "i wil never move to chelsea" ;)

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Owen of 3/4 years ago maybe would have scored. But Owen of the last 1/2 years (at liverpool) was crap and wouldn't have scored. Baros is an exciting footballer - not perfect, but there are few forward in the Premiere League I'd prefer to have over baros.

judging baros on last season he would of never scored either. Its unfair to judge baros and owen now. Owen had to play in a system that didnt suit him in the slightest. If owen had stayed at liverpool he would have alot more goals then baros.

judging baros on last season he would of never scored either. Its unfair to judge baros and owen now. Owen had to play in a system that didnt suit him in the slightest. If owen had stayed at liverpool he would have alot more goals then baros.
    Owen stopped playing after his various hamstring injuries, his one attribute, which was his pace, was gone. I'd take Baros any day. He looks like scoring every match, he turns defenders, he makes opportunities for himself, Liverpool don't have a better forward, and haven't had for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eyerer wrote:
    btw, the ignore function should be advertised more :)

Maybe a discussion forum is not for you.You seem to have a problem accepting other peoples opinions .

BTW I wouldn.t waste my time on the ignore function if i were you as if anyone reports your STFU comment earlier in this thread it'll be taken care of for you. :D

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    Maybe a discussion forum is not for you.You seem to have a problem accepting other peoples opinions .

BTW I wouldn.t waste my time on the ignore function if i were you as if anyone reports your STFU comment earlier in this thread it'll be taken care of for you. :D
    pwned!

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Owen stopped playing after his various hamstring injuries, his one attribute, which was his pace, was gone. I'd take Baros any day. He looks like scoring every match, he turns defenders, he makes opportunities for himself, Liverpool don't have a better forward, and haven't had for some time.

his pace is far from gone. he turns defenders, makes opportunities for himself, then he blows it. Thats not what i want from a foorward. He never creates chances for other players aswell, his headless chicken routine is farily annoying.

Not to mention his petulant attitude. When he isnt picked in a team he whinges? is there any wonder he isnt picked with finishing like he displayed today?

his pace is far from gone.
    it may still be there (Owen) but he stopped using it at Liverpool.
    he turns defenders, makes opportunities for himself, then he blows it. Thats not what i want from a foorward. He never creates chances for other players aswell, his headless chicken routine is farily annoying.

The point is he puts defenders under pressure, takes the attack forward, sometimes he scores, sometimes he gets a throw / corner / free. The point is he take the ball and uses it. Perhaps not you want from a forward, but its a huge improvement from the crap of owen/heskey of the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nothing knee-jerk about it. Baros has always flattered to decieve at Anfield and never reproduced his international form on a consistant basis. He has such a limited positional awareness too - he rarely knows where he is on the pitch, nevermind other players and all to often he just puts his head down and runs to the corner flag.

The Muppet wrote:

:eek:
    :D

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Ah yes, another one of the "Owen is past it" brigade.

He scored 19 goals in 38 games last year. One in two. He was playing in a team that performed poorly, and played against all his strengths.

The season before he bagged 28 goals.

That is not "crap".

Baros is a raw talent. He shows glimpses of brilliance at times. But he needs to develop so much more if he wants to be rated at the highest level. And develop in so many areas, finishing, creativity, strength, awareness to name a few.

His exiting runs and the pressure he puts defenders under often result in nothing, not even a throw, because he often ends up in a blind alley and loses the ball.

As regards premiership strikers Id prefer over him. I can name about 10 off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I'd take Baros any day. He looks like scoring every match, he turns defenders, he makes opportunities for himself, Liverpool don't have a better forward, and haven't had for some time.

'Looks' being the operative word. He never looks up with the ball, all he seems to be able to do is run into the corner and get disposessed, or fluff decent chances. Baros isn't up to it at Liverpool, long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    Yeah good win, but bloody costly.

No Baros, prolly no Morientes, I guess Mellor's makign a come back, maybe push Gerrard up front :)

Jesus Baros is terrible. May as well stick scott carson up front.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

Looking like scoring is no use to anybody. Liverpool need goals and have a striker who cant score to save his life.

Stekelly wrote:
    Looking like scoring is no use to anybody. Liverpool need goals and have a striker who cant score to save his life.
    9 goals from 18 starts is not bad. & the added bonus of unsettling defenders, getting set-pieces etc. Long may he continue as Liverpool's no.1 striker. I've yet to see evidence of a better forward at the club (Morientes or pre-injury Cisse [ouch]).

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    9 goals from 18 starts is not bad. & the added bonus of unsettling defenders, getting set-pieces etc. Long may he continue as Liverpool's no.1 striker. I've yet to see evidence of a better forward at the club (Morientes or pre-injury Cisse [ouch]).

Mellor in the same positions would have scored at least 1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement