Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Oil for Ford fiesta

Options
  • 18-03-2005 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Anyone know which type of engine oil I need for a 1996 petrol Ford Fiesta?
    I dont have the user manual, so cant check. I'm thinking WD40. Also when I do get the oil, how do I put it into the car?
    ANy help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

baegan wrote:
    Anyone know which type of engine oil I need for a 1996 petrol Ford Fiesta?
    I dont have the user manual, so cant check. I'm thinking WD40. Also when I do get the oil, how do I put it into the car?
    ANy help appreciated

Hi

10W35 or 40 will be fine. In fact pretty much any engine oil, be it synthetic or mineral. Fiestas are not very choosy.

WD40 is not engine oil. Indeed it is barely oil, being little more than perfumed kerosene in a can. It is great at displacing water, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Based on your post , I would suggest for ultimate longevity of your chosen motor, that you engage the services of a motor mechanic or perhaps a friend that is skilled in these things.
    Remember that Oil is the lifeblood of your engine and lack of oil will have fatal consequences for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

WD40 is not engine oil. Indeed it is barely oil, being little more than perfumed kerosene in a can. It is great at displacing water, though.
    Hence the "WD" (but obviously you know that).

WD40 isn't suitable as a lubricant as ds20prefacture mentioned. Dries out too fast and gets dusty fast. It's basically just a very light penetrating oil. Fine for freeing bolts, putting on the mudguards of your bike or protecting the outer layer of an Atlas missile against corrosion but no good in your Fiesta engine or that of any other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hi

10W35 or 40 will be fine. In fact pretty much any engine oil, be it synthetic or mineral. Fiestas are not very choosy.

Does the same go for a '00 zetec? Cheers. No need for an oil top-up/change yet but it will be handy to know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Stephen wrote:
    Does the same go for a '00 zetec? Cheers. No need for an oil top-up/change yet but it will be handy to know :)

10 W 40 is fine for a 00 zetec :)
    My Dad has the 1.25 and that's what he was uses, He's a smart man... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

WD40? I should have typed 10W40 , not thinking/typing right. I blame working nightshift. Thanks for all your inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Car will probably use 10W 40 or 15W 40 semi synthetic if it's the 1.25 engine. If it's the 1.3 euduro engine 10W 40 Castrol GTX mineral should be fine. If you're in dublin go to halfords, they will have a book there which tells you exactly what oil your car needs. Are you changing the oil or just topping up?

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

BrianD3 wrote:
    Car will probably use 10W 40 or 15W 40 semi synthetic if it's the 1.25 engine. If it's the 1.3 euduro engine 10W 40 Castrol GTX mineral should be fine. If you're in dublin go to halfords, they will have a book there which tells you exactly what oil your car needs. Are you changing the oil or just topping up?

BrianD3

I'd use fully synthetic on the 1.25 Yamaha Zetec engine. Cracking wee engine - it deserves it.

You can find engine oil at any local motor factors. If we all go to Halfords, they're won't be local motors factors. I use J & S in Dun Laoghaire and find them excellent in terms of price & knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You can find engine oil at any local motor factors. If we all go to Halfords, they're won't be local motors factors.
    True, but a proper motor factors can be a bit daunting for someone who doesn't know too much about cars, also, some smaller factors are quite disorganised and might not be able to tell him straightaway what sort of oil his car needs. Whereas if he goes to Halfords he'll be able to look up the little book himself and will know within 2 seconds what oil his car needs. Armed with this info he can then go and buy the oil somewhere else if he wishes :)

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

got some 10 W 40 today, and put into car,
    thanks for all the inputs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

My local motorfactor recommended 5W30 for my wife's 1.25 Zetec. That went against all of the wisdom offered by people I asked - until I got the Haynes manual which recommended 5W30 for Zetecs. (Not sure about the Endura engine though.)

If in doubt, check the Castrol Website - there's a "which oil should I use?" section where you can enter your car and get a recommendation. It gives Magnatec 5W30 for the Zetec too incidentally.

Advertisement