Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BACKLASH Present Optimo DJ's(Kill The DJ/Sub Club, Glasgow)

• 18-03-2005 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

Header.gif

Following our sell out show with Black Strobe our next international guests will be...

BACKLASH // Optimo DJ's(Glasgow) // Thursday 07 April // Wax

“I hate it when that age old line 'it's not as good as it used to be' raises its ugly head. But, having lived
    and played through the crazed days of the early 90's rave era, I truly thought I had seen the wildest nights
    and best atmosphere I would ever witness. I was wrong - some of our Optimo nights have been......
    beyond anything I have ever known . Jonnie and I would be powerless to do anything but look at the
    dancefloor in awe and just burst out laughing at this monster we had created that truly had a life of its own”

OPTIMO is Jonnie Wilkes & Keith McIvor (JG Wilkes and JD Twitch) and was started in back in
    November 1997 at The Sub Club, Glasgow.

"At that point, I'd been playing house and techno for 10 years or so and the last thing I felt Glasgow needed
    was yet another club ploughing that furrow. I didn't care whether it would work or not, or whether anyone
    would go, it was just something I had to do.*I love dj'ing with all my heart but I was so bored with seamless
    mixing - it was all just too obvious, too predictable and too easy - I had to do something to preserve my
    (in)sanity."

Twitch asked Belfast playboy Jonnie Wilkes to do the night with him, and Optimo was born. And it was great!
    It was liberating. It was the most fun behind the decks either of them had ever had. Most weeks it lost money
    but the 80 or so people who came were so passionate about it that it didn't matter.

Each week the music would get wilder and wilder as Twitch and Johnny delved into their collections. Sleazy
    funk, post punk, electro, 50's swing, torch songs, disco classics, percussion workouts, sublime house, raging
    techno, 80's pop. All played with no seeming regard to continuity but somehow working together into this
    deranged hybrid.

The word spread like wildfire, across Europe and around the world. People heard stories of how employers
    in Glasgow were making employees sign waivers promising not to go to Optimo on Sunday nights. Glaswegians
    told their friends in London and Dublin and New York about the twisted ****ed up magic of Optimo but those
    who hadn’t been couldn’t pigeonhole Optimo anymore than those who had.

But 2005’s How to Kill The DJ mix has given non Glaswegians just a taste of what Optimo is like. Obscure disco
    sits next to industrial, the Rapture segue into screaming techno, Gang of Four are mixed with a choir of
    schoolchildren singing the Beach Boys. It’s all part of the Optimo experience, which promises to be one of the
    highlights of the year at Backlash!

Their 'Kill The DJ' Mix tracklisting http://www.killthedj.com/recordsoptimo.html

More details & some mixes will be added to this post over the coming days.

More info: www.optimo.co.uk

keithLJonnieRpress.jpg

www.backlash.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭BACKLASH

EXCLUSIVE OFFER // Get Out The Backlash Gold Card!

Stop the press! those two massive world brands Backlash & Carbon Records have joined forces
    to bring you a money saving deal on Optimo's Kill The DJ double Mix CD.
    Simply pop into Carbon Records (In Urban Outfitters) mention Backlash & they'll knock 3eu off the price.

Check out tracklisting here: http://www.optimo.co.uk/killthedj.htm

killdj.jpg

Line.gif

Tickets are now on sale in Carbon Records

Some Optimo mixes for listening and download.

Listen to Optimo New Year Mix:
    http://tigrou.tigersushi.com:8081/mixes/player.php?MixName=optimo_xmas

Download the Optimo 'Slightly Spaced' Mix:
    http://www.optimo.co.uk/slightly%20spaced%20mix.mp3

Download the Optimo 'What On Earth' Mix:
    http://www.optimo.co.uk/what%20on%20earth%20mix.mp3

in no paticular order, Optimo charts as kindly provided by Jonnie Wilkes..

Anthony and the Jonsons "The Lake" (Secretly Canadian)
    A haunting and up-lifting work of extreme beauty. Not a dry-eye in the house.

Monolake - "Invisible" (Monolake/Imbalance Computer Music)
    Proper Dark Electro with "Space Station" style vox. Sounds old hat I know,right? but this is the real thing. Sonic brilliance.

Syclops " Mom, The Video Broke " (Tirk)
    Like nothing else, (except perhaps Dick Hyman?s Moog??) ? with Maurice Fulton?s incredible drum production for new dancefloors, good weird.

MoodMusic Unreleased Vol6. "Give me House" - Klaus Wunderbaum Mix (MoodMusic Ltd)
    Great Acid Hoose. I remember

Zoo Brazil "Big Sister" (Cartridge)
    Weird and chirpy square wave acid action. Great zaps throughout. Something really fresh about this.

Rekid "Tranzit" (from Era EP) (Microsolutions to Megaproblems ? Soul Jazz)
    Great rough sounding, slow-motion disco track at a sleazy 105 BPM .

Midnight Mike "Creatures of Habit" (Republic of Desire), Promo
    Forthcoming on this great new Paris based label.
    Space disco schaffel beat gem, tripping the whole party out.

Jonathan Vance " Sylvia the Eagle" - JD Twitch Optimo Mix (Run-Roc Records), Promo
    Wild and wonky myriad of punchy drums, punk vocal and Contortions style sax licks, then the synth lands on you and well....

LCD Soundsystem " Yr City City's a Sucker" (DFA) usa only 12"
    Originally the B-Side to the "Movement" 45, here is the full 12" and Instrumental versions of this great and wonderfully paced groove-a-thon.

MoonDog "Pastoral Sweet" (Moco EP001)
    Played by Moondog and his Wife Suzuko in the early fifties in NYC, carefully remastered to vinyl and sounding enchanting to say the least. Who said "never trust a hippy"?

Crash Course in Science - Flying Turns (J.G. Willkes Edit) ? Kill the DJ/ Tigersushi
    Coming soon .Some new drums and edits on this great homemade sounding racket from 25yrs ago.

Final update on Thursdays show....

Just to let you all know that there'll be a few beers for the first lucky punters to arrive at the Optimo in-store DJ set in Carbon tomorrow (Thursday @ 6:30pm).

Finally, you can also buy tickets to the Backlash gig in the shop.

Carbon Records,
    Urban Outfitters
    4 Cecilia Street
    Temple Bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I seen Wilkes in galway on saturday night......... Went down a storm. Id love to see the full optimo set up, bloody work on friday or Id be there.......... Hope its a great night.

We give out sick notes at the venue if you want one.

Advertisement