Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a creative GF 2 ULTRA 64ddr :)

Options
  • 10-05-2001 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Humm is this the right board for this ?

Well this is the score we/new company yada yada yada Are i need of a web site (if youve seen ours youll understand)We have had many offers from some of your goodselfs and we arnt sure who to go with sooooo .We figured we would run a competion and whoever comes up with the best site walks off as payment and winners prize of a creative blaster Geforce 2 64ddr ultra graphics card worth £395 Let us know what you think if people are intrested we will set it up smile.gif.

Stone biggrin.gif
    btw does it cost to get put on a search engine ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

might be better off in Webmaster.. I'll copy it there when I'm back on in half an hour smile.gif

as for search engines.. cost nothing.
    get your hands on WebPosition Gold.. it will submit your sites, as well as giving ranking tips, and reports on how your site is ranked with the various engines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

£395 for a website? God love us, the bottom really has dropped out of the market. Nua'll turn in its grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

That is a disgusting way of getting someone to make your site stone (btw you can get other branded gf2 ultra for around £215 irish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteLancer:
    That is a disgusting way of getting someone to make your site stone (btw you can get other branded gf2 ultra for around £215 irish)</font>
    How is it disgusting ? Most webdesign places charge crazy money for web "solutions", and hey, if someone wants a new card, this is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Yes, in what way did it disgust you. You sound like one of those ould' ones that ring RTE every time they see a nipple on the telly.
    STFU.

Why does it disgust me? Well because hes telling you your getting almost double what you really are, money devaluates a lot slower than PC parts, he calls it a competition.
    Oh and canaboid, suck my balls big boy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think Canaboid should be banned for saying nipple.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Lancer, count yerself lucky you didn't live in the age of bartering...

I say fair play... if you are reasonably skilled in webdesign.. maybe in secondary school or whatever.. then what would be wrong with getting a top end gfx card.. (which most people would love).
    Stone gets a good site, someone gets a good card and everyone is happy (except lancer).

Looks to me like he is merely trying to support the people on Boards who I'm sure are keen to support him in his start-up venture and I know for a fact that him handing over a card with a srp of £400 is preferable to him than 400 notes...

good luck stone...

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stonemason:
    We figured we would run a competion and whoever comes up with the best site walks off as payment and winners prize of a creative blaster Geforce 2 64ddr ultra graphics card worth £395</font>

Hmm, not worded perfectly it could be that you get payment and the card, but it aint clear in any way.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Licksy20:
    Lancer, count yerself lucky you didn't live in the age of bartering...

I say fair play... if you are reasonably skilled in webdesign.. maybe in secondary school or whatever.. then what would be wrong with getting a top end gfx card.. (which most people would love).
    Stone gets a good site, someone gets a good card and everyone is happy (except lancer).

Looks to me like he is merely trying to support the people on Boards who I'm sure are keen to support him in his start-up venture and I know for a fact that him handing over a card with a srp of £400 is preferable to him than 400 notes...

good luck stone...

</font>

Of course he wants cheap web design and if course handing over a card worth £395 but costing £250 is preferable. It's not a compo ffs, its just him handing out a gfx instead of paying people in cash. I know quite a lot of teenagers who web design and make good money licksy..

Im sorry i just think he should use the normal method of paying people for their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteLancer:
    (btw you can get other branded gf2 ultra for around £215 irish)</font>

... which, of course, wouldn't even buy 1/2 a day's professional development time.

Get a student to do it or something. Sorry, but most professional web developers wouldn't touch it for that price.

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Its ok for kiddies, but a couple of hundred is bugger all for a company to pay for some design work to be done.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Fair play Stone - I see a lot of our younger readers and community members who are damn good web dev guys and because they're still in scondary school, they don't get taken too seriously.

I do web sites for a living - if someone offered me that as payment, I'd decline, but these guys need experience and this is the perfect opportunity - you get sorted and they get a pretty sweet video card!

Don't mind the begrudgers and good luck with the new business.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So I turned around to Jack Charlton and said: "Well of course it's not a football Jack, it's an '86 Chardonay!!!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Lancer I understand.. I wasn't trying to be (too) smart...

My point is that if he can get someone to do this, accepting the card as payment, well it's a good business deal for him.. fair play.
    If someone is willing to do this, surely they are going to be happy with the card as payment.
    If you can get £500 for a days consultancy, you are hardly going to be wasting your time on this one are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Whitelancer if you don't want to do it why not just **** off. Your probably **** at web design anyway. Stone is offering a nice card to *anyone* who comes up with a good site. He just started a business so I'm sure cash is short and this is a nice way to get a site done and a nice way for some one to get a card. Everyones happy.

.logic.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Licksy20:
    Lancer I understand.. I wasn't trying to be (too) smart...

My point is that if he can get someone to do this, accepting the card as payment, well it's a good business deal for him.. fair play.
    If someone is willing to do this, surely they are going to be happy with the card as payment.
    If you can get £500 for a days consultancy, you are hardly going to be wasting your time on this one are you?
    </font>

It's being called a competition...

Logic ill say something you can understand, suck my balls you stupid ****ing pe0n

And it is a competition like any other.. the competition is to make a website the prize is a graphics card... which part of this causes you difficulty is beyond me. Maybe it's your minute brain which can't handle the concept of a prize been given to a prize winner. Lately every post you've made had turned totally sociable threads into flame wars.
    I'll say something you can understand... you're an idiot. Your just as bad as joe22 and just as clueless. In fact I rather reading his posts than looking at your drivel.

.logic.

[This message has been edited by logic1 (edited 11-05-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Jeez... calm down ladies!

The simple fact remains that what is being asked normally costs far more than the "prize" being offered, if you were to get a professional to do it. It's simply not worth their time.

So for a student, or someone just starting out, it could be a handy little nixer with a nice little bonus, and the chance to get some experience also ... but for someone like myself, or any other web developer (a lot of whom can be tied by their employment contract into not doing nixers or extra web work outside of the company they work for), it's not really worth considering at that price.

Sorry, but that's the simple truth.

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

• Advertisement

The point being the guy never asked for a professional and am sure he didn't expect a professional to volunteer. It's perfect for a student and I think an excellant idea. So anyone want to stop critisizing and have a go? If someone doesn't volunteer soon I'm gonna do it myself. (maybe hehe)

.logic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I think it's an excellant idea too
    I mut sa that if I was into web design and I was decent at it, I'd give it a go, its good for the experiene too
    and I know some teenagers who ****ed off because they cna't do web designing for company's and here's a perfect chance open to all age's
    good idea in my opnion smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Jeez lads hehehe

I think logic has covered most of the points the reason for this was simply there was a few kind souls offered to do a webby for us and not wanting to be bias we thought let everyone (who wants to) have a go.Seirously though we have just started up money is tight and we couldnt have afforded to go professional.Knowing there are a few talented lads and lasses here on the boards who arnt in the business but have an eye in that direction we thought this might be a good platform to show off there wares so to speak.We would be more than happy for them to do alittle advertising on the site and full credit would be asigned to them.So please ya damned doom-sayers get back in ya boxes before i hitcha with a big stick hehehe

Stone biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 11-05-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Well said stoney, but what would we be designing the site for, I mean what technologies could we use, asp, sql, cgi etc...

That point is muchos important, I for one even though I am in college would love to get my foot in the door to the internet industry and that is the perfect way, but its a pretty tough job unless you have the knowledge of technologies allowable.

Also is there a special server for entrants so that they can all use the same technology and noone has an unfair advantage.

Baz_

P.S. whitelancer calm down, if you don't want to enter don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bludgeon

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stonemason:
    btw does it cost to get put on a search engine ?</font>

No it doesn't cost anything to have it in a search engine ... HOWEVER ... if you want your web site to be returned in the first say 'x' amount of results it will ... its not a coincidence after all that the big name companies always appear within the first 10 results all the time ...

As for the 'competition' i already have a GF2 GTS but ill still consider it ... it depends on what you want done ... eg

large / small site ...
    forms
    database
    encryption
    frames etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bludgeon

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by logic1:
    Whitelancer if you don't want to do it why not just **** off. Your probably **** at web design anyway. Stone is offering a nice card to *anyone* who comes up with a good site. He just started a business so I'm sure cash is short and this is a nice way to get a site done and a nice way for some one to get a card. Everyones happy.

.logic.
    </font>
    W3RD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭[fist]Snowball

U guys have huge poles up ur asses!!!

CHILL THE FU<K OUT!!!!!!

Snowball.

Another sign in name ... he ... whats new.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Robbie Burke

I sent you a couple of emails about it [ addresses:: syinide@iol.ie | birke@indigo.ie ]

Anyways, I can do pretty much anything you want that your server can handle, including a couple of the features I mentioned in my second email. Anyways, I can do all the following:

HTML [ Coding ]
    DHTML [ Coding ]
    SSI Implementation [ Various Functions ]
    CGI [ Scripting ]
    PHP [ Scripting ]
    MySQL [ Databases ]
    JavaScript [ Scripting ]
    Graphics [ Images ]
    Flash [ Animations, Interactivity ]

I can also help you setup an on-line shop. Anyways, reply to me if your interested.

:: syinide@iol.ie or birke@indigo.ie ::

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Huuum

I have to admit i know next to nothing about websites so in the spirit of democracy i reckon as of say 6pm saturday night(tonight) till 6pm monday night all those that wouldnt mind having a go should all vote for there favourite method of coding and whichever get the most votes is it ok.Having said that id ask you to bare in mind it may be wise to pick a popular comerical code as if the site gets some esteemed visiters (bosses with big wallets biggrin.gif )then it maybe good to see your able to use a mainstream code.As for content all we realy need is a clear attractive site that is easy for me to maintain as i dont get much time these days smile.gifand of course to be on a search engine or two hehehe as for secure orders online we dont realy need it as alot of people still prefer to phone an order through.What i will do is come tuesday night for all those that are intrested ill E-Mail the details to you.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Robbie Burke

I believe a rephrase is needed on that last message Stonemason, well, for me anyway? confused.gif

Advertisement