Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a creative GF 2 ULTRA 64ddr :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

MY HEAD HURTS smile.gif

All these damned codes scripts and what not Ok rethink use what ever methods you feel like as long as the site looks good it doesnt realy matter to us how you go about it i was lead to beleive some people would get some kind of advantage from useing certain technics but at the end of the day i reckon talent will win out rather than flashing lights whistles and bells CHOO CHOO hehehe soz i was up until 6am this morning building frown.gif .I not sure wether to ban professionals i have had a couple of fellas write to me offering there services but i would like it to be someone just starting out and would benefit the most from the advertising and shhtuff.I dont know though is that realy fair either ?.

Stone smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

There is no "one method", Stone- a combination of all the above which Robbie mentioned could be good - in my case with SQL2000 instead of mySQL, ASP instead of PHP and ASP controlled server components instead of CGI. Of course that would require a Windows NT server...

I'm not pitching for the job though smile.gif

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 12-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

TBH i know **** all about this mysql stuff, but what i do know is how to make a site. Im ok atgraphics and i know my way around flash, and im 16 so any money coming to me is a bonus as all of the sites i have done to date have been for free and because i like it. So give us a shout

dave@nethousegames.com

my most recent site is

http://ir.netshop.ie

(Whitelancer is a mong and he smells of wee)

-Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Robbie Burke

Stone, I don't really getcha, do you want us all to make a design and you choose the best one?

Anyways, I can work on any kind of server really but UNIX or a *NIX variant would be best for me, so, if thtas what your hosted on...brilliant!

I am 14 and have written various CGI scripts for people, and could probably get >10 recommendations for speed of work, quality of work and consultancy work.

Also, a GeForce 2Ultra 64MB DDR would be brilliant, especially considering at the moment I have a TNT2 M64 32MB piece of ****. Damn, why did I have to spend all my money of Visual Studio!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Robbie why not just post up some links to your past work instead of getting your buddies to recommend you. Then we can all have a look see and your "clients" get a couple extra impressions wink.gif

Very nice work there Irishassasin. I think I've seen some of your other stuff.. very nice.

.logic.

• Advertisement

Skeptical person aren't we logic1.

Well, I have shown Stonemason some of my designs and HE is happy with them, so, thats all I care about.

Excellent design irishassasin! I love the navigation system.

I don't suppose logic1 will be happy until I show him a design, so, here ya go, just for you: http://slamwo.hypermart.net/logic1/ . oh, for those of you who care thats a real design, not just a page slagging logic1 off.

[This message has been edited by Robbie Burke (edited 13-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

LOL You say your 14 and all that but sticking up a site straight out of a template and then claiming you designed it is taking the **** just more than a bit.

.logic.

And what template would you be referring to? That design was 100% my own work. If you can point me a website with that exact design or even something that 9/10 would call remarkably similar. Or, a software package that includes a template like that then I will believe your false claims.

THAT WORK WAS 100% MY OWN

Come on lads no flames please take it to the troll board if you want to argue.
    The main idea is for those that are intrested in winning a geforce 64DDR ultra card by makeing the best website for us to use to promote our business and hopefully get something decent to put in there portfolios for future reference.So to the rules, simply put we need a website with menus to ready built systems/hardrives/cpu/motherboards ect ect (pictures of components would be nice)A welcome page which makes people go wow (hehe) Id quite like a guest book for coments (that only except nice comments JK smile.gif ) a contact page and to be put on as many search engines as possible in other words a good site.Time being of the essence i would say e-mail me at <wcp@eircom.net> over the next week and ill suply information ie name contact info and updated prices the comp finishs two weeks from next friday (25th) we would like to see all the sites posted on a temp site then a short time after we will select a winner and the card will be sent to that person el pronto.Good luck to you all and get cracking three weeks will pass quickly.
    We will not pick the best of a bad bunch the site has to be something we can use.The winning site will have to become our property though we garauntee the winner the right to advertise on what will become our site with in reason of course half page banners wouldnt go down well smile.gif.One more thing highjacking other peoples websites and just changing text will not be tolerated we are talking disqualification ooooooo big word hehehe.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭zeemoud

first of all you should get a good name like next-weekend.com and give people listings of whats on where and send the ones appropriate for them on via SMS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Nice design Robbie... though I'd recommend you work on your gradients (the top banner has some problems) and also getting things balanced vertically and horizontally (as anyone who tries to design in HTML knows, tables are brilliant, and a b***h! smile.gif )

Just some constructive critiscm.

It rained in San Francisco Wednesday evening, but the penguins were
    still there Thursday morning, smiling broadly.

The gradients at the top are ph00ked up, was a rush design to shut logic1 up, anyways, I know how great tables are, and how much of a pain in the ph00king **** they are!! I only checked that design in IE as it was a rush, if I end up doing a design for Stonemason it will work at all resolutions and browsers..within reason (i.e NS/IE 4+ and minimum resolution off 800*600, i might drop that to 640*480 though)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

comes out with loads of blank space between the header and the main body of the page... on IE for the Mac.

Otherwise, quite nice for a quick job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It hardly "shut logic up" though, and he's right... it just looks like a standard web site template, like what they used to have on www.websitetemplates.com

rolleyes.gif sheesh rolleyes.gif

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

I'll send you a mock-up by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

He is right the layout does look stolen. I dont get the whole I'm only 14 thing though a lot of people are young I am and I know the following.
    HTML
    XML
    WML
    Dhtml
    CFML
    Css
    Javascript
    VB
    ASP
    PHP
    SQL 2000
    MySql
    Access
    then I know some perl,actually my php isnt brilliant I love Coldfusion, here is a very good page why you should learn it instead of JSP/ASP
    http://www.cfm-resources.com/cf_asp_jsp.cfm

If you want to consider me for the job Stonemason that would be nice smile.gif my latest work is www.damnyanks.com the design isnt amazing I dont like the graphics that much but I'm improving the CTS I can just about update the whole site through web pages I made

Hehehe

Hi there justhalf howd did the upgrade go ? gwan whats she clocked at smile.gif .

Stone biggrin.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stonemason:
    Hi there justhalf howd did the upgrade go ? gwan whats she clocked at smile.gif .</font>
    Grand, though the multiplier isn't unlocked. It's running at 1331 (10.0 multiplier, 133/33 FSB) at 55 degrees C.

What cooling are you useing ? as i said before my supplier has one from the very same tray i brought back he has it on a kt7a raid board with 133 ram and he has his steady at 1.5 he had to knock up the volts slightly he,s also useing a speeze copper based heatsink and fan even alowing for chip variation id have thought you would have gotten alittle more out of it hehehe.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stonemason:
    even alowing for chip variation id have thought you would have gotten alittle more out of it hehehe. </font>
    I'm not going to push it until I get decent cooling! smile.gif

• Advertisement

And rightly so no point in wasting a chip coz of a decent fan. smile.gif

Stone biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 nard

listen stone,

if i was to throw a nice design your way and make a nice site devoid of asp/and php, and all that lark, would it have a chance of winning ?

i wont waste my time if it has to be scripted cos frankly i suck with that, but a sweet looking page i MIGHT be able to manage ...

smile.gif

and ehhh when does it have to be done by ... ?

uh i just looked at the original date of postage ... u still up for it, gimme till wednesday next and i might have something by then if so ...

[This message has been edited by nard (edited 19-05-2001).]

We are taking each site on its own merits the main points being eye catching, easy to navigate, and easy to for me to keep updated.We dont want people to just steal someone elses site and changeing a couple of things as A, its not nice and B, we dont want irate webbys giving us greif for steal there site.Thats about all there is to it.

Stone biggrin.gif

I just got a e-mail from stone mason with a nice file attached. What do you think it was? Well I'll tell you smile.gif it was his freakin inventory! The guy sent it in a .doc and expected someone to go through all of it and put it into a databasel. Then make a site probaly update it and so on for at most 250(thats how much graphics card costs?). I dont even think a desperate student would touch it, maybe that 14 year old that steals other peoples work but thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

thats not nice now damnyanks, ever hear of a file parser. They're pretty easy to do, I'm sure the file is well ordered, so get over it.

Of course i sent a list guess what im rather busy at the mo so it was easier to send a list than break it down into catagorys for you.The idea was that you should see what it is we are selling and what we have in stock so you can put the apropriate headings for each catergory if this is to much like hard work for you go and do something else.As for the card being £250 where exactly did you see it for that prices coz i sure as hell havent seen any 64ddr ultra`s in ireland for that price we sell them at a very reasonable £365 and we are cheap.

Stone

Sorry if that came out totally wrong but anyway what I mean is your really looking for a proper fully scripted site for dirt cheap. Go into your local newsagent ask for a magnum but offer the price of a penny sweet see what the shop keeper does thats basically what your asking for frown.gif. I know you will find someone to do it plenty of desperate people out there but I think I'll concentrat on my own sites smile.gif. I figured since you never bother replying after a week you had no intention of putting it into a access file that is why I posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

http://www.marx-computers.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=Graphic&cart_id=
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Sparkle Geforce Ultra 64MB

64MB DDR-RAM, AGP4x/2x, NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra
    350Mhz Ramdac, max Resolution 2048x1536 (60Hz)
    High-Quality HDTV/DVD Playback
    Supports Direct3D, OpenGL, DirectX7, DirectDraw
    Win 9x/ NT /2000, Linux

IEP 256.00 incl. VAT 20%

</font>
    If they are that price in ireland, imagine the price in england.

I am aware tehy are sparkle, but im considering buying one of these beasts soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

well damnyanks I completely agree with you a colossal amount of work for **** pay, but the putting of the file into an access file would not take too long, just parse the file and add new records type of thing, vb is your only man for that. I was just defending his right to ask people to do work for him even for **** pay, but yes when I heard that about the text file thingy, I completely discounted it as a possibility.

Oh yeah and anyone who does do it may be being a wee bit foolish, just become a slave, you'll probably get fitter and at about the same rate of pay for the site.

• Advertisement

Slaves work for free biggrin.gif

Advertisement