Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a creative GF 2 ULTRA 64ddr :)

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Try reading the rest of the posts doh If you cant be bothered to read we have covered this a few times WE CANT AFFORD TO PAY A PRO and this competetion is aimed at people doing it in there spare time NOT AS A FULL TIME JOB so get over yourselfs for ffs as for the sparkle being £256 so effing what is it a CREATIVE GEFORCE 64 DDR ULTRA like we are putting up as a prize I think not.

Stone smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Sean

lol biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I saw it, but since its some sort of business your running you could probaly afford somthing more. But since your so bad off how will you afford hosting? If you want to take orders from the net you will need a SSL certificate costing $70, then hosting once again if your using some sort of e-commerce type site you will need a proper database none of this mysql/access malarchy SQL at very least will do. This means hosting charges around 30 a month. So there are a lot of costs other than this. And I know you said you have no money but you really have to be realistic its quite unfair on whoever does the site because they obviously dont know what there getting themseleves into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 nard

yea, i gave up. smile.gif

Do you realy beleive we will make these lads that are trying to make a website for us will have to pay for hosting ? if you do you arent to bright.I shall say it nice and slow so you can understand as all the other posts on this subject seem to have gone over your head firstly we are we are strapped for cash because its all being ploughed back into the business to buy more parts and thus expand the range this is why we cant afford the stupid money alot of web designers think they deserve rolleyes.gif we were quoted £2000 to £5000!! (hosting shouldnt cost more than £200 a year and its free if your willing to put up with advertising).The person that makes the winning site would have nothing to do with the maintaining of the site(though they would get full credit for future employment) i would be updating and such like so it would be a once off for them this is one of the reasons i said the site must be easy to maintain.To listen to you you would think these people could just walk into the city one day and pick up a job doing web design at £50.000 pa wake up and smell the coffee we are looking for amutures who in there spare time can do something they enjoy with the hope of winning a very nice 3d card at the end of it.Sorry to hear your to high and mighty to be bothered with such trivia (shame you find plenty of time to whine here tho)But your not in touch with reality (example)I quit my job to start this i was paid £228 take home for 56 hours a week thought the goverment would like us to beleive the average wage is £400 those that work for a living know better so in affect because i know you have trouble grasping things like this a person doing what they enjoy (ie designing websites)in there spare time who might not be able to buy this card due to the fact they live in the real world of low wages and high bills might find the idea attractive.If everyone pulls out ill simply do it myself. It may take longer but hey im pretty sure ill win the Geforce.

Stone
    Just a word to those still doing there sites all entrys have to be ready for next friday (we start judging) so if you need more info email me k.Good luck biggrin.gif

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to see you cant face the truth and must come down to stupid petty remarks which are 100% wrong making you look the fool frown.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">to make a website for us will have to pay for hosting ? if you do you arent to bright.I shall say it nice and slow so you can understand as all the other posts on this subject seem to have gone over your head</font>
    I never said such thing you must be slow? I said if your going to pay nothing for a site that will have a load of time put into it I cant see you getting any decent hosting putting the site on some crap server with bad down time.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">strapped for cash because its all being ploughed back into the business to buy more parts and thus expand the range this is why we cant afford the stupid money</font>
    Then wait until business is a lot better and get a site, you wont get what your expecting for such a bad price.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    hosting shouldnt cost more than £200 a year and its free if your willing to put up with advertising</font>
    No hosting will cost more than 100 a year but since I'm not some moron like you that has to go putting out a load of crap I will reccomend www.readyhosting.com you will get a nice package for 100 a year which you will not beat any other place. They have started charging 25 for SQL db but you will need to get a larger one so it will cost around 250. A free host isnt a option research the bloody thing! Free hosts = Bad down time, crap support, crap features.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The person that makes the winning site would have nothing to do with the maintaining of the site</font>

Wow you make it sound so easy, research the thing making a web site so easy to maintain that some guy who doesnt know the language can do it is hard.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">we are looking for amutures </font>

Then why do you expect so much in return? Amutures cant do alot do you know why? Well if I have to explain that I dont know what your doing using the word
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Sorry to hear your to high and mighty to be bothered with such trivia </font>
    Not being high and mighty just realistic
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">shame you find plenty of time to whine here tho</font>
    I havent posted that much more than you but I did register like 6 months before ya so what are you on about
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">But your not in touch with reality (example)I quit my job to start this i was paid £228 take home for 56 </font>

Thats just stupid you could work part-time for more.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i know you have trouble grasping things like this a person doing what they enjoy (ie designing websites)in there spare time who might not be able to buy this card due to the fact they live in the real world of low wages and high bills might find the idea attractive.</font>

I am working since I am 13 in a pub, I can no way afford this graphics card it doesnt mean I'll do a **** load of work for peanutes.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If everyone pulls out ill simply do it myself. It may take longer but hey im pretty sure ill win the Geforce.</font>

You see thats the problem your just assuming please do some bloody research!!! You wont learn how to make a excellent database site with admin sections over night or even in a week or so it will take you a few months and it wont be free.
    Not high and mighty just realistic

[This message has been edited by damnyanks (edited 27-05-2001).]

I really cant be arsed with you if you cant even see this isnt about work for some people its there hobby meaning they enjoy it meaning it gives them pleasure meaning they like doing it meaning they want to do it meaning your the thick one as you cant even grasp such a simple concept.We have had offers from people to do it for free but we directed them to this competion to make it fair on those that already started.So do us all a favour and shut up.

Stone

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

damnyanks... I am usually a tolerant person but your continually speaking for other people is píssing me off tongue.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Amutures cant do alot do you know why?… </font>
    Would you have said the same to Tiger Woods on the day before he turned professional? tongue.gif Don’t assume that you know everything about everyone or a particular subject….
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">you wont get what your expecting for such a bad price… </font>
    He has already seen people’s attempts – yet you presume to know that he won’t get what he wanted…?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> its quite unfair on whoever does the site because they obviously dont know what there getting themseleves into…</font>
    I’ll do my best to ignore this one too… merely highlighting it should be enough – well, at least for most people…

After the whinging comments in the beginning, I decided to do an attempt…
    I’m glad I had a go now.. the more people bítch and whine at the concept the more it confirms to me that it must be a good idea.
    To again state the obvious, he got offers of a site for free…
    He decided that this competition would be a nice idea.. giving anyone who wanted an fair shot…

Some people respect the fact that he had the balls to quit his job and give this venture a go… They wanted to help him out a bit.. no more, no less.
    Like me, he is a father of a young child, and is busy up to the arsé.
    Fine, don’t make an attempt at the site if you don’t think it’s a good/fair idea.
    Equally, STFU when posting… you aren’t speaking for me or anyone else.. just you.

Then make a site probaly update it and so on for at most 250(thats how much graphics card costs?)]

Where do i say people will be up-dating AND SO ON ?the so on to me hints at some hidden something. £250 inc vat for a creative Geforce 64mbDDR ultra in irish punts (NEW)tell me where you shop ill by our stuff there.
    Slaves work for free]

Nice way of saying all you guys who are trying to win this compo must be really thick

If your not thick then you must be worse than......
    I dont even think a desperate student would touch it, maybe that 14 year old that steals other peoples work but thats it]

your really looking for a proper fully scripted site for dirt cheap]

AHHHH thats what im looking for is it thanks for letting me know.What would i do without you rolleyes.gif

I figured since you never bother replying after a week you had no intention of putting it into a access file that is why I posted.]

When you start getting up a 4am go to work and not get home untill 3.30pm then try and organise a new business spend a little time with my partner and daughter and do all the other things than come from being a homeowner.Then personaly i would forgive you if you were a little slow in responding.

I saw it, but since its some sort of business your running you could probaly afford somthing more.]

Some sort of business? yes we sell icecream and sweetys rolleyes.gifWe spent all our money on whisky women and song or did we stupidly spend most of it on stock and more standard forms of advertising ie papers.As this is ireland and net culture hasnt fully taken off regardless of all the hype.
    you really have to be realistic its quite unfair on whoever does the site because they obviously dont know what there getting themseleves into.]

Unfair? am i standing behind these lads flogging them with a cat of nine tails or shock horror have they managed to have an idependant thought without you and decided to have a go.And nice a touch at the end there they are so stupid (yet again) they OBVIOUSLY havent a clue what they are getting to.

Then wait until business is a lot better and get a site,]

erm how is business going to get alot better without advertising ?Word of mouth?(papers doing that)Humm shall we go with your astute business ideas or shall we do it the normal way.I think we will stick to our way.
    Wow you make it sound so easy, research the thing making a web site so easy to maintain that some guy who doesnt know the language can do it is hard.]

Well ive already been show two sites that all i had to do was change what ever i wanted by simply typing.As for research what are you on about price/contact info/and an eye pleasing front page.Now this may sound flipent as i know there is a lot of work involed but research! any info people want they simply have to ask me.
    Not being high and mighty just realistic.]

No your not your being pesamistic.
    Thats just stupid you could work part-time for more.]

Thats why i turned my nose up at these wonderfull part time jobs and Decided it would be better to be paid a pitance for long hours DOH silly me.

Then why do you expect so much in return? Amutures cant do alot do you know why? Well if I have to explain that I dont know what your doing using the word.]

Tell that to the olympic team.
    And while your at it have a word with bill gates i think youll find he was an amature once.Are you a full time fully paid qualified web designer? if not your classed as an amature
    I havent posted that much more than you but I did register like 6 months before ya so what are you on about.]

For starters if first posted on these boards on the 21.06.200 under the name THE SPERMINATOR which means ive been a more active poster than you this is true (my point was the whineing) but when i post i dont snipe at people nor do i try to belittle those who...though they maybe working in a crappy jobs they hate at the moment dream of one day doing a job they enjoy(ie webpages)and getting well paid for it as far as im concerned these people deserve all the encouragement they can get.
    I am working since I am 13 in a pub, I can no way afford this graphics card it doesnt mean I'll do a **** load of work for peanutes.]

He tells me of all the wonderfull part time jobs that pay so much and in the same breath tells me he cant afford to buy these cards.Have you some kind of disabilty that prevents your from doing these super paid part time jobs or are you just alergig to vacaline as this is the only thing i can think of that you could earn so much part time.(low i know but hell im having fun biggrin.gif )
    You see thats the problem your just assuming please do some bloody research]

I have be researching the cost of parts the cost of transportaion how best to avoid incureing exess taxes how to keep overheads as low as possible to maintain the lowest prices posible shall i go on or do you get the point.I am doing what i dreamed of all those years slaveing away at crappy jobs i hated to pay the bills.I dont profess to having a great intrest in web design to me its a means to an end but to other people on these boards its there goal and i wish them all the best of luck and would add stick at it though there will always be certain people who will try to put you down to raise themselfs up.

So endeth the sermon hehehe soz guys got alittle carried away there

Stone biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Then make a site probaly update it and so on for at most 250(thats how much graphics card costs?)</font>
    Where do i say people will be up-dating AND SO ON ?the so on to me hints at some hidden something. £250 inc vat for a creative Geforce 64mbDDR ultra in irish punts (NEW)tell me where you shop ill by our stuff there.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Slaves work for free</font>

Nice way of saying all you guys who are trying to win this compo must be really thick

If your not thick then you must be worse than......
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I dont even think a desperate student would touch it, maybe that 14 year old that steals other peoples work but thats it</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> your really looking for a proper fully scripted site for dirt cheap</font>

AHHHH thats what im looking for is it thanks for letting me know.What would i do without you

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> I figured since you never bother replying after a week you had no intention of putting it into a access file that is why I posted.</font>

When you start getting up a 4am go to work and not get home untill 3.30pm then try and organise a new business spend a little time with my partner and daughter and do all the other things than come from being a homeowner.Then personaly i would forgive you if you were a little slow in responding.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> I saw it, but since its some sort of business your running you could probaly afford somthing more.</font>

Some sort of business? yes we sell icecream and sweetys We spent all our money on whisky women and song or did we stupidly spend most of it on stock and more standard forms of advertising ie papers.As this is ireland and net culture hasnt fully taken off regardless of all the hype.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> you really have to be realistic its quite unfair on whoever does the site because they obviously dont know what there getting themseleves into.</font>

Unfair? am i standing behind these lads flogging them with a cat of nine tails or shock horror have they managed to have an idependant thought without you and decided to have a go.And nice a touch at the end there they are so stupid (yet again) they OBVIOUSLY havent a clue what they are getting to.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Then wait until business is a lot better and get a site,</font>

erm how is business going to get alot better without advertising ?Word of mouth?(papers doing that)Humm shall we go with your astute business ideas or shall we do it the normal way.I think we will stick to our way.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Wow you make it sound so easy, research the thing making a web site so easy to maintain that some guy who doesnt know the language can do it is hard.</font>

Well ive already been show two sites that all i had to do was change what ever i wanted by simply typing.As for research what are you on about price/contact info/and an eye pleasing front page.Now this may sound flipent as i know there is a lot of work involed but research! any info people want they simply have to ask me.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Not being high and mighty just realistic.</font>

No your not your being pesamistic.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Thats just stupid you could work part-time for more.</font>

Thats why i turned my nose up at these wonderfull part time jobs and Decided it would be better to be paid a pitance for long hours DOH silly me.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Then why do you expect so much in return? Amutures cant do alot do you know why? Well if I have to explain that I dont know what your doing using the word.</font>

Tell that to the olympic team.
    And while your at it have a word with bill gates i think youll find he was an amature once.Are you a full time fully paid qualified web designer? if not your classed as an amature
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> I havent posted that much more than you but I did register like 6 months before ya so what are you on about.</font>

For starters if first posted on these boards on the 21.06.200 under the name THE SPERMINATOR which means ive been a more active poster than you this is true (my point was the whineing) but when i post i dont snipe at people nor do i try to belittle those who...though they maybe working in a crappy jobs they hate at the moment dream of one day doing a job they enjoy(ie webpages)and getting well paid for it as far as im concerned these people deserve all the encouragement they can get.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I am working since I am 13 in a pub, I can no way afford this graphics card it doesnt mean I'll do a **** load of work for peanutes.</font>

He tells me of all the wonderfull part time jobs that pay so much and in the same breath tells me he cant afford to buy these cards.Have you some kind of disabilty that prevents your from doing these super paid part time jobs or are you just alergig to vacaline as this is the only thing i can think of that you could earn so much part time.(low i know but hell im having fun )
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You see thats the problem your just assuming please do some bloody research</font>

I have be researching the cost of parts the cost of transportaion how best to avoid incureing exess taxes how to keep overheads as low as possible to maintain the lowest prices posible shall i go on or do you get the point.I am doing what i dreamed of all those years slaveing away at crappy jobs i hated to pay the bills.I dont profess to having a great intrest in web design to me its a means to an end but to other people on these boards its there goal and i wish them all the best of luck and would add stick at it though there will always be certain people who will try to put you down to raise themselfs up.

So endeth the sermon hehehe soz guys got alittle carried away there

Stone

(soz sperm, was bored and it looked terrible)

• Advertisement

LOL damn you thats what i was trying to do hehehe thx

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Lo Stonemason...

im interested in ur Geforce....
    Heres my latest site...

Contact me through it if ur interested....

Mail : inferi_victus@hotmail.com
    Irc : #-isf- on QuakeNet

Hi Diabolus

Your cutting it abit fine as the competion has been running for the last two weeks and ends next friday we are looking for a site for us to specificaly use to promote our new business.So its up to you if you can turn out a site by friday you stand as much chance as everyone else thats entered.

all the best
    Stone biggrin.gif
    ps give iori a slap for me will ya he was making my life unusaly hard the the other night in cs hehehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

damnyanks ...

just had a look at yar website.

Is THAT what professionals produce? smile.gif

http://homepage.eircom.net/~yoyoyo/jerk2/

.relax wink.gif

[This message has been edited by ste (edited 28-05-2001).]

Well since your trying to twist words and so on I'll make this my last reply since it's turning into a flame.

1. I only work 1 night a week maybe 2, I have a lot of bill's hosting costs me around 90 a month I make about 60-70 of that back from the sites. Phone credit and going out costs a lot as well. But If I was to work 2 nights I would make 100+

2. Business can do well from word of mouth. My site is only up like 2 weeks and yesterday it got the following,
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Server Activity Totals for Period:
    Total sessions served : 520
    Total hits made on server : 18531
    Total page view hits : 5947
    Total non page view hits : 12584
    Total time spent by all sessions : 132984 seconds
    Total bandwidth : 75109.12 kilobytes</font>

Now of course you will say thats not a business etc. but I got all that traffic through word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

stonemason, can you give me the link for the current website? thanks

adnans

Bleh broke my word already thanks to ste biggrin.gif I know the site layout sucks I spent a load more time making the scripts if you saw the backend you would understand I think its quite good. I made the template in about 10 mins and was looking really good until I had to put in the hidious nav bar and graphc titles

Damyanks

I never wanted a flame as the bottom of page 1 clearly states But you cant go stomping on so many people (regardless of if you were not thinking at the time) and expect not to get a reaction.Having said that you yourself are the kind of people much like alot of lads lasses here that im personaly inpressed with for taking what they like doing and trying to make a living out of it.So as far as im concerned thats the end of it and best of luck to you in the future smile.gif

Stone smile.gif

adnans you can find the site here (dont laugh or ill slap ya hehehe smile.gif
    http://w.c.p-computers.20m.com/

Diabolus Take a look in my profile youll find an e-mail for me mail me and ill send as much info as you need smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Right, I have some roughs here:
    http://redbrick.dcu.ie/~minds/wades/index.html

I supose we did time it rather badly but as im no spring chicken i wasnt to know exams were on doh.But the fact remains we set friday as the closing date if we dont stick to it this could drag on for months not only that its not fair on those that have been busting there respective humps to get there sites finished in time.Having said that as i said before if there is nothing suitable that we can use there maybe an extension but i dout this will happen. biggrin.gif

Stone biggrin.gif
    ps those mock-ups look pretty damned funky hehehe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stonemason:
    ps those mock-ups look pretty damned funky hehehe</font>
    If you would prefer those designs that I have shown tell me, and I'll do them, and throw in a nice few perl snippets as well smile.gif

The thing is, I could set up any of these sites from the roughs in two days.

Advertisement