Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband In Trinity hall

• 19-03-2005 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭redsupper

Hi people I am doing msiss in tcd next yr and prob staying in trinity hall, whats the story with broadband in trinity hall? can you get it in your room?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

yes its connected via a 100mbit leased line off esat to the main campus, so bb but firewalled.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭redsupper

oh great thanks and how much does that cost??
    Can people share files over a network system>?

Its free...

As for filesharing thats prohibited, but how much its enforced i don't know.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

even uncopyrighted file sharing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

off the record, not enforced. its apparently very very easy to run an internal dc++ hub or something along those lines.

• Advertisement

even uncopyrighted file sharing?
    the college AUP is kinda strict on alot of stuff..... i doubt P2P is completely prohibited, but even some forms of non-copyright stuff probally is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Basquillech

Hi just a q about bb in the trinity campus, the one where 1st yrs go,
    how is the bb set up,
    what does my laptop need
    is it wireless?
    thanks
    Basquillech is online now Edit/Delete Message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

see this page for more info:

http://isservices.tcd.ie/network/wireless.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 livingupatree

Most people who want to share music files in trinity hall just download itunes for free and listen to each others music through that. A cracked version of this program called mytunes redux or something like that is also available, which allows you to copy music from other users' shared folder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Question about applying for rooms on campus - what exactly are they looking for when you fill out that form?

And has anyone here ever lived on campus, and got any tips/advice/experiences to share? Is it better or worse than renting a house somewhere in the dart/luas belt?

• Advertisement

well, for one thing, you have no rights. you are not a tenant, you are a "paying guest".

the trinity accomodation ****e seems really cockeyed to me tbh.

crash_000 wrote:
    well, for one thing, you have no rights. you are not a tenant, you are a "paying guest".

the trinity accomodation ****e seems really cockeyed to me tbh.
    na its just setup to give them the most possible power.....as you'd do in their position...

everyone i know who's live on campus has a good time....sure its a bit full of rules but ye get over that....

Mate of mine got some security guard in halls getting him called up to the junior dean because he was swearing while your man passed his door. had to write an apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I lived on campus for a year. The convenience really can't be beaten, and i had a lot of fun, but you can end up a little 'Trinity Institutionalised' - there was once a week and a half when i didn't leave the campus even once, enerything you need is there.

The rules and regs are a bit of a pain, but they do protect you in a way as if your neighbour (and in some parts of campus you're really living on top of each other) is acting the magget, loud music, banging doors, parties, etc - especially coming up to exams, there is a recourse. The Junior Dean did a really patronising talk at the start of the year, he flashed up a picture of a brothel on the screen and reminded us we were there to study - but he did have a kind of a point. I've lived in some places where i've had to contend with loud parties and crying babies all night... I don't care if people want to have fun, but if I have a 9am lecture and an assignment to finish don't interfere with my concentration.

The tourists were a bit of a pain, at weekends it was a little spooky and empty, but i do miss it sometimes. Especially after midnight when the gates are locked and front square feels like your own back garden. Also, living on campus you get to know a lot of other people - there's a real 'campus residents' social scene if you make the effort.

And, if you treat security as human beings they're lovely back to you. They get so much abuse off some Trinity brats, and i think they get an undeserved reputation. I found them to be really nice guys.

When applying emphasise involvement in the college community, any societies
    or volunteering, eg VdP or voluntary tuition help - but, don't get carried away with works of fiction as they do sort of check up on the statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

cuckoo wrote:
    I lived on campus for a year. The convenience really can't be beaten, and i had a lot of fun, but you can end up a little 'Trinity Institutionalised' - there was once a week and a half when i didn't leave the campus even once, enerything you need is there.

The rules and regs are a bit of a pain, but they do protect you in a way as if your neighbour (and in some parts of campus you're really living on top of each other) is acting the magget, loud music, banging doors, parties, etc - especially coming up to exams, there is a recourse. The Junior Dean did a really patronising talk at the start of the year, he flashed up a picture of a brothel on the screen and reminded us we were there to study - but he did have a kind of a point. I've lived in some places where i've had to contend with loud parties and crying babies all night... I don't care if people want to have fun, but if I have a 9am lecture and an assignment to finish don't interfere with my concentration.

The tourists were a bit of a pain, at weekends it was a little spooky and empty, but i do miss it sometimes. Especially after midnight when the gates are locked and front square feels like your own back garden. Also, living on campus you get to know a lot of other people - there's a real 'campus residents' social scene if you make the effort.

And, if you treat security as human beings they're lovely back to you. They get so much abuse off some Trinity brats, and i think they get an undeserved reputation. I found them to be really nice guys.

When applying emphasise involvement in the college community, any societies
    or volunteering, eg VdP or voluntary tuition help - but, don't get carried away with works of fiction as they do sort of check up on the statements.
    Cool, thank you, that's exactly the kind of info I wanted.
    How did you find sharing an apartment with 4 or 5 (or however many) other people? And were you sharing with people you knew? If I get a room it's gonna be with complete strangers..

There were five of us sharing a kitchen in front square. We'd never met before, and as we all had different time tables we didn't really see all that much of each other. The bedrooms were quite large (mine had two arm chairs and room for a lot more) so if we'd friends visiting we'd tend to sit in our rooms talking rather than the tiny kitchen.

In other apartments like goldsmith people seem to get to know each other quite well as the kitchens have seats in them and space for televisions.

In Botany Bay people apply in pairs to share apartments, same as for some of the two bedroom with sitting room apartments in the older parts of college.

I got on fine with the people I was sharing with, pleasant conversations when we met in the kitchen but other than that everyone got on with their own thing and stayed out of each other's hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ens

Trinity hall is easy enough to use p2p on internally, but all outgoing p2p traffic is pretty much blocked. There's no simple way of getting around it. There's already a p2p hub running constantly which can be accessed from trinity hall. http://trinityhall.dyndns.org for more info.

Yeah crash_000 in ref to your post above, i was the guy that got called up for swearing while a guard was outside my door. It was really stupid how I can't even speak the way I want to in my own home. Also a load of pellet guns were confiscated from me and a friend and despite the fact that possession of these guns are not illegal they were taken and destroyed by the security guards. Without even giving me a letter or anything.

Any attempts to get in contact with anyone responsible were blocked by trinity hall accomodation office staff and the security guards alike. Contact with the junior dean of college was made but the case was dismissed as a non-issue, despite the fact that these were new 70 euro worth of pellet guns that even were passed by customs with no problems. Obviously bredan tangney (junior dean) can't even follow his own rules, because the college calendar says that any action such as those taken in this case must be notified by letter to me so that i can make an appeal.

So yes, you are pretty much their bitch once you enter halls, and i severely do not recommend staying more than 1 year or it'll drive you crazy.

The only factors that would make you want to live there are the broadband internet and the proximity to loads of fellow students ;-)

And as for people that think that the noise is unreasonable. Maybe you should have thought before moving in that living in blocks of apartments alongside over one and a half thousand students might be a bit noisy. So just deal with it and buy some ear plugs if you have problems. Some people move into trinity hall and require laboratory condition silence in order to sleep, these people ruin it for all. If you are one of these people, do _not_ come to halls.

I was in halls for two years, despite the forementioned factors, it was a blast.

ens wrote:
    Yeah crash_000 in ref to your post above, i was the guy that got called up for swearing while a guard was outside my door. It was really stupid how I can't even speak the way I want to in my own home. Also a load of pellet guns were confiscated from me and a friend and despite the fact that possession of these guns are not illegal they were taken and destroyed by the security guards. Without even giving me a letter or anything.

Um, why did you have pellet guns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

ens wrote:
    laboratory condition silence

Not in my lab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

On a sort of related to the original question, can i plug my ps2 into the campus network to get it online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭young nastyman

didn't they tell you? god, this is embarassing...i was given your place sa teach. you're cut Ronny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

ens wrote:
    And as for people that think that the noise is unreasonable. Maybe you should have thought before moving in that living in blocks of apartments alongside over one and a half thousand students might be a bit noisy. So just deal with it and buy some ear plugs if you have problems. Some people move into trinity hall and require laboratory condition silence in order to sleep, these people ruin it for all. If you are one of these people, do _not_ come to halls.

Why shouldn't they come to Halls? So you can maximise your amusement to the detriment of others? Believe it or not, most people in Halls don't actually try to make nights hell for everyone else. So perhaps the people who "ruin it for all" are the ones who do create disturbances, given that not all believe in utter selfish hedonism.

Trinity Halls is a nice place in a brilliant setting for a quite reasonable price. The rules aren't hard to follow (except if you like to, you know, store weapons in your room and stuff). Make noise in Doyle's or the Stag's Head, not in your kitchen.

• ^^ I totally agree. I had to put up with a year of my flatmate bringing her friends back to her room (next to mine) almost every night at 4-5am, loud talking, loud music etc. I don't care if it was a student residence, I consider that unreasonable behavior, especially considering that all her friends lived in halls and she could have gone to their flat sometimes or even sat in our kitchen which was pretty soundproofed. I could hear their every word from my room when they were next door. Just because its college doesn't mean you can be completely inconsiderate and ruin other peoples peace. 90% of the students I know generally like to get a good nights sleep most of the time and go out when they want to party, not invite everyone back home and inflict the noise on their flatmates. I got really pissed off being considered uptight and boring when I'm actually dead easy going. I just really need my sleep and I believe its everyones right, whether you live in Trinity Hall or not.

On a sort of related to the original question, can i plug my ps2 into the campus network to get it online.
    no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

talk to arthur hughes he deals with discipline and stuff like that. he was my lecture for mathsand was very approachable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Trinity Halls seems to be such a lotto really... if you get cool apartment mates then you'll have an incredible time, but if not it can be like a wee dose of hell.

Advertisement