Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Cab For Cutie - anybody hear them?

Options
  • 19-03-2005 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,930 ✭✭✭✭

An amazing band...

I really recommend Transatlanticism

Amazing songs from start to finish but especially 'Title And Registration' and 'Death Of An Interior Designer'

PS - For anyone who's a fan of the brillant The Postal Service.. it's the same lead singer (Ben Gibbard). The Postal Service was a side project for him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

i remember these, didnt they have a tune that starts off with the lyrics
    'synapse to synapse, the conversation...' - that was a good tune,
    cant remember the name though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I'm not a big fan of his voice, but the rest of is sounds good (from what I've heard).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

basquille wrote:
    An amazing band...

Amazing songs from start to finish but especially 'Title And Registration' and 'Death Of An Interior Designer'

PS - For anyone who's a fan of the brillant The Postal Service.. it's the same lead singer (Ben Gibbard). The Postal Service was a side project for him.

i love the postal service!
    currently listening to give up at this moment
    i hope they never release another album - give up is too perfect
    give up lads!!!

transatlanticism is great as is the we have the facts..etc

• Registered Users Posts: 43,930 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, 'Give Up' is probably one of the best albums in a long, long time!

Rumour is The Postal Service will release another album but i think Ben's trying to focus on DCFC right now.

Anyone who hasn't heard The Postal Service, go get 'Give Up' right now. I've been plugging it on here for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

a shame "the oc" generation has somewhat latched onto the band can see the hype killing this band and many like it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

so true...the o.c. ruined the suicide machines for me... and to a lesser extent slightly stupid, the show is like the chopping blocks for decent bands

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Been listening to them for a while now, quite good. At least Josh Ritter and Pinback havent been thrust into the limelight by the show.. for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

the show is like the chopping blocks for decent bands

none the less it was good to see modest mouse come out and play ,paperthin walls,a tune from their 2000 album the moon and antartica rather than shamelessly plug a new single

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

yeah because it's CERTAINLY not like half of "good news for people who love bad news" has been featured on the show already. by my count the view, float on and the world at large have all been featured too. pfft.

anyway, the oc tries very hard to be zeitgeist-y and i think it works. they do take trends from the street and put them on the screen, in music and fashion and i think they do it well. and Bell X1 are going to be on it soonish, which is always good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

ah yes such a shame that good bands get the exposure they deserve :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

well said sleep* i hate these wannabies who get upset cos "their" favourite obscure band was on a popular tv show and now i won't be as cool anymore cos more people will know bout it- **** OFF.

i'm glad modes mouse were on the oc, and i hope death cab get on there too as well as the wrens or -insert cooler than thou name drop here- i'm just happy to hear decent music/bands getting the exposure they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

i never said that i wasn't happy with modest mouse being on the oc, i was just pointing out that modest mouse have had singles 'shamelessly plugged' and that paper thinwalls wasn't the ony song they had on it... some of my favourite songs have been featured on the oc and i enjoyed it very much. i'm looking forward to seeing manymore good bands featured on the oc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Atmosphere

basquille wrote:
    An amazing band...

I've been listening to them for a while now.They are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Got Transatlanticism a good awhile ago. Its very very good, really like the guys voice. Got We've Got All The Facts And We're Voting Yes a couple of months ago and its equally good, if not better in parts. I quite enjoy Postal Service aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

For What It's Worth, good music is good music no matter which programme plays it.

The OC plays good music. End of story.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

mentalimplosion: you weren't the target of my tirade, apologies if i upset...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 deceptacon

Death Cab for Cutie took This Charming Man and raped it, over and over and over again with a giant manual plough. For this reason I will never listen to them.

deceptacon wrote:
    Death Cab for Cutie took This Charming Man and raped it, over and over and over again with a giant manual plough. For this reason I will never listen to them.
    Hmmmm.. fair enough! I'm sure they'll miss you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 deceptacon

I hope they die. However, I enjoy Postal Service. So the singer may remain.

deceptacon wrote:
    I hope they die. However, I enjoy Postal Service. So the singer may remain.
    I probably prefer The Postal Service to Death Cab.

But think that's because 'Give Up' is, in my opinion, a genius unmatchable album! And none of the Death Cab For Cutie albums, although they are amazing, have affected me the same as 'Give Up'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

Optimus Prime and his hardy band of mechanoid warriors like Death Cab for A Cutie

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

In all fairness the Postal Service is a supergroup, and the album was made out of a real love of music so it was destined to be great.

Jenny Lewis of Rilo Kiley on backing vocals!!! she could be crooning my heart away but she's on secondary vocals with Jen Wood ( who is equally delectible vocal wise ) ... I like Ben Gibbard's voice... it sounds kinda bare and therefore a lil more honest sounding.... plus you got Jimmy of Dntel doing beats tis great...

all said I don't think they'll be doing a lot of regular stuff since Death Cab are going really well, and so are Rilo Kiley... If they could muster a tour from someplace it would be sooo good but I can't see it really... especially since "Transatlanticism" and "More Adventurous" have both been released pretty recently

Well, you have to remember Ben Gibbard took on The Postal Service as a side project long after DCFC.

And i heard someone that The Postal Service are planning another album. Will try and find a link.. seriously needs to blow us away to match the brillance of 'Give Up'

** fires on 'The District Sleeps Tonight' on Winamp just talking about 'em **

EDIT: Although what were they thinking with covering Phil Collin's 'Against All Odds'?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Just got The Photo Album. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

basquille wrote:
    Well, you have to remember Ben Gibbard took on The Postal Service as a side project long after DCFC.

And i heard someone that The Postal Service are planning another album. Will try and find a link.. seriously needs to blow us away to match the brillance of 'Give Up'

** fires on 'The District Sleeps Tonight' on Winamp just talking about 'em **

EDIT: Although what were they thinking with covering Phil Collin's 'Against All Odds'?

heh heh talk of the brilliance of The Postal Service and them covering Phil Collins..... hmmm..... :rolleyes: :D

I suppose, tis kinda an inbetweeny place they ( the postal service ) are in. They are all coming from successful bands, and this was treated as a side project by them all... yet the product, "Give up" possibley overshadows all their recent albums....

I can't predict what will happen...

Just got The Photo Album. Wow.
    Yep.. brillant!!

Try getting 'We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes'.... excellent also!

A truly excellent band!

EDIT: Reading the Death Cab For Cutie forums and apparently a new Postal Service album is currently in the works with Ben Gibbard and Jimmy Tamborello hard at work on it.

Advertisement