Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie, it it worth it?

Options
  • 22-05-2001 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Currently working on a website for an Irish based company and was wondering, other then that fact that it identifies your company as being Irish, what are the other benefits? I mean is it worth the £80+. Speedy replies to this would be appreciated.
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

On the plus side:
    1. You can listed more easily on a couple of the Irish Only search sites
    2. It is easier to get the name you want

On the downside:
    1. Most people try .com when they remember a domain name
    2. DNS changes on the .ie registry are a pain
    3. You'll get listed on the Irish search sites with a .com anyway
    4. Some international search sites don't accept .ie listings
    5. It's really expensive... Compare +/-$15 vs. £65-100

IrishSearch.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

Yeah, a few Large American engines do not accept .ie domains. Real jip. But then again if someone really really wants it they can set up an alias to point at it.

Keep your powder dry and your pants moist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

IEDR (basically IWD) are a complete pain in the **** . I am having a row with them as we speak about changing the DNS settings of a .ie domain. They claim that the host I use does not comply with "good internet practice and conform to international standards." because they do not play the game according to IEDR's rules. Never mind that I moved several .com' & .net's to the same host with no problems. I have a very strong suspicion that they are trying to push their own hosting business....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mayhem#:
    IEDR (basically IWD) are a complete pain in the **** . I am having a row with them as we speak about changing the DNS settings of a .ie domain. They claim that the host I use does not comply with "good internet practice and conform to international standards." because they do not play the game according to IEDR's rules. Never mind that I moved several .com' & .net's to the same host with no problems. I have a very strong suspicion that they are trying to push their own hosting business....</font>

Yowsers, that's a strong allegation!

Why do you say "basically IWD"? I've been given to understand that the IEDR is currently owned by three shareholders - is this the connection you're alluding to? I'll postpone comment until I hear more... smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Somebody please hand me back my words, so I can eat them.....
    In my youthfull enthusiasm and frustration I seemed to have made the mistake that the people who run www.domainregistry.ie and www.register.ie are one and the same. Obviously they are not! I feel very foolish now and am going to curl up in a corner until al this blows over.....

• Advertisement

mayhem#, you need to go outside the door and THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

That was a close one anyway, I was wondering were we going to see mayhem# V. IEDR in the Four Goldmines! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jonathan Stein

My company does .ie registrations for IR£60 inc VAT, we also help with any required paperwork, and usually get .ie's turned around in a couple of days, they are not so bad when you have handled hundeds,

Best Regards,

Jonathan Stein
    http://www.sce.ie/

The problem with .ie domains isn't restricted to mere paper and price - though they are a zillion times more complicated than .com registration.
    I can register as many .com's as I want, as long as I don't infringe copyright etc. If I do then I can lose them. That is fair.
    IE is a different story.
    The rules about names are far more restrictive, and judging by some recent high profile registrations, totally inconsistent.
    If generic words cannot be registered, how come a certain airline was able to get some of the domains it is now using?
    The cost is also an issue. Network Solutions charges $70/2 years ie. $35/year - this is a lot less than the official .ie rate, but is still considered expensive with respect to other registrars.
    In any case, as has been raised by a lot of people in recent weeks, who actually goes looking for a dot.ie?? Most people are used to .com/.net/.org

I asked about generics recently, and here's the reply I received:

"As you know the generic aming regulation is one of the proposed changes specified on our website. This change has not as yet taken place, as it stands at this time the generic naming regulation still applies. As we tell all our applicants please submit an application for the proposed domain name and this application will be reviewed within two working days. In the event that your application is unsuccessful you will be offered the right to appeal the decision."

So ultimately the generic rule is gone, although of course it shouldn't be until the regulation is changed, and information to that effect is posted on their website. But of course the IEDR is now a private company, what are you gonna do?

adam

Register a .com in protest!

I suppose there isn't much else that we can do. It's a real Catch 22... they make it difficult because there are so few .ie in comparison to other TLDs... as a result we don't register them and so it goes on and on and on... bit like a Duracell

• Advertisement
Advertisement