Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

increase power output for a Audi A4 1.6L

Options
  • 19-03-2005 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

What's the best way of increasing the power output / acceleration
    for a 1.6L Audi A4 without changing the Engine or car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Getting a 2.0TDI to tow you :D:D

Brother has a 1.6 mark 4 golf and that is dog slow so I can just imagine what its like in the bigger heavier A4. The cheaper modifications you could do would make no meaningful differance and the more expensive mods would be more expensive than just changing the whole car for same year same spec with just a bigger engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

pablo80 wrote:
    What's the best way of increasing the power output / acceleration
    for a 1.6L Audi A4 without changing the Engine or car.
    how can u increase the power,if u dont do anything with the engine, :eek: weld a sail onto the roof, :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

K&N filter & induction kit is one way of gaining about 5bhp, it helps fuel consumption also.

after that, aftermarket exhaust, but then you might end up looking, or rather sounding like a boy racer.

You can chip the ECU, i think its about 300 euro or so. You can also get a resistor on ebay that goes between the airflow meter and the ECU, i think its a really bad idea though.

also, you can get an "electric" supercharger on ebay, again id question its usefullness.

this is all on the premise that the engine is being maintaned correctly, regular (fully synth for those engines) oil changes about every 6k, splugs are in good condition and correctly gapped etc.

at the end of the day, the a4 is a heavy car to be hauling with FWD, I have a passat and its sluggish off the mark to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

don't bother with the resistor chip scam on ebay, I got stung before with it...
    I doubt the hairdryer 'supercharger' would be worth the investment either.
    without changing the Engine
    do you mean 'anything short of an engine swap' or 'dont do anything to the engine?'

talk to a mechanic/ mod garage, quotes and advice are ususally free!
    there's plent you could do to the existing power plant.

an ECU upgrade combined with new air gear as mentioned would be a good start. ypu could also fit better plugs and leads.

You may also want to consider lightening th car, removing excess panels, sound deadening etc. the A4 is not a lightweight by any means...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pablo80

Yes I ment anything short of an engine swap

Would the chasis take a 1.8t without changing springs ect?

How much would such an engine cost?

Thanks for your replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It would probably make more sence to go out a buy a 1.8T A4 of the same age as the 1.6 A4 you have.

Advertisement