Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Hosting

Options
  • 29-05-2001 2:14pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have need of an NT host, preferably in Ireland and all I found were this crowd - http://www.hostireland.ie/nthosting.htm - no idea if they are any good, prices seem o.k. but I won't be trying them unless my client as it were decides they want to switch to them.

M

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I have need of an NT host, preferably in Ireland and all I found were this crowd - http://www.hostireland.ie/nthosting.htm - no idea if they are any good, prices seem o.k. but I won't be trying them unless my client as it were decides they want to switch to them.

M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

M

M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Didn't quite catch that, musician, could you repeat it please? tongue.gif

Personally, I always found Indigo to be quite good for NT hosting, even after they were schlurped into Eircom.

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? - a Triumph! - 'And yea verily did Moses strike down the ammmanites, - and all the land did hear the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jonathan Stein

Perhaps have a look at our site, we are competitive with most US companies, and significantly better than most of the larger ISP's in Ireland, you can contact me directly for lists of clients, or more exact details (stein@sce.ie).

Best Regards,

Jonathan Stein
    http://www.sce.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Maura

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by musician:
    I have need of an NT host, preferably in Ireland and all I found were this crowd - http://www.hostireland.ie/nthosting.htm </font>

Um, no NT hosting is right out, I'm not interested in going the MS route. I'd be looking for someone using Apache on Unix, or some similar variant, if possible.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Muso is trying to get his point across there.Or its pobably his company that he is advertising !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gakenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Hi Maura,
    my site is currently hosted by http://www.webworld.ie
    there's a fair few Linux options there.

I'm thinking of moving over to http://www.cqhost.com soon as I'm rewriting the site in Java.

What exactly are you looking for?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Enygma:
    What exactly are you looking for?
    </font>

Thanks for the URLs, they're very useful.

At the moment I'm interested in surveying the field and just getting an idea of what is out there. Then I can narrow it down based on prices, packages, specifications, etc.

I'd be quite interested in hearing people's personal recommendations and/or experiences with these companies though. It's one thing to find a good price, and it's another thing entirely to find a good company. wink.gif

• Advertisement

Hello all, just thought I'd pick your brains (hmm, spicy!) about web hosting here in Ireland.

So far I've got my web hosting in the USA because I've found it to be very cheap and reliable. However, I'll probably be recommending / buying hosting for more people in the future and I was wondering if people could recommend, or not, any web hosting services in this country? It would be nice to keep it in the country if it's competitive in cost.

What have been your experiences, etc?

Many thanks.

http://babblogue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Well to be honest I've got no complaints about webworld. They're nice n cheap and I've never had a problem with them. They do take a good while to set things up though.
    Plenty of features at a good price. Pity no JSP tho frown.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

(Webworld, are resellers for WebAXXS in the States, so they're not the ideal solution for Maura. smile.gif

Maura, there are very little genuine Irish webhosts out there, primarily because of the prohibitive cost of bandwidth in Ireland. That's set to change somewhat shortly, with the glut of datacenters opening or already opened in Dublin, and the cost of bandwidth slowly coming down, but it's still going to be a while before it's really economical for a hosting company to work competitively here.

As an example, I run machines in the US and the UK and not one company in Ireland is able to come even *close* to the prices I'm getting at the moment. Also, again because of the bandwidth problems, the hosting companies that are here are likely to have pretty shoddy redundancy - if one of their bandwidth suppliers loses a major pipe, there's a fair chance you'll have to sit and wait until it's fixed. That said, that can happen anywhere - WorldCom lost a major router in the UK last month and took half the sites in the UK offline for most of a day.

If you're not having problems with your current host - rare though it is - I would suggest you stay with them for a few months more. If you are, make sure you research new companies carefully. Take your time and talk to them a little first. Ask them where their machines are, ask what kind of connectivity they have, ask what kind of redundancy they have. Do dns lookups and traceroutes to see where they really are, because some companies in Ireland are pretty sneaky about it all.

And if you have any doubts about any of the above, consult with someone who knows what they're doing. smile.gif

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'd have to agree with Adam. I can offer a range of hosting options with loads of features, but they all physically reside in Canada.
    Unfortunately there are quite a few Irish companies claiming to offer servers over here, but their websites look very similar to the reseller templates being toted by some of the big US companies...
    The question you have to ask yourself - and maybe some people will disagree - is does the location of the server really matter that much?
    The prices being offered by some companies based in Ireland may suit big business, but are far too high for people starting out.
    US prices can vary from as low as $2/month to $35/month with a variety of configurations. Dedicated servers, co-location etc., will set you back a lot more.
    When you compare that to some of the prices over here AND the restrictions being imposed on you the answer is clear...
    Okay maybe I'm just ranting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blacknight:
    The question you have to ask yourself - and maybe some people will disagree - is does the location of the server really matter that much? </font>

No, theoretically it doesn't. Whether you ftp/ssh/whatever to a Dublin office or an American one doesn't really matter. Though, I tend to try and support Irish companies when I can, so I thought I'd do some investigation into this while it was on my mind.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The prices being offered by some companies based in Ireland may suit big business, but are far too high for people starting out.</font>

Well certainly I'd agree with you. Comparing the costs Irish companies just don't measure up.

Then again, I've just discovered the same thing when it comes to getting printing down... it's cheaper to order it from the UK, with sterling and postage, then to get it done here. Piece of trivia for ya...

Supporting Irish companies is a good idea, but not when it's costing you more than it's worth..
    Maybe going with an Irish reseller would be the best option - that way some of your money stays in Ireland, plus you get the services at a reasonable price. (Not that I'm trying to push any of my own services)

By the way, where did you get the printing done? (A URL would be handy)

IrishSearch.net

Just one quick point, which probably appears to go against what I previously said but applies nonetheless -- just because a company doesn't sell accounts in Ireland doesn't mean they're a reseller. I run machines in the UK and the US, but I got root on those babies, they're ostensibly mine. The difference being, I'm straight with my clients from the off, I tell them they're not in Ireland.

And in all honesty, the difference is often negligible - the server I run in the states is sitting on four OC48's - that's 1.3 gigs of bandwidth apiece, it's rare you see a difference between the UK machine and the US one. The big difference is support - when you got root, you can fix problems. When you're a reseller, there's an extra level there, an extra barrier to get through. And in places like Verio, that can be quite a big hurdle to get over, even for the reseller.

By the way, this isn't a flame or anything, I'm just telling it like it is. I've been boozin', what are you gonna do? smile.gif

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blacknight:
    By the way, where did you get the printing done? (A URL would be handy)</font>

I haven't used them yet so I can't vouch for the service, but I will be trying them out:

http://www.printing.com/

For example, 33 quid gets you 500 business cards, in full colour. No one can match those prices over here...

I just ordered another 128MB of RAM for my machine (damn graphics programmes just suck away all memory), and that was from the UK too...

I do buy a lot of stuff in Ireland, but there are also things you just can't get here still, or are too expensive here.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    I run machines in the UK and the US, but I got root on those babies, they're ostensibly mine. The difference being, I'm straight with my clients from the off, I tell them they're not in Ireland.</font>

Got root? wink.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">By the way, this isn't a flame or anything, I'm just telling it like it is. I've been boozin', what are you gonna do?</font>

Hardly flames Adam. Unfortunately this question to the masses has just reconfirmed my own suspicions about that state of play over here. For all the rubbish spouted about Celtic e-Tigers, we're still way behind on some fronts...

• Advertisement

"Got root?"

The 'root' account is The Boss on unix systems and unix variant. That's why crackers are always trying to "get root".

"Hardly flames Adam. Unfortunately this question to the masses has just reconfirmed my own suspicions about that state of play over here. For all the rubbish spouted about Celtic e-Tigers, we're still way behind on some fronts..."

Anything to do with telecommunications, we're behind. eCommerce hub my posterior...

adam

Oh let's not start on the e-commerce hub thing please!

The entire Esat/Eircon/Chorus (et. al.) situation gets me more and more depressed every day.

I feel like we are living in the digital doldrums.. except we've got a government that thinks it's all plain sailing

IrishSearch.net

Advertisement