Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Ball line-up

• 19-03-2005 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

"Tickets priced €70 go on sale to card-carrying Trinity students on Monday April 4.

The multi-stage action stacks up as follows:

Main – Ian Brown, Babyshambles, The Music, Mainline & Angels Of Mons

Dance – Lemon Jelly, Groove Armada DJ set, Jacques Le Cont, Tom Middleton & Erol Aiken Acoustic – Declan O'Rourke, David Kitt & Neil Mooney

Outdoor – The Urges, Redneck Manifesto, Arveen, Jape, 747s"

Above info is from HotPress.com, date of the ball is May 13.

Sounds like a good time, but 70 beans is quite a chunk of change.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Hopeful now we can put the rumors to rest and stop getting my hopes up- Until next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Great line up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Great line up!

You must be seeing a different one to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Pugwash wrote:
    "Tickets priced €70 go on sale to card-carrying Trinity students on Monday April 4.

The multi-stage action stacks up as follows:

Dance – Lemon Jelly, Groove Armada DJ set, Jacques Le Cont, Tom Middleton & Erol Aiken Acoustic – Declan O'Rourke, David Kitt & Neil Mooney

Above info is from HotPress.com, date of the ball is May 13.

Sounds like a good time, but 70 beans is quite a chunk of change.

How many tickets can one person buy? Is it 2 again this year?
    Man, thats an utter pants lineup. There'd be more musical talent in a rookery. Who the hell are half these bands??????? And David Kitt on the 'Dance' stage??? WTF!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

The Music look like the most promising band from that list. Its derivative Zeppelin-esque rock the play, but they got lots of spunk! They won the title of "best unsigned act in Britian" 2/3 years back. Heres a sample

Redneck Manifesto and Jape are both Dublin bands fronted by the same guy. RM play instrumental rock, which I cant really see going down well as it has limited appeal no matter how good it is

Jape is his more recent project and might not be too bad. Its not as guitar-based, they employ the use of synths aswell and theyve taken the time to scribblle a few lyrics! The debut only contains 8 songs though with 5 being total filler but I still think its worth a gander

Both are championed by Hot Press though if that means anything to anybody!

David Kitt does a DJ set. He did it at the freshers ball last year and I think this year aswell. (FYI He plays with Jape on a couple of songs)

Ian Brown might be worth seeing now that he has stopped shunning the Roses back catalogue

Babyshambles. Why? Listening to Kilimanjaro makes me think of The Strokes and how I may have misjudged them. They sound innovative and sophisticated by comparison!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Evilution wrote:
    How many tickets can one person buy? Is it 2 again this year?
    Man, thats an utter pants lineup. There'd be more musical talent in a rookery. Who the hell are half these bands??????? And David Kitt on the 'Dance' stage??? WTF!!!!!

i suspect there is a return missing

Acoustic – Declan O'Rourke, David Kitt & Neil Mooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

eoinf wrote:
    i suspect there is a return missing
    Really? Wow.
    I suspect that there is a serious amount of talent missing from that list of bands. I'll go, but only if I get throttled when I'm there and get a ride too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Dance – Lemon Jelly, Groove Armada DJ set, Jacques Le Cont, Tom Middleton & Erol Alkan

Acoustic – Declan O'Rourke, David Kitt & Neil Mooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Selket

So much for the "tickets won't cost more than last year" line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Selket wrote:
    So much for the "tickets won't cost more than last year" line

Last year: 67
    This year: 70

What's your problem? An increase of about 4% is hardly earth-shattering.

In terms of lines, this is what I said on March 15th:

a) No. Tickets will be the same or within a euro or two.

b) And I'm pointing out that the price this year will see no significant change - I think it will be 70 rather than 67. Unless the documents I saw (as an officer of the Students' Union) have been forged.

So I doubt it's fair to say that anyone was selling you a line! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Selket

I was actually referring to all the fuss that was made when it was announced that MCD would be behind this year’s ball. Certain people were being quoted left, right and centre saying that it would be no more expensive than last years and that it could even be cheaper than last year.

I wasn't complaining about the, what did you say, "4%" increase (quick aside, anybody know the current level of inflation???) it was more to do with the fact that so many people made an issue out of the price a few months ago just to completely ignore it. €3 doesn't mean anything

70 euro versus 67 euro - hardly the biggest issue in the world - it's one of the best nights out of the year in Dublin...

Selket wrote:
    quick aside, anybody know the current level of inflation???

We're at an annual 2.3% inflation and it is trended to drop further...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

iv vaguely heard of some of those bands. its a pity we couldn't get U2(!)/ stereophonics, like we had before. it amazes me that the price of the tickets increases each year but not necessarily the standard of the bands playing.

pity i thought the killers were going to be playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

The price of a Dairy Milk goes up all the time. Don't notice any difference in taste though? I used to be able to get a breakfast roll in Centra on Westmoreland st. for 1.50...

A lot of the Ball costs are external factors - insurance, production, etc - and, like almost everything else in Ireland, is subject to constant increase. If the ticket price didn't go up accordingly - bearing in mind that no-one's getting rich off the Ball in recent years! - then the money available for discretionary costs (artists etc) would just drop and drop and drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

yes but why is it that in the past the standard of the bands seemed to be better then they are now? what happened to all the big-name acts they used to attract. i know inflation will obviously increase the price just like anything else but for 70euro you expect to get your moneys worth. Oxygen are charging about the same price and the standard of bands seems to be a lot higher. Is there a diffuculty attracting them nowadays?

the therapy ball was around 40euro, included a sit down meal, music/posh hotel/burlington and drinks reception in bective rugby club, now that's getting your money''s worth(we did it with other colleges aswell to help reduce the price).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

but only if I get throttled when I'm there and get a ride too.

here here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

snorlax wrote:
    iv vaguely heard of some of those bands. its a pity we couldn't get U2(!)/ stereophonics, like we had before. it amazes me that the price of the tickets increases each year but not necessarily the standard of the bands playing.

pity i thought the killers were going to be playing
    Is there a list anywhere of all the bands who have played the trinity ball in past years? It'd be interesting to compare..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Poor Trinity. Compare THAT to Leeds Fest: Pixies, Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden, Jimmy Eat World, Incubus, Marilyn Manson, Queens of the Stone Age, The Killers, Kasabian, NOFX.....

But I still can't wait. Where exactly will all the action be at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

[edit]Silly Silly Troll Needs to Get a Life[/edit]

• Advertisement

Leeds is a festival though, you can hardly compare the two. Most people I know from other colleges are envious of the lineup that Trinity managed to get.

Can you say "trolling"? Can you say "unnecessary prejudicial stereotyping against a cohort of people you've never met"? Can you say "ban ensuing"? :)

Can you say "trolling"? Can you say "unnecessary prejudicial stereotyping against a cohort of people you've never met"? Can you say "ban ensuing"? :)

Yes i can dear chappy........Can you say "trolling"? Can you say "unnecessary prejudicial stereotyping against a cohort of people you've never met"? Can you say "ban ensuing"? :D My grammar and English is of the highest calibre you know,my daddy says one day ill be the CEO of a large company just like he is (maybe then ill also get to have and smooch my own big chested sexy PA) :D

My grammar and English is of the highest calibre you know,
    but i seen her kiss the awful builder

Pet wrote:

Quote:
    My grammar and English is of the highest calibre you know,

Quote:
    but i seen her kiss the awful builder

Oh God you`ve got me there,well ive just had a spliff you know,plus ive been in the lab all day playing footsies with Melanie,God its a hard life......... :D

jonny68 wrote:
    Yes i can dear chappy........Can you say "trolling"? Can you say "unnecessary prejudicial stereotyping against a cohort of people you've never met"? Can you say "ban ensuing"? :D My grammar and English is of the highest calibre you know,my daddy says one day ill be the CEO of a large company just like he is (maybe then ill also get to have and smooch my own big chested sexy PA) :D
    Actually, I wasn't testing your English. I was satirising the stereotype you portray, by pointing out its hypocracy :).

Oh please, spliffs are so blue collar. Anyone who's anyone these days is doing coke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Pet wrote:
    Oh please, spliffs are so blue collar. Anyone who's anyone these days is doing coke.

The best trinners hit can be got from snorting ground up cobblestones, off the naked body of the scholar of your choice, under the campanile as the bell strikes midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

jonny68 banned for pointless trolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Is it wrong that i'm aroused by that?

Advertisement