Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Are The Best Up And Coming Band In Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

i can't think of 10 off the top of my head that I think will go far, or should go far, but here's some of my likeys...

66e
    Hoovers & Sledgehammers (can't believe so many people have listed them!)
    Polar
    Life After Modelling
    Tadgh Cooke
    Ross Breen (could go reasonably far, for some reason)

thats it. **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Me In The Park...crap music

http://artists.cpu.ie/bands/15/
    excellent music i think, very like Soulwax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Talaghn

mine would be:
    1 Jove
    2 Delerentos
    3 Alphastates
    4 Republic of loose
    5 Mike got spiked
    6 66e (i suppose)

i dont realy have any others!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Cheers for that guide Dan. We don't all have the same taste in music though. Mike got Spiked for instance...not quite there yet? What does that mean? And Primed too. They are both fantastic bands, very well practiced and MGS are a lot bigger than some people realise. Scoring the Warped Tour in Canada this year is a big thing for them!
    I notice a lot of people here are big on 66e. And a lot of these people are also into a lot of the same artists. I'd be more into the rockier acts. I don't agree with this music guide purely because it's someone's opinion and we all have different tastes (I know you said they're just your opinion Dan, but go to more gigs, check out some of the ones you haven't heard of and go see ones you don't think "aren't quite there yet"). There are a few there I haven't heard of that some people rate highly so I'm gonna see if I agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

• Advertisement

Is Barry O'Brien in Exit The Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Polar
    Wallmark
    66e
    Alphastates
    The Chapters

Yeah he's their bassist.. they're loads of fun to be round.. i lived in east cork for a while.. and its true what they say.. there is a great musical influence down there.. and a real buzz about the place... The Blackbird of Ballycotton is a place i'll always regard as a musical academy in it's own right.

Cool. I did a sound engineering course in the TBMC and he was in my class. Mad bloke altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

Delorentos are my hot tip for 2005. Great band and good guys too. Although their sound is so "now" that they'd better get signed or it may be too late and it'll be more "now-tro"

Cant beleive noody's mentioned CH-1. Check them out I think there's some tracks on the CPU site.

Also does anyone know what the story is with Life After Modelling? I heard that Beni has left the band. Are they still going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ba oom bop didi

in no order
    1. Director
    2. Stoat
    3. Neosupervital
    4. The Immediate
    5. Stellar Band

and by tip i dont mean that they will get a record deal. I mean they will release good music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Audiodelic

Well what I've heard recently that I liked was Betamax Format, Mocrac, 66e, Matt Lunson, Crumb's debut album, Halfset, Jape (does Richie count if he's been around for ages with the Redneck Manifesto?), Jimmy Behan, Dry County is quite nice, Saso.

Jeff Martin's been around for a while and his second album (the excellent Spoons) was released not so long ago.

Saw a great band support The Wedding Present back in February but never found out their name alas...

s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Tombo

Saw Dry County lately for first time. Good stuff. I'm going to repeat a lot of what has been said already but I'll say my piece anyway because I have nothing better to do with my time. So many decent bands out there and so much to choose from. Irish music is thriving!

The Marshal Stars
    Mike Got Spiked
    Holy Ghost Fathers
    Raymond Beggan (not quite a band but so what)
    7:10
    Dwight
    Fresno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Tombo wrote:
    7:10

Isn't it usually written Ten Past Seven or do they switch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I personally think most of these so called 'up and coming' bands in Ireland are a load of sh*te but I definitely think Angels of Mons do have substance. Delorentos are good aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

t I definitely think Angels of Mons do have substance

Unlike your argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Tombo

Nicely put Roxy.

I don't know about the ten past seven thing. I have seen it written both ways but don't know the official line on it. The music is good either way though ;)

Tom.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

stan super 800
    turn
    the immediate
    giveamanakick
    life after modelling
    NeosuperV - can't wait for the single!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lupus

There will be a site within a week or so www.lupusmusicmanagement.com contact for now.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

the john and nige experience

:D:p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Rulers of the Planet

Someone bring them to dublin...amazing band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

has to be a (republic of) loose fit.

it could be their logo

this thread certainly got a load of mileage didn't it... suffice to say theres loads of bands in ireland that could easily be the next big thing... but sure only time will tell.. <
    how original huh? yeah right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭startled_frog

Changed my mind. The best up and coming Irish band are Doris.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Jj72 !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭Holyghost

Everyone should check out the Immediate tomorrow

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=235546

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 loveonautocue

top two in order of preference, rest is a mess:

1. the rags (not dickheads, just a bit of a wild card personality-wise. as far as their performances and releases, they’re always top)
    2. the immediate (bound to do well in indie circles, extra points for pete's dancing)
    3. delorentos (EXCELLENT performance at that loud and clear gig. was standing in the pit going ‘is this the same band?’)
    4. HAL (catchy if a little MOR and retrofantastic)
    5. mainline (swaggery and stylish but the songs are decent enough that they should rustle up some interest)
    6. the urges (fantastic drummer, good live shows)
    7. the chalets (aww.. you have to love them. the 'nightrocker' ep was cool but one show of them is usually enough dancing for a few months)
    8. the mighty stef (legend! especially with a full band behind him)
    9. the things (i can't explain the attraction but their shows get you a bit flustered and exciteable)
    10. the rotators (one of their flipping songs has been in my head since HWCH and i can't track it down...)

honourable mentions to... hoovers and sledgehammers (bit mad but i like), polar (the lads rock and the music's good but not my thing), life after modelling (when good, they're really good. other times i've been quite badly disappointed), the chapters (good ep but i prefer them live), paul o'reilly (has produced a few gems), the hollows (rediscovered 'seeking...' recently), republic of loose (again, not my thing but i can see why they're so popular).

keep yr eye on... andalusia (really rather good but they need a bit more time to write a few more songs i think), substance (recording atm, can be very tight live), soviet filter (great ep if a bit schizophrenic... ), id parade (not bad, not bad but only seen them twice so too early for conclusive comment)

not really up-and-coming but still fantastic... the warlords of pez (<3) and the jimmy cake's new stuff is lovely.

as someone else mentioned, the immediate are back from sxsw and playing the ballroom of romance today [friday], 9pm onwards, 7 euro in and free cd to first 100 in the door... well worth a look see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭Holyghost

Irish bands that float my boat at the moment:

Boxes
    Thread Pulls
    Betamax Format (they supported the Wedding present on their tour around Ireland)
    Trails
    The Killing Spree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nearlydeadjim

stand up guy
    itchy trigger finger
    mike got spiked
    morello
    scavenger
    chaplin

Advertisement