Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Are The Best Up And Coming Band In Ireland?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

...............like

HAHA Kathleen is all about Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bluebella

Can't believe no one has mentioned The Chalets yet?

In no particular order

Chalets
    Republic of Loose
    Sundogs
    Me In the Park
    New Colour Soul
    Lost
    Silver Addictive
    Coldspoon Conspiracy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Silverfish wrote:
    Can't believe no-one mentioned Mike Got Spiked or Polar.

i can well believe it. they are both nowhere near as good as ppl make them out to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

yeah... people are stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Aidan Lynch

This is such a difficult question because there's so much music out there and not enough time. And you always leave one out. I'm gonna go for the bands that have brought a different slant to the local music....

Chuzzle are(is) brill, I have to say. Shame on you detractors! His eccentricity works so well with their style of music and it really does sound and look the biz on stage. His set went down really well with the audience at our I-Con Stage live show in the Parlour Bar that night last year and sounded fantastic on playback.

Republic of Loose - once again, not your average rock n' roll band. Musical evangelism. Put your hands in the air, I tells ya!

Messiah J and the Expert - White hip-hop's always a dangerous thing to do, but these guys make it work!

Lots more bands, too many to mention. I might post again if more real sticker-outers come to mind, but that's my few for now.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

polarbelly wrote:
    yeah... people are stupid.

:D nice to see a band with that can take someone elses negative opinion I may well just give ye a second chance for that......

ah no **** it i still dont like ye'z;)

_raptor_ wrote:
    :D nice to see a band with that can take someone elses negative opinion I may well just give ye a second chance for that......

ah no **** it i still dont like ye'z;)

hehe, ah sure you cant win em all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭violetdream

most of the bands people are mentioning are ****e. velvetron & contraband should be definitely on the list. 2 amazing bands with integrity for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

by saying those bands have integrity, you're implying that the other bands being mentioned do not... what makes you say this....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

most of the bands people are mentioning are ****e. velvetron & contraband should be definitely on the list. 2 amazing bands with integrity for a change.

I like Velvetron, but your post is plain ignorant.
    xm

• Advertisement

what makes me say this is that there is a distinct lack of originality in the irish music scene and some of the bands previously mentioned are not doing anything at all new and lack depth and lack great songs . i've seen most of these bands play & really enjoyed chuzzle and a couple of others, they have got something different going on and are trying to do their own thing. i don't understand the buzz about the likes of turn or nina hynes who are quite boring and will never break out of ireland because of a lack of tunes.

it seems that anybody doing anything good is this country is begrudged cos they have the balls to be themselves. all you have to do to see what people are like is check out the likes of www.thumped.com to see the type of people that think they know about music in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

check out the likes of www.thumped.com to see the type of people that think they know about music in this country.

hahahha got your head flushed down the toilet on thumped eh?

I don't think any of us on Thumped would ever admit to knowing anything about anything.

Ever.

;)

it seems that anybody doing anything good is this country is begrudged cos they have the balls to be themselves. all you have to do to see what people are like is check out the likes of www.thumped.com to see the type of people that think they know about music in this country.

pricks loike :D

just to add one thing... integrity is an awful word to use if you're gonna slag off thumped in your next post.

and with that loike...i'm off to listen to some loike yannouuu remixed warp records c-sides. but not boc - they loike sold out years ago man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭startled_frog

I thought this thread was for the best up and coming bands in 2005? Not the ones you think are bad.

Get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lupus

Sorry interested in hearing more put it back to the top
    Cheers
    Rich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Filib

Not sure whether they could be still classified as new, but i vote for the dudley corporation. Bloody amazing band, sound like no one else around at the moment too.
    But on the new band side of things, in no particular order:

Polar
    The Rags (although half the new e.p. was really dissapointing)
    Delerentos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭asp

i don't understand the buzz about the likes of turn or nina hynes who are quite boring and will never break out of ireland because of a lack of tunes.

Is that why Turn have recently signed with London's Setanta Records??? Don't be silly. The reason why bands don't make it out of Ireland is because the record companies that they are signed to, mainly Irish one, can't afford to push the act over seas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

I'm not a huge fan, but I certainly wouldn't refer to Nina Hynes as boring. :confused:
    xm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Doolap

Humanzi?

Sorry they just don't float my boat at all. I saw them and thought they were pretty average, all very retro and punk rock but no real songs to latch on to.

But knowing me they'll probably get signed to a major with a mega bucks deal. They do seem to have ticked most of the boxes that an A&R man would be looking for. I just dont think they'll have the staying power to hold people's attention for longer than 15 mins.

Was reading over this thread and guess what, you're absolutely right. I think there's a link on cluas to the Sunday Times story which says they signed for $1 million. That's right. $1 million.

Has anyone seen them? Guys from Listo apparently...'Come along, come along...' a that ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Milkman Dan

yeah, fair play to Humanzi.
    they decided to avoid the dublin scene, spent all their time writing and completely geared themselves to getting signed through constant a&r advice, took on board the advice and went away until it was right.

they weren't interested in gigging around or any of that, they decided on a route and followed it. and the reward is a large advance, good manager and a prime berth on a new label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

What kind of A&R advice???

asp wrote:
    Is that why Turn have recently signed with London's Setanta Records??? Don't be silly. The reason why bands don't make it out of Ireland is because the record companies that they are signed to, mainly Irish one, can't afford to push the act over seas.

setanta are a tiny irish owned record label and would'nt have the resources to push anything globally. if your gonna make money you need a major behind you end of story. turn are ****e .waken up man.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Me In The Park
    Silver Addictive
    The Marshall Stars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Yeah I have to agree MARSHALL STARS were brilliant at Jimmy Eat World. I didn't know they were Irish.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

what makes me say this is that there is a distinct lack of originality in the irish music scene and some of the bands previously mentioned are not doing anything at all new and lack depth and lack great songs . i've seen most of these bands play & really enjoyed chuzzle and a couple of others, they have got something different going on and are trying to do their own thing. i don't understand the buzz about the likes of turn or nina hynes who are quite boring and will never break out of ireland because of a lack of tunes.

Um, surely your own posts invaildate your criticisms of thumped? Seems to me you're doing the same thing that you claim people on thumped are doing. Maybe different internet music message boards are just populated with knowitalls who like different music?

Ed wrote:
    Um, surely your own posts invaildate your criticisms of thumped? Seems to me you're doing the same thing that you claim people on thumped are doing. Maybe different internet music message boards are just populated with knowitalls who like different music?

no ed, there's a difference between validated criticism of the scene in ireland which is warranted and derogatory unmotivated (sometimes personal) put downs of artists no matter what they sound like (like thumped). i don't know it all but i do as do others that there is'nt much real innovation or punk rock attitude in the irish scene at all- there's few taking a risk and really doing something fresh and exciting. which is what great music should be about

btw- watching the story of iggy pop last night was truly inspiring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

All youve done is say how bad bands are.

Whats the fckin point in that. You even started the thread 'Best upcoming irish bands', you expect people to have an opinion which is not necessarily the same as yours.

But oh no lets talk about Iggy Pop instead. Is he up and cuming?

• Advertisement

All youve done is say how bad bands are.

Whats the fckin point in that. You even started the thread 'Best upcoming irish bands', you expect people to have an opinion which is not necessarily the same as yours.

But oh no lets talk about Iggy Pop instead. Is he up and cuming?

again your missing the point. firstly i did say previous that i respected bands such as chuzzle, velvetron & contraband cos they are trying to do something different. i only elaborated on the negative aspects of my previous comments cos i was requested to do so. i don't expect people to have the same opinion as mine. i would love to be enthusiastic about the scene but really how can you when mostly what is around is luke warm water - you gotta tell it like it is.
    . i used iggy pop as a reference only to show how **** the music scene in this country is.

i don't wanna turn this thread into a big arguement cos afterall its about 'the best up and coming bands in ireland'

my fav bands are

contraband
    chuzzle
    velvetron
    soviet filter
    the rags

next

Advertisement