Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Beers, 1st April

• 19-03-2005 3:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

A bunch of us have been going on on the first Friday of the month for the last couple months and I'll be arranging it again next month. The make up of these meets has thus far been mostly techies, however non-techies have turned up too, and on both occasions there were actually girls there. (Admittedly one of the girls talked incessantly about her boyfriend on the first occasion and actually brought him on the second, and the other girl is a Linux user, but that's not the point!) Conversation tends to veer wildly between mature and prepubescent levels, usually on the topics of tech, sex or politics. New topics are welcome.

The first Friday of next month is April Fools Day, but no, this isn't an April Fools setup. We meet in The Phoenix after work, which will be as early as someone is available to meet me. Telling ye well in advance so ye can hum and haw a bit like usual and ultimately not turn up cos ye're a bunch of wussies. No offense like.

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Ill get the ball rolling with the mass of people who wont be coming and have a somewhat legit excuse. I have exams the following monday and im off the beer till they are all over. So alas i wont be going (to what would have been my first cork bb) until possibly the following month. But im sure i will have an excuse then as well ;)

Hope whoever does turn up that ye have a great time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

are no teck grannies allowed? :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

ah joy, I'll be up for that. So long as I don't have to sit next to whoever it was who kept looking like they wanted to kill me for interrupting them last time. (I can't help being a verbose little fecker when I'm on the beer, can I?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Fysh wrote:
    So long as I don't have to sit next to whoever it was who kept looking like they wanted to kill me for interrupting them last time.
    Sascha. He really doesn't like that, which is why we keep doing it. Unless there's a n00b along to do it for us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Call him "that German fella". He loves it, really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That german fella who likes being interrupted, surely? (And also wants to have the virtues of win2k sp1 as an OS preached to him, I should think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

humm... guys, you really are not making it sound like the best of things to go to?! I'm off, but haven't been to the Phoenix since I was about 16, so, if nothing better comes up, you might even see a total not-very-techie-head show up!

It's not really a "thing", it's just a session that I've been trying to build up slowly for a while, with users from lots of Internet groups (CLUG, CORK, Boards, Open, Foot.ie, etc). If you don't want to talk tech, you just have to be louder than everyone else. And there's a bonus: If you do manage to be louder than everyone else, you'll appear in the Guinness Book of Records.

heh

adam

aha! ha ha ha ha! you've never met me before - and you've no idea how loud I can get! That was a bad thing to say!

you've never met me before - and you've no idea how loud I can get!

My god, I can just see the "loud off" between you two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

dahamsta wrote:
    We meet in The Phoenix after work,

I know that I know where that is.........tip of my tounge...

just by the lobby - get to the bus station, head towards the south mall but keep going over the bridge and it's opposite that big official building whose name I can never remember but which features on the cork county council website. You know the one.

As for the "loud-off"...oh jesus. It'll only be my second time along and the eardrums are already in for a battering....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

I know that I know where that is.........tip of my tounge...

Charlies?
    Sorry guys would love to meet a few of ye from boards (bet i actually know a few of ye) But im up to my preverbials in study and will be back in college in UL.

Enjoy
    Nukem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'll try my best to make it but I'm not known for my conversational abilities… However if ye don't mind someone who'll probably be sitting quietly in the corner, I'll be there…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Phoenix is next door to Charlies (next door to The Lobby).

JohnK wrote:
    if ye don't mind someone who'll probably be sitting quietly in the corner, I'll be there…
    An audience lads!!
    L!aM- wrote:
    I liked the Franciscan!
    So do I, but some people hate the actual bar part of it - and rightly so, it's atmos-deficient - and won't go there because of that, despite the fact I won't sit inside anyway (unless it's a Monday and the lads in the corner are playing).
    Beer fest pwnage last night too.
    I have to say, I think people that go to the festival there are lacking something mentally. No argument with the beer side of things obviously, but to willingly subject yourself to the pushing and shoving and shouting just beggars belief. (I was going to say "no offense intended" at the start, but it seems a bit redundant.)

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For once, I'm likely to be around for one of these beer things!! What time do you reckon you will be there until?

Hmmm. First time I stayed until everyone else buggered off to another pub, which was about 10pm. We were dragged to Souths the last time to meet others, I think about 9pm. However jager and tequila dulled the pain.

adam

Just out of curiosity, do ye normally sit in a particular area? In other words, how will I know who ye are? I just have visions of me sitting with the wrong group for half the night...

You know, I was kinda thinking the same thing, and what time is good to show up? I'm off tomorrow (well, from 7am) so I'll be going for beers for breakfast! (well, vodka and diet coke, whoever is getting in the first drink! he heh)

• Advertisement

You can't miss me, I'm a large gentleman with short blond hair. There's a photo of me linked in another thread, try searching for the word "keg".

EDIT: I can be there whenever, but I can't see myself turning up before 5pm. Well, not unless I'm feeling particularly loony tomorrow.

adam

looks like Keg is said far too often on boards, it's not finding you...

JohnK : it was my first time last month (oh god I feel so dirty saying that) - they were sitting in at the back, just to make you feel more uncomfortable about sidling up, whispering "are ye, um, the people from the, uh, the internet meet up thing?". In fact, I'm surprised they didn't deny all knowledge just to add to the general feeling of embarassment.

Anyway.

There's a photo of dahamsta somewhere (edit : in fact, it's here). I'll be along between half five and six, most likely wearing a black Johnny The Homicidal Maniac T-shirt (chosen both because I like it and because it's distinctive - see here for an admittely small picture of what to expect). And no doubt there'll be some nerd showing off their laptop or something.

(*mental note* : leave new gadgets at home and do not insist on talking about them)

ookk.... well, I'll try and be there so... emm, I've no idea how to add photo's to this, I'll have a look around, and if I can figure it out then I'll add one too...

Fysh wrote:
    they were sitting in at the back, just to make you feel more uncomfortable about sidling up, whispering "are ye, um, the people from the, uh, the internet meet up thing?"
    I take full credit. It was that or sit on a beer barrel, and frankly I'm too old and hetrosexual for sitting on beer barrels.
    In fact, I'm surprised they didn't deny all knowledge just to add to the general feeling of embarassment.
    We did, you sat down anyway. Arrogant bastard.

EDIT: Yes, that's me JohnK. Gorgeous ain't I?

adam

Stunning :)
    At least i have a face to look for now.

dahamsta wrote:
    I take full credit. It was that or sit on a beer barrel, and frankly I'm too old and hetrosexual for sitting on beer barrels.

We did, you sat down anyway. Arrogant bastard.

Heterosexual? That's not what you said last time! [ /crap joke]

As for sitting down anyway...I, um...ah, feck it. Yes. I did. And?

emm.. no I can't figure out how to put up an image, anyone wanna enlighten me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmm think I might turn up tomorrow night dragging a few of my mates behind me that occasionally read boards.ie but who aren't very active in it and have missed this thread.

I'm even going to drag a friend who's never been onto boards!
    looks like there might be quite a few of us there then tomorrow!

Fysh wrote:
    most likely wearing a black Johnny The Homicidal Maniac T-shirt

Ooooooh. I want to go even more now. I've been stuck doing a bloody pub quiz somewhere. Grrr. Might pop along later. Have a visitor down from Dublin and I have to get him to meet the infamous dahamsta.

looks like there might be quite a few of us there then tomorrow!
    Today.

Damien, being paraded around the Burlington by Mike "Two Mikes" Fagan a few years ago was quite enough parading for me thanks.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

ya ya, but now it's tomorrow for me! I'm just up and ready to start getting ready (I need a few hours!!) see you all later!

• Advertisement

I have some really "interesting" ones of Dizzy at a work function, shall I post them ? :)

Just back. Had a great time. Was a bit strange meeting Boards people for the first time(and some non boards people). Looking forward to the next one. I would definatly recomend it!

oooh my head.... definately we should go for a beer garden next month though....

• Advertisement

Owie. Where's my old friend, paracetamol?

(Hmmm. I wonder if I annoyed Sascha more or less than last time. Hehehe.)

I laughed so hard!! when he started pouting again! ha ha ha ha!

Um, I have a hat?

Fysh wrote:
    Owie. Where's my old friend, paracetamol?

If you find any, please send some my way...

Found some extra strong french stuff the girlfriend had lying around which seems to have done the trick, and realised I only had a roll to eat all day yesterday. Which probably contributed to me feeling like someone had replaced my brain with a fermented dead dog this morning...

What's this about a hat, adam?

When I came down this morning I found a hat in my jacket pocket. Brown beanie thing. I have no idea whose it is and why I have it.

Alka Seltzer is your only man btw.

adam

Oh, yes, the hat. Didn't we find that in the beergarden or something? (Brown with white writing, I seem to recall).

Also, surely that was some sort of record, a beer meetup where the boardsies outnumbered the CLUG people and there were even girls there! (Well, one.)

Fysh wrote:
    Oh, yes, the hat. Didn't we find that in the beergarden or something? (Brown with white writing, I seem to recall).
    Yeah, but why is it in my pocket!?
    Also, surely that was some sort of record, a beer meetup where the boardsies outnumbered the CLUG people and there were even girls there! (Well, one.)
    Yeah, but she abandoned us!

adam

aahh I did good! I didn't abandon until late!! I promise next Sunday the 1st May I will stay the whole night! and sure didn't I meet you at the end of the night again Adam? (well, I have photo's that say I did anyway!!)

I promise next Sunday the 1st May I will stay the whole night!
    Friday the 6th of May. First Friday.
    and sure didn't I meet you at the end of the night again Adam?
    True. That was odd (in a pleasant way of course).

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement