Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a mobile from the states

Options
  • 19-03-2005 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Or from ebay rather. Im looking for a Nokia 6230, but cant get one over here for anything under €200. Is there anything I need to look out for when buying one from America? I assume a phone can be unlocked anywhere regardless of initial point of sale?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

make sure it is a GSM phone, some of the networks in the US use a system other than GSM.

you may also have to change the charger on the phone as the united states electricity system uses 110 volts whereas we use 220 volts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Make sure its tri band aswell?But most phones are just looks for the specs im not too sure on this .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

Also the Nokia 6230i is on the way out. 1.3 mega-pixel camera.

If you're buying from the US, make sure its not the 6230b model. The 6230 is 900/1800-1900 triband but I think the 6230b is 850/1900-1800, which isn't much use anywhere in Ireland except large towns/cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

good stuff guys...thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Correct me if I'm wrong

but a standard uk charger should work on this phone as the nokia power out sockets and connectors are standard on all the new nokia phones . isnt it just the plugs/voltages that differ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

themessiah wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong

but a standard uk charger should work on this phone as the nokia power out sockets and connectors are standard on all the new nokia phones . isnt it just the plugs/voltages that differ???

The US use a different voltage than us, also there are 4/5 types of Nokia charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

If the phone itself can handle 110V/240V, then it should be independant of what chargerit attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Is there anything I need to look out for when buying one from America? I assume a phone can be unlocked anywhere regardless of initial point of sale?

yeah - here's one thread outlining problems with the bands the handset may support, another i can't track down right now where certain settings menus were removed as it was an 'operator' provided handset and they had difficulty getting it looked at / flashed as it was a US model - you'd need to check if the warranty is valid here (not only in the US) - and the charger you get will likely be an US one (which may/may not be world voltage, but will likely have US pin outs)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Yeah. Brian is correct. I had a problem before with a 6610 from the US. It was T-Mobile branded and T-Mobile had disabled the wap/gprs settings on the phone. You could not edit them unless the phone was flashed with generic Nokia firmware.

The charger was a 2 pin as stated, but a standard European charger works fine with it.

Just something to keep in mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement