Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipset Heatsink fan

Options
  • 19-03-2005 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

This might not be the right forum for this and if so I am sorry and maybe a mod could move it for me .

I had been hearing an odd sound from my pc ( like a bearing going ) so I opened it up this morning to find that the heatsink fan on the mobo chipset was not working . I can stick my finger in there and get it going and I did clean all the dust from around it . But here is my problem I phoned a few places around Limerick today to try and buy one but No one had them or even knew where I could get one .

I was hoping someone here might know where I would get one .

Thanks
    John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You will probably have to order one online, unless there is a Maplin near you.

What type of motherboard do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Yeah , that ommision was kinda stupid

Its an abit is7

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

abit fans are notorious for failing, and also notorious for having non standard mounting for chip heatsinks.

Alot of the time the board will run fine without a chipset fan running, so you can just disconnect the power to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get 2-4 self-tapping screws and a 40mm fan or similar and bolt the fan to the heatsink.
    Or glue it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Thanks guys , but where would I get that 40mm fan ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Online r in maplins... Pc world if u lucky. I tend to disconnect those fans as they make a racket. The gigabyte board i have has an aftermarket one the previous owner installed, i only ever use it if im overclocking the board in a big way cause the heatsink itself is a huge lump of copper....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ah yes another abit chipset fan gone, man they are just crap arent they. You can order a chipset hsf from komplett, a mate of mine got it and its pretty good

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302134&cks=PRL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Don't laugh but would a drop of oil help
    it it starts when you touch it
    this could be all it needs

Dec

Advertisement