Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tricky Wireless connection question

• 19-03-2005 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭

OK,

I have:

1: Netgear DG834 (Modem / Firewall / Router) Info here
    2: Netgear DG834G Wireless (Modem / Firewall / Router) Info here

The problem: The Modem on the DG834G (Wireless) is broken, it doesnt connect nor pick up the ADSL line signal. So now it’s just a wireless router.

Solution: I need to connect the DG834G(Wireless no modem) to the DG834(with modem) so I can connect to the internet through the wireless connection.

Is it possible to do this? If I connect the two routers together then connect to the DG834G(Wireless) from my PC (Wireless) I can only access the wireless router and no internet.

It’s a long one sorry,

Cheers for the help,

JoePC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

This may be of some help

http://forums.techguy.org/t340266.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

just connect from lan port to lan port, but disable dhcp on the broken modem, should do it!!

Might have to set up your wireless settings manually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yes, should be no problem. Configure the non wireless modem with the required modem settings. Unconfigure the modem settings on the device with faulty modem. Connect the two devices together using the switching ports with a cross over cable..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

That should work ...but there are other factors to consider ... only have pc's connected to the wireless one and enable dhcp on that, disable dhcp on the other one ... set the G router to a different address range than the nonG one (the routers wont communicate to the same address range on another router) ... port forwarding - forward all ports on the nonG router to the ip address given to the G router

My attempt at explaining:

Top device in pic is A and bottom is B:

- Configure A as the router with the phone line going into the WAN/DSL port.
    - Configure device A with 192.168.1.1 as the devices IP address in the "local" settings section
    - Enter ISPs DSL settings into device A as well in the "Wan" settings location
    - Connect Device A to Device B using a cross over cable.
    - Ensure Device B does not have anything configured for the WAN port. The IP address of this device is not really important
    - You can use static or dynamic IP addresses. On a small network I prefer static addresses personally.

Your PCs or laptops can connect directly into any of the switching ports on either device A or B using a normal Cat5 cable.

They can also connect to device B wirelessly.

All you need to do is ensure they are on the same IP range (192.168.1.x) and that you configure their Gateway IP address to be that of Device A (192.168.1.1)

It is also useful to enter the DNS addresses for you ISP in your TCP/IP configuration I find.

Disable the Firewall in device B and only have it enabled in device A.

• Advertisement

The poing of the above is to get Device B to act purely as a conbined Switch/Hub and Wireless AP. The router functionality is of no use at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

OK:

A(Modem working)

Assigned ip: 192.168.0.1
    DHCP disabled
    Configured internet settings (Connected)

B(Fooked modem)

Assigned ip: 192.168.0.2
    DHCP enabled
    No internet settings configured

I connected both together with crossover cable, I can connect to each router using the assigned IP but still no internet through the wireless connection?????

Fooking freaked....

Any more help, cheers so far....

Disabled Firewall on B (Fooked Modem)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Try Setting the working router (A) as the DHCP server and disabling in (B)

That done it Gosh, Cheers for the help jesus_thats_gre / Gosh / Everyone.....

Saves me a RMA to jes.de...... Fookers sent me out the one with the broken modem.

Thanks again,

JoePC

• Advertisement
Advertisement