Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cap staying the same?

• 19-03-2005 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey guys, i wrote an email to Esatbt sales this morning and just got an email back informing me that the 16gb limit will indeed stay the same when the 2mb upgrade comes in in april, heres part of the mail
    I can confirm that the download cap of 16GB will remain the same when
    broadband plus is upgraded to 2MB connection in April. If you bundle
    together broadband with a home phone package you will be able to avail
    of broadband plus at a cheaper rate. Here are details on all our bundle
    packages:

There are 4 types of different broadband/home phone bundle packages,
    Advantage & IOL Broadband, Advantage plus & IOL Broadband, Advantage &
    IOL Broadband plus or Advantage plus and IOL Broadband plus.

The first two bundle packages will cost you ?33.15 per month for your
    Broadband. If you choose the advantage plus package you will have to pay
    ?25 per month which gives you the benefit of free local and national
    calls for up to one hour. You will also have to pay your line rental of
    ?24.18 on top of this

I know these guys might not know the full story....but i've even less faith in it being upped now :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Well BT have a 15GB cap for their 2Mbit package and after currency difference is taken into account its not much cheaper than iolBB+.

As long as they dont strictly enforce the 16GB limit...Im sure that they wont mind you downloading 17/18GB a month every once in a while.

Later................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

Its a shame theres no upgrade on upload speed. Nice to download faster :) As far as uncapped just get real. Use my service for online gaming mostly so 16g cap still is good news. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

diarmo wrote:
    As long as they dont strictly enforce the 16GB limit...Im sure that they wont mind you downloading 17/18GB a month every once in a while.

be warned that UTV strictly enforce the 16GB limit so my advice would be not to sign with them if you think you might exceed the limit at any time. Its works out extremely costly.

I have exceeded it only twice and each time I was hit with the full charge. There is absolutely no leeway with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Lionheart wrote:
    be warned that UTV strictly enforce the 16GB limit so my advice would be not to sign with them if you think you might exceed the limit at any time. Its works out extremely costly.

I have exceeded it only twice and each time I was hit with the full charge. There is absolutely no leeway with them.

Yea, and i've also heard lately of IOL charging for going over the cap, its a pity it couldn't have at least been doubled...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Lionheart wrote:

Sorry to get off topic for a minute but has anyone heard if UTV will be increasing the speed? I havent seen anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They have to, but in all likeliness they're delaying their announcement until they can figure out a way to force current users into another 12 month contract.

I don't see how they can, since they can't offer to leave us on the 512k service if we refuse a new contract, as it won't exist... but I'm sure they'll think of something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

PiE wrote:
    They have to, but in all likeliness they're delaying their announcement until they can figure out a way to force current users into another 12 month contract.

I don't see how they can, since they can't offer to leave us on the 512k service if we refuse a new contract, as it won't exist... but I'm sure they'll think of something.

Ah its not too bad so, I'm not even in my first 12 month contract yet, I'm only half way through the trial now. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Tough luck UTV, I've already applied for smart. My contract is up either the end of this month or the end of april. Either way, I'm not getting suckered into another 12 months, even if it means staying on 512k until smart is available here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

PiE wrote:

Couldn't they just throttle individual connections to 512k at their end?

BTW there is a way to exceed the cap on UTV without getting charged extra.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

assuming that esatbt are gonna do nothing about their caps than eircom and utv wud be the same also.
    if this is true than its very dissapointing, eircom 2mb with an 8gb cap... that monthly cap can be blown in just over 11hours. put it another way to use it evenly per month, you would have to spend less than 30 minutes a day downloading. - surely eircom are gonna increase the cap... a 2mb line with an 8gb cap is overkill, you would downloading 1meg every 5 seconds if you get the full 200k/sec speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

John R wrote:
    BTW there is a way to exceed the cap on UTV without getting charged extra.
    Whats that then ?

Set cap choice to "Suspend my account when I reach limit", download 99.9% of cap, disconnect, reconnect, download for 48hrs straight before the auto disconnect knocks you off.

Best used on the last 2 days of the month, naturally.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Gonzo wrote:
    assuming that esatbt are gonna do nothing about their caps than eircom and utv wud be the same also.

I, personally, don't believe this is true. I still feel that the ball is in Eircom's park. They set the standards. Everyone else "tops" them, slightly. If you had said "assuming that eircom are gonna do nothing..." then I'd definately agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

PiE wrote:

True, they can't keep us at 512k and I really doubt that UTV would go so low as to throttle the service at their end. All that they can do is fiddle around with caps and price structures to make it more atractive to sign up for another 12 months. i.e..

Clicksilver - €29.99
    1mb/8gb Cap

Clicksilver w/contract - €29.99
    1mb/16gb Cap

Clicksilver Plus- €45.00
    2mb/16gb Cap

Clicksilver w/contract - €45.00
    2mb/Unlimited Cap

Of course the w/contract products would be brand new products so you would have to sign-up for another 12 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

daveyjoe wrote:
    Of course the w/contract products would be brand new products so you would have to sign-up for another 12 months.

They are NOT brand new products actually but that will not stop operators looking for the lock in I suspect . If you refuse the lock in they will have to find a way to throttle the wholesale product to half speed .

Most operators will pass the double bandwidth on with no contract shenanigans I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Sponge Bob wrote:
    They are NOT brand new products actually but that will not stop operators looking for the lock in I suspect . If you refuse the lock in they will have to find a way to throttle the wholesale product to half speed .

Most operators will pass the double bandwidth on with no contract shenanigans I'd say.
    Well UTV would consider it a new product because of the increased cap whereas the original product would not have a cap increase. This is pure speculation though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Oh wow. I get 20 hours of full speed downloading. Fantastic. Thanks for under an hour a day ESAT.

I mean, what the hell is wrong with this country. They should really be offering different packages to target different usage levels.

Well at least granny can stream her knitting pages in at 200k right. Best not look at the video tutorials of that STOCKINNETTE STITCH though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Spoke to one of Esat's guys this morning, he said the caps were going to be increased "substansially" (Yeah I know my spelling sucks) wouldnt say how much tho! said increases would occur in April, maybe to coincide with the new download speed increase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Nobody will know for sure until the 4th April. Until then, speculation is all that can be done. And that's just going to incite more of these pointless "Cap Increase"/"Cap decrease" threads.

Then again, my friends dog who goes for a run through EsatBT grounds said that another guys dog that he met said that the caps would be increased to a billion gigabytes...*

*This is sarcasm, please don't make a thread about me in Feedback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Cool!!!... a billion gigabytes, I'm moving to sarcasm...now where is that exactly??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Giblet wrote:
    Oh wow. I get 20 hours of full speed downloading. Fantastic. Thanks for under an hour a day ESAT.

well an hour a day at 200kb/s for an hour is about 700mb, that's over 6 hoursmusic, that's alot no matter how you look at it!

btw remember the upgrade to 2mbit is FREE! never look a gift horse in the eye!

Superman wrote:
    well an hour a day at 200kb/s for an hour is about 700mb, that's over 6 hoursmusic, that's alot no matter how you look at it!

It is free and its something i'm very excited about, however, i think paying the price that we do pay its not unacceptable to want a higher download cap...giving us 200kb download is good, but giving us a 16gb transfer limit...this will be used in no time by heavy downloaders...its disappointing

Superman wrote:
    No, it's not.
    Fat lot of use it is if it's used up in a few hours.
    Nobody will know for sure until the 4th April
    Amen to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Superman wrote:

i'm sorry but that's just like saying

now open today is the new M50 fully finished.

ohh we forgot to say the speed limit is 40km/h.

we shall wait until 4th april to see what's the deal with the caps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

more like ohh we forgot to say that while the speed limit is 200km/h.
    the road is onlt 1km long.

We will see on april 4th, or i'd imagine for the caps...we might find out in late march, seeing as it'd be entering a new month, from emailing sales i get told it has been confirmed that the cap will remain the same, and from livehelp we're told that the cap will considerably increase.....its very confusing for now, and as ever, i'm impatient...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

We will see on april 4th, or i'd imagine for the caps...we might find out in late march, seeing as it'd be entering a new month, from emailing sales i get told it has been confirmed that the cap will remain the same, and from livehelp we're told that the cap will considerably increase.....its very confusing for now, and as ever, i'm impatient...

they will definitely leave caps as they are, if they were going to increase, why wouldn't they announce by now?

CyberGhost wrote:
    they will definitely leave caps as they are, if they were going to increase, why wouldn't they announce by now?

Good point...but we can still live in hope :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think they're waiting to see what the reactions will be.

no doubt they have some of their inions will be keeping an eye on places like here and other forums to see how things go.

either that, or they don't know how the system is going to cope, and they're still testing the system internally trying to work out what they can do without spending money on new hardware.

a 'considerable' increase to me would be 64gb (4x16) and that would do me tbh, but I'd say if anything they'll just double it and that'll be it.

again, we'll no know until it happens i'd say, or just before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

if you think you are going to get more than 32gb pm then you are in la la land. we will be lucky if they increase caps at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement