Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorcycle problems after having it for 1 week - what should i do??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sounds like all it needs is a good service tbh. They've obviously not done this. Just go back to them with it and ask to see the service record and outline the problems you're having. I doubt it will develop into a bigger issue than this for you. A routine service based on what you describe above will only take them an hour and shouldn't cost you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ok , i got it back today, not half as bad as it was, il keeep an eye on it, but it seems to be ok, as echomadman mentioned i think the chole cables are probably pretty crap, but i didnt need to choke it more than 30 seconds either, just wondering can the choke cable be adjusted so it revs the engine more??? just for really cold mornings, thanks for the help guys. I still do think it was bad letting a bike in that state leaving the garage, especially speedometer not working and brake light always on, thats jsut damn dangerous :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Get the instructor or another experienced rider to give it 10 or 15 minutes in a deserted car park.

Just to be sure. :)

thanks for the advise man, i have it covered, getting a group of mates to look at it monday (one is a bike mechanic), so they will be able to tell if it is a heap of sh*t :D

well surprise surprise, im just home from having to get the bike pushed after i couldnt get it started. What a load of shi*te, im just going to have to bring it back to them tomorrow or friday if i can, that is disgracful for that to happen after 1 month of having a bike, he checked the spark plugs 3 times and they were black, said its just running too rich and adjusted it, obviously something else wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

check that your choke isnt sticking open, that'd leave you running very rich.
    Like i said, you're better off removing the choke cable alltogether and putting a cable tie on the little arm under the tank.
    If it was laid up for ages the carbs could be filthy, also check your air filter isnt clogged up, as that'd cause rich running too.

I hope you're not paying for these repairs. What year is it? i asked already but didnt see a reply, if its old+high mileage your carb needles may need to be replaced.

With a bike like the b250 you're really lookign at having to tinker with it a lot to keep it running well, particularly if its an older bike. I love mine but it breaks my heart with all the niggly little annoyances it has. I try to do as much of my service/repair work myself, at least that way i know exactly whats been done and not done, and i learn a lot about bike engines in the process. If you plan to keep it i'd advise learnign how to do basic servicing yourself.

I have the service manual for the GSF400, which is pretty much the same bike, PM me for a link to it if you want it

echomadman wrote:
    check that your choke isnt sticking open, that'd leave you running very rich.
    Like i said, you're better off removing the choke cable alltogether and putting a cable tie on the little arm under the tank.
    If it was laid up for ages the carbs could be filthy, also check your air filter isnt clogged up, as that'd cause rich running too.

I hope you're not paying for these repairs. What year is it? i asked already but didnt see a reply, if its old+high mileage your carb needles may need to be replaced.

With a bike like the b250 you're really lookign at having to tinker with it a lot to keep it running well, particularly if its an older bike. I love mine but it breaks my heart with all the niggly little annoyances it has. I try to do as much of my service/repair work myself, at least that way i know exactly whats been done and not done, and i learn a lot about bike engines in the process. If you plan to keep it i'd advise learnign how to do basic servicing yourself.

I have the service manual for the GSF400, which is pretty much the same bike, PM me for a link to it if you want it

Its a 99 model, i didnt think that was too old????all those things you mentioned though should have been done BEFORE i got the bike not now, it will be going back in the next few days and im trying to organise someone to go with me that knows what they are talking about, as i am sick of this, gonna try for a refund. Drove it hom from work just there and it was a bitch to start thought i have to end up pushing it again, il pm u now for d link, cheers

There have been developments, they took the bike back and said they brought it to another garage and fixed it. Bike still has problems, i got a guy i know to have a look at it and he noticed absolutly LOADS wrong with it - among others clutch on its way out, front wheel not purely straight, bolt missing on eingine etc etc etc, i didnt really notice these things as im only leanring and thought it was my crap driving.

He reckons i should get a mechanics report from another garage and show it to a solicitor and go in to northside with the solicitors letter and demand a refund , as a clucth would count as gearbox problem. to be honest i think a refund is my only option, aparently all the repairs would cost 100's to fix and ive only had the bike about 1-2months. What do u guys think, is that the route to go?? Do i have a leg to stand on when approaching a solicitor???

The guy in the garage has been lying through his teeth since i bought the bike and aparently it is dangerous to drive. Can anyone recommend me a good solicitor by pm'ing me. And how much does a mechanics report cost??

gline wrote:
    The guy in the garage has been lying through his teeth since i bought the bike and aparently it is dangerous to drive. Can anyone recommend me a good solicitor by pm'ing me. And how much does a mechanics report cost??
    I can't give you much advice on the rest, but explain the situation to the shop you leave it into (if a solicitor advises you), and arrange a deal to buy the new bike from them if they give you the report for nowt ;)

seamus wrote:
    I can't give you much advice on the rest, but explain the situation to the shop you leave it into (if a solicitor advises you), and arrange a deal to buy the new bike from them if they give you the report for nowt ;)

Hmm...??? sounds a bit sneaky, id rather not involve another garage into it

• Advertisement

Holy sh!t, its a 99? all the probs you describe sound like it was a 90/91, sic the lawyers on them, they obviously saw you coming and tried to offload a piece of crap on you, gettingan independant assesment of the bikes condition from another garage isnt sneaky, its the only way you can get a legal leg to stand on.

gline wrote:
    Hmm...??? sounds a bit sneaky, id rather not involve another garage into it
    Heh, actually now that I read it, it came out all wrong. I don't mean that you should get them to make the report look worse than it is. :D

seamus wrote:
    Heh, actually now that I read it, it came out all wrong. I don't mean that you should get them to make the report look worse than it is. :D

Ah i know you didnt mean that, but im not going to tell the garage i go to that it is to get a refund from another garage, gaages will stand up for eachother. Its best not to let them know why im getting a report done as it will be an honest report and not biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Do the AA check Bikes? They check cars and give an independent report.

This bike sounds like its been all around the world. Stolen, thrown off a cliff, ..twice. Then had the living daylights kicked out of it. :eek:

Do the AA check Bikes? They check cars and give an independent report.

This bike sounds like its been all around the world. Stolen, thrown off a cliff, ..twice. Then had the living daylights kicked out of it. :eek:

yeh it probably has TBH :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So have you confronted the garage yet?

Bond-007 wrote:
    So have you confronted the garage yet?

It has been back there 3 times in about a month and a half for repairs, i have given them the chance to fix it. They said they took it out for a spin and everything was fine, obviously they hadnt as it is in bits. I think 3 chances is enough.

just so you know, this had to be esculated to a solicitor as they would not refund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

gline wrote:
    just so you know, this had to be esculated to a solicitor as they would not refund

Pity it worked out like that. But thats the right thing to do.

ah its so much hassle though, i would have preferred just an easy refund which i am rightfully due, but it has gone beyond that now, awell.

• Advertisement

Bummer, the fact that they wont take it back surely adds weight to your case that it's a lemon.
    If there was no problem with it, they'd take it back quickly enough. Hopefully you'll get a good result from the legal action.
    Keep us posted.

echomadman wrote:
    Bummer, the fact that they wont take it back surely adds weight to your case that it's a lemon.
    If there was no problem with it, they'd take it back quickly enough. Hopefully you'll get a good result from the legal action.
    Keep us posted.

well if u heard the other stuff that happened in the meantime youd know i dont need anymore weight to my case, its nearly an open and shut case. But i dnt know wether i should post that stuff - lets just say when i politley asked for a refund with a friend of mine ,we got a less then polite response alone with a load of bullsh*t coming out of his mouth, never heard such crap, among other things that these things can happen due to wear and tear, i.e i caused most of it, loada of crap :mad:

il keep u posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

You're right not to mention anything that might prejudice your case - or something legal sounding like that ;)
    Don't forget to include your costs in the amount you sue for.

Also - Write down all the dates/times you visited the shop - what you said and what they said - preferably with the names of the people in the shop you spoke to.
    Keep all your written paperwork - receipts/invoice/was there an ad for the bike/etc.
    If your mate that was with you in the bike shop, will go to court as a witness that would support your story.
    All of this will help your solicitor make a strong case in court.

Basically, you don't want to get up in front of a judge and say stuff like "Eh, I was in there one time and the bloke said something like..."
    The defence can ask - "when did you go in"; "to whom did you speak"; "exactly what did this person say" etc. if you can't answer, it might seem like you don't know your facts.

best of luck with it :)
    causal

thanks for the advice i have most of that covered, im hoping the solicitors letter prompts him to action instead of having to go to court, i'l knnow in a few days

Advertisement