Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corolla KE30

• 19-03-2005 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

This car has often been discussed (usually by me or BrianD3 :D) so I think it finally deserves a thread of it's own !

I notice that in the current Buy & Sell, that there are TWO ads looking for a KE30 (and K20S ?)

Toyota Corolla KE30 & KE 20S Any Cond, cash waiting. 087-264 9918

Toyota KE30 Corolla parts wanted, or cpmplete car may suit, to restore existing 4dr model, all calls welcome. jason_g2000(AT)hotmail.com. 086-392 4833.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I generally do not like Japanese cars - and particurlarly hated the K30. I thought it looked ugly - strangely I liked the estate version which looked OK.
    I did like the K20 though - it was the first Japanese car I ever drove and I was impressed with the simple quality and preciseness of the controls. The fastback look of the K20 especially the ones with tinted glass made them look cool and expensive for the time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm not surprised that people are showing an interest in the K30. It's a very Irish classic IMO. They were extremely popular here and I'd say the Irish market was one of the best for Toyota in terms of K30s sold per head of population. I wonder if there are any figures available on how many Corollas were sold from 75-79 which was the era of the K30.

Anyway I'd say if someone had an immaculate K30 now it would attract a lot of attention and be a good talking point. Even a a non immaculate one would be interesting.

Also, RWD toyotas seem to be cult cars among modders, rally enthusiasts etc. RWD starlets are already in big demand and I predict that the K30 will soon follow this trend. Personally I 'm not into modding and prefer to see cars kept as original as possible however I'd still welcome any increase in interest in the K30.

(BTW all of the above comments apply to the K20 as well)

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Don't forget the ke25 or te27, they look very nice with trueno arches(or any arches see second pic) and superlites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I'm not into modding either ......think it spoils many-a-car !

BrianD3,
    I think the K30 ran from 1976 to 1980 (though I had an '81-reg model at one stage).

A few years ago I had a bit of a 'clearout' of old magazines and brochures, including a KE30 brochure and a 1981 Carina brochure - wish I had of kept both now :(

Alfa,
    My brother had a 1976 K30 Estate (dark blue) for c.6 years.
    Isopon was called into use on a few occassions :D (especially on the rear arches), but it was a very comfortable car to be in - more so than the saloon - probably because it would be more 'stable' on the road.

I remember he had a 'Who Shot J.R.' sticker in the rear window for a long time - and a NL (Netherlands)? sticker to cover a rust spot on the rear chrome bumper !
    .......It was also the first car I drove on the road :eek: :cool:

I agree BrianD3 - a very 'Irish' classic !!

The first pic I posted wasn't really modded. The arches are from the japanese Trueno that came with a 2TG engine. The performance version of the corolla.

• Advertisement

Alfa,

Here are a couple of K30 Estate pisc - look familiar ??

I recall seeing a white K30 Van (?) in Melbourne last year ?!

P.S. BrianD3, check out this site - full of RWD Corolla info and pics : www.geocities.com/Colosseum/4883/chistory.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Maybe a little OT but remember these?

I've never actually owned a K30 myself or driven one on a public road. However I spent countless hours being driven in my dad's one (cream coloured saloon) and in other people's ones. I also drove one in a field around 1992. 1992 was also the last time I was a passenger in one on the road, the car ran great except for a leaking radiator. Last time I saw a K30 on the road was around 1996 I'd say the government scrappage scheme around that time killed a lot of them off.

As for years - I think the KE30 was introduced in 75 and was offically replaced by the KE70 in 79 but there were probably some KE30s left over after the introduction of the new model resulting in a few KE30s being registered in 80 and even 81. Also, remember that many people in this country used to drive around for ages without registering their vehicles after buying them new, in those days FOR REG was a very common registration on Irish roads :D

I do know for definite that the AE80 saloon was introduced in 1983 as a neighbour used to have an 83-XX one. I'm sure there were plenty of KE70 stragglers registered in 1984 though. So if the AE80 came in 83 and the cars have 4 year product cycles then that would suggest 75-79 for KE30, 79-83 for KE70, 83-87 for AE-80, 87-91 for AE90 etc. These years might vary a bit if you're talking about estates.

:)

BrianD3

Just out of interest were the 3 door estate versions of the K30 sold here?

I think I saw at least one 3dr Estate K30 on our roads.

Anybody ever see a K30 Van (i.e. estate without windows) in Ireland ?
    (I thought I took a pic of the one I saw in Melbourne last year, but I can't locate the pic among my MANY rolls of film !)

(I remember those Celica's btw, CJ. Might be worth a thread of their own. I have a few pics I could add !)

• Advertisement

Just noticed a post over on Octane.ie by Alfasudcrazy, where he says there is a garage in the buffer zone in Cyprus with 'new' K20's Cressidas etc in it !!?
    (i.e. must have been abandonded in a hurry when the island was divided).

Wouldn't it be great to see that garage ? :eek:

'New' K20/K30's.... BrianD3 !:D

Are there any countries where these car have been made up to recently such as vw beetles in south america and I think that nissan still made an old datsun pick up in Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

CJhaughey wrote:
    Maybe a little OT but remember these?

You might be interested in this site
    http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com

Has pictures of all the 7 generations of Celicas.

Silvera wrote:
    Just noticed a post over on Octane.ie by Alfasudcrazy, where he says there is a garage in the buffer zone in Cyprus with 'new' K20's Cressidas etc in it !!?
    (i.e. must have been abandonded in a hurry when the island was divided).

Wouldn't it be great to see that garage ? :eek:

'New' K20/K30's.... BrianD3 !:D
    Yep, I saw that post on octane, shame he wasn't allowed take any pics of the "timewarp" garage.

Closer to home I see someone in the B+S is offering an '80 Cressida which is in need of restoration. I wonder what's the story with body panels and trim for old jap machinery, I'd say they would be almost impossible to acquire.

BrianD3

Yes, I suspect that parts supply could be a challenge !

Though, I recall reading in a UK mag that parts for a lot of Datsuns were available through main dealers - specifically for the Datsun 240Z, although they are now being sold 'new'* again in the U.S, so that might explain it !

(Incidentially, there is a scrapped 78-81 brown Cressida beside Heffernans Tyre Centre on the way into Kildare Town (opposite Kildare Chilling Co). It looks kinda rough but there could be some good parts left on it - rear lights look ok).

Re parts for a K30, one of the Uk suppliers in my 'Suppliers' thread can supply sills or wings (or both?) for K30's.

(*re-manufactured 240Z's sold through US Nissan dealerships).

I wonder who here will be the first to spot a K30 either at a show or on the road ? :D

I saw a Blue one for sale in Kenmare not too long ago, but the dealer just "disappeared" so I don't know what the story was...

Hey BrianD3,

If you have the dollars (and the inclination!), you could buy a mint K30 - and have a nice holiday as well ! :D

1980 Corolla KE30 1.6
    Yellow
    57,000 miles
    Price: $1,999 AUD.

Epping, Melbourne,
    Australia.

Advertisement