Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get some chickens?

• 19-03-2005 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've been thinking about getting some chickens (no more than 5) for a while, as I had 3 as a child and loved them. I am decent at woodwork and would be able to make an enclosure for them, but I'm just wondering where would I get hold of some good healthy chickens? It's egg-layers I'm looking for. I'm afraid to buy them from the Buy&Sell or the like in case someone is just selling off the worst of their flock and I'll end up with bad birds. I don't mind if they're young chicks or point-of-lay pullets as long as the sex is distinguishable, as I only want females. Are there any hatcheries or the like in the Dublin/Kildare area?

PS I'm not looking for an Easter pet or anything like it so if anyone is worried that I'm only looking for a novelty pet, don't be. Like I said I've had chickens before and currently have 4 birds, 2 of which are due to be parents any day now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hiya Nala,

I am in Laois - we have heaps of chickens laying that we rescued from a battery hen place - they are all healthy & if I never see another egg it will be too true - I know my mum wants to sell some as we have over 20 & they have destroyed the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Hi Bond-007. Well I am still undecided as to whether or not I will go ahead with getting some chickens but I will let you know if I decide to.

Cheers!

Nala

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Bond, how much are you selling the chickens for? And how old are they? I'm also hoping to get some chickens soon, and I need two good layers that have a good while left in them. How are you keeping them currently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hiya,

No idea what my mum wants for the choocks to be honest, as I said they were rescued last year - they were battery hens & now the free range they are fed layers pellets, corn & oats & they get vegtable peeling boiled up & have bread they are all about a year old but may be a bit older, Choocks can live for 10 or more years. They have a hen house but go where ever they like. When they arrived they had pale & flat combs & now they are bright red & upright.

Advertisement