Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.6Ghz to 3.2Ghz?

Options
  • 19-03-2005 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have upgraded my ram to 1gig, have a 6800GT and am looking for something else to do to my dell. I dont have the money to build a new pc so this would probably be my last mod until i finish college. Currently have a 2.6Ghz pentium 4 processor and am considering upgrading to the 3.2Ghz. Will this have any noticable effect on anything (wanna break 5k on 3dmark2005, at 4800 now) or should i save my money for a LCD monitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hmmm... Would the money better off spent of a new case, board and PSU and just transfer the rest of your components over... That way you would just OC the 2.6 you have on the new boards..

A 3.2 P4 is €200 or so yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh oc'on it to 3.2 wouldnt be that bad of an idea. is 800mhz bus cpu?? prescott?? (im not sure if there was a 2.6ghz prescott released, 2.8 may have been the slowest, i cant remeber).

gline wrote:
    yeh oc'on it to 3.2 wouldnt be that bad of an idea. is 800mhz bus cpu?? prescott?? (im not sure if there was a 2.6ghz prescott released, 2.8 may have been the slowest, i cant remeber).

2.8 was the slowest Prescott I think :/

Defo a Socket 478 CPU anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Whether it's northwood or prescott it should go to 3.2ghz easily enough on a decent mobo with a decent heatsink.

BloodBath

• Advertisement

Yeah thats why I suggested it. Could a case, board and psu of decent quality be bought for that money?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

2.6 is Northwood. Buy case/PSU/mobo is a good suggestion, but aren't we forgetting something?

What is the 1 gig ram? It needs to be PC4000, or overclockable to that to get it the Northwood up to 3.2

A cooling solution will also have to be purchased

Anyway, I would advise this route over sticking another CPU into your Dell. And to answer your question, yes it would make a notable difference albeit not that big a difference, but looking forward you're better off building a new rig

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

The RAM is PC3200. The reason I dont wanna go the route of a new case, mobo etc right now is that once i graduate next year I wanna build one from scratch using PCI-E graphics cards thus necessitating pretty much new everything all over again! The 2.6 is the northwood but I have confirmed the prescott has no problems in a dell and because it is now priced at just over 200 euro I wondered would there be any benefit to it or save my pennies for my rig next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

to be honest i don't think you would see much of an improvement between 2.6 and 3.2, well not in the real world. Don't get me wrong I love to benchmark my systems but with a dell motherboard as a base you may as well wait and go for gold when you put ur new sys together

Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

nah i dont agree, i think youd notice a good bit of preformance increase, 600mhz jump is noticeable coming from a 2.6

• Advertisement
Advertisement