Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Getting rid of Windows XP Security Centre

• 20-03-2005 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Eh I downloaded Windows XP Security Centre from an update and the firewall that comes with it is causing me loads of problems. I can't get into messenger and both my media player and real player won't accept downloads from the internet. Essentially Id like to either get rid of these settings or find a way of manipulating the firewall so I can do the above activities. Can anyone help? Itd be much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Have you Disabled the firewall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭redsupper

A firewall is like Zonealarm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Eh I downloaded Windows XP Security Centre from an update and the firewall that comes with it is causing me loads of problems.

This update being Service Pack 2 of course :)
    You might want to disable the windows firewall, if you have 3rd party firewalls try disabling them to see if it resolves the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

You can program the firewall to allow programs to connect to the internet with it still active. All you have to do is add say realplayer.exe to the exeptions list and then the program will be able to connect through the firewall. Its the same for messenger. Sometimes if you activate a new program thats trying to connect to the internet an option will appear asking you to allow access. In anycase it's not recommended to shut off the firewall as a hacker might try to break into your PC. You can also disable the windows security centre options that alert you by changing the alert optins in the main menu.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Infini wrote:
    In anycase it's not recommended to shut off the firewall as a hacker might try to break into your PC

sigh..
    Oh yes hackers are always trying to hack into my pc,

Ok rather then calling people hackers lets call them scriptkiddies, aswell as that its also not something the average joe should be scared of unless they have there system riddled with various virus such as sub7, backorifice etc (which a dsecent up-to-date AV package will take care of anyway as well as windowsupdates) :)

Lets not try to scare the average joe more then the media already does.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Alexisonfire

Cheers lads Im gonna give those ideas a try now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

redsupper wrote:
    A firewall is like Zonealarm
    in the same way an operating system is like windows.
    Zonealarm is just one example of one type of firewall - though it's free for home use and it's pretty good in remembering what apps you allow on to the internet.
    Cabaal wrote:
    its also not something the average joe should be scared of unless they have there system riddled
    TBH: while many antivirus programs clean trojans a fair few do nothing for malware and scripts. Best to have firewall & latest microsoft patches & almost any upto date freeware antivirus is better than one who's subscription ended last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Start> control panel> administrative tools> services
    find "security center", stop it, change it's startup type to disable.

www.nod32.ie > download> subscribe

:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ciaranfo wrote:
    download> subscribe
    :confused:
    Are you suggesting a trojan cleaner because the system is slow ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

would the simple answer to the ops qusetion not be :
    control panel > security centre > windows firewall > disable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

This post has been deleted.

censored.jpg

heh,heh! :cool:

Advertisement