Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Tags

Options
  • 08-06-2001 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

The newest scourge from MS. The version of IE shipping with XP will have the ability to hyperlink words on your website dynamically.
    i.e.
    Every instance of the word XML on your site could be a link to a MS spiel about XML without you even writing the code.

It seems there's also a possibility that people can 'buy' words. i.e. I could pay for the word 'Linux' and have every occurence of that word link to my site.

Apparently MS will supply a META tag that allows developers to turn off Smart Tags in their pages.

This sucks on so many levels. If I want something hyperlinked I'll bloody well hyperlink it myself! You'll have no idea what your site is linking to.

On a personal level I tend to highlight text an awful lot as I'm reading it, don't know why I do it, habit I guess. If every second word is a hyperlink I'll end up flying all over the place.

This has to be stopped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

That does sound **** alright but basically you either live with it or go camp in Torvalds back yard if you be catching my meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

It's not as bad as it seams
    they will be turned off by defalt
    web page makers can turn them off
    so if people do not want them they do not
    have to have them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Sounds like MS and Gates are trying to take over what little freedom was left!

If I could switch to Linux 100% of the time I would... I'm tired of having to deal with the quirks introduced by Microsoft - an extra META tag sounds like they've reneged on any plans for web standards again... and there I was feeling optimistic for once.....

IrishSearch.net
    IrishFreelance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Personally, I think SmartTags is just the next barrage of wild attacks on Microsoft -- don't get me wrong, there are a lot of reasons to attack Microsoft :) but I don't think SmartTags will be such a Big Deal (tm).

What is interesting though, is how Microsoft Innovates these days. When new features and "standards" have a Business Model you know it's time to worry.

Wonder what their next big idea is ? Detecting skin-tones in jpegs and replacing them with erotic pictures of Bill Gates ? ...well I can dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

this bad. very bad. microsoft will practically own the web ffs.

Advertisement