Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing

• 20-03-2005 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

I'm going to attempt to get into UCD when I finish school but have a slight problem... My family and I moved to England last year so I can't live at home. I really don't have a clue about housing etc. and want to get all my options sorted so I can see what I can do.

So... how difficult is it to get into the student housing? Is it nice? The UCD website is a bit vague on some of it. What other options do I have if my application for the college's housing is denied, like are people usually willing to share flats/houses with cheap enough rent with total strangers?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

It used to be pretty hard to get into on-campus accomodation if you didn't know someone 'on the inside', but I think they've just introduced a new system whereby the further you live from college, the more likely you are to get it. Coming from England should, under the new framework, pretty much guarantee you get it.
    'Nice' ... mmm.. that's subjective, but from what I've seen, it's nice enough. The bedrooms aren't massive but they do have desks and a bit of storage space. It seems to depend on who you're living with.. I've seen places that were very nicely kept and pleasant, and others that.. mm.. weren't. Maybe someone who's actually lived there can comment on that.
    If you don't get in, www.daft.ie is your man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 qotsaman

ive been in a few different res on campus and most are grand, i mean they are no mansion but has everything you need, and lets face it, how often are you going to be there?! you have everything near by-pub,shops,laudrette,bus into town. none of my friends ever had any major problems but am told that the eletricity bills can be a bit high but thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Ive only been in belgrove but after being in a good few there...
    Id say as long as you dont intend on spending much time actually living there theyre grand - really close to the student bar, handy for having people back to after nightsout and before etc. Only problem is the bedrooms are tiny and the mainroom isnt the biggest, it can be done up nicely though if the residents put in enough effort (though most Ive seen are a permanent kip)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Pinx

I haven't lived on campus in UCD but I had a few friends who did. The bedrooms are small, but the living area is ok. They are furnished very basically, but they're ok. I've heard they're expensive, but I think all your bills are included. Not sure though, make sure you check! They're great for making friends though as it's a really close knit community and everyone knows everyone else.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You have to pay your ESB bill as far as I know, in Merville the meter will cut you off if you go over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I heard something about €5 or €10 electricity cards you could buy in the nearby shop? What's the story with those? Like a kind of hotel system where it's pay as you go?

And just to let you know I'd be applying for 2006. Thanks for all the help. I thought I'd be going to college from home until the move so had never even thought about this before. I'm going to be in Dublin over Easter so could you tell me where I could get leaflets or any kind of information regarding housing from? I vaguely know the campus layout from Transition Year PE. Treasure hunts and all. Heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

I dont think you get those cards in Belgrove, just a bill...my mate is always moaning about his electricity bill and never lets anyone turn on the heater or leave lights on or anything anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 PoloBroin

I spent 3 years in belgrove, 1st, 3rd and 4th, (1996-99)

overall there are 3 different residences: Belgrove, Merville and Roebuck
    all on campus (though recently they have added on a new section to the Merville one and I've never seen the inside of that)

am pretty sure Merville is the only one which you have to pre-pay for electricity while in Belgrove the bills can be high enough in Winter, depending really on how much you're using the storage heaters, it depends who you live with(it wouldn't put me off living there obviously) eg if the place is empty for 4 weeks over Christmas that'll make a big difference compared with if it's not empty and the heat is always on,

Belgrove generally are 3 bedroom places while Merville are 4 bed, both have a grand living area,

Roebuck is usually 3 bed places, not great inside (when i was there, well the living area but the bedrooms are OK I think) but at the same time the way the place is laid out you tend to meet a lot of people and I know some people who went back to Roebuck year after year,

all in all, it's a great place to live, especially in 1st year cos you meet so many people, so good luck with the application

more info at http://www.ucd.ie/accommodation.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 PoloBroin

and have just worked out that it's only €355 per month which is a damn site less than I'm paying now and you don't have to worry about a 12 month lease like all the dodgy landlords insist on so good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

does anyone know if its true that accomodation next year is only for 1st years and final year students?
    Im in First year now and was hoping to get into res accomodation next year, would be disapointed if i dont get it, but i suppose its better for 1st years coming in.
    Wish i had got it in 1st year!

• Advertisement
Advertisement