Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting question [long shot perhaps...]

Options
  • 08-06-2001 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Am looking for a cheap (or free...?) place that will host a site. Must support ASP and preferably ASP.NET.

Any recommendations, anyone?

Bard
    "Have a gorilla!" ... "No thanks, I'll have one of my monkeys, they're milder."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

oh... ok- nevermind - I found some...

http://www.aspfree.com/asp/freeasphost.asp

I might as well leave the post here for reference.

Bard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Ta bard I was actually looking for one of them meself (though not actively). Do they support perl and stuff, and are they merely hosts or do they give you a subdomain or something???

Dunno exactly Baz- I'm just looking through the sites on that list at the moment myself - at least one of them (www.realftp.com) doesn't seem to work at all - submitting the sign up form ended up with a blank page. I'll let you know what luck I have with the rest.

Bard

ta.

Domain Deluxe (www.domaindlx.com) is on that list - its full of frickin' annoying popup ad windows and I ended up signing up for a web based email account thinking I was getting free hosting.

RealFTP (www.realftp.com) seems to have unreliable connections. In fact, their website seems to be dead at the moment.

Avoid.

Bard
    I walk through walls/ I float down the Liffey/ I'm not here/ This isn't happening

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 12-06-2001).]

• Advertisement

On first glance, Brinkster seems fine... even though I got SQL server errors twice when trying to sign up. Thankfully the SQL error messages were clear enough - first time, it didn't like the apostrophe in my surname, second time my member name needed to be different to my login name... some better validation would be in order there!

Managed to join it ok though, which is more than I can say for the others. I'll let you know if it's any good.

Bard
    I walk through walls/ I float down the Liffey/ I'm not here/ This isn't happening

Okay- apart from the lack (it seems) of a full FTP service, Brinkster seems quite good, with a basic web based file manager system (like what boards.ie have for the members pages) but with support for ASP and Access databases.

I'm trying to set a site up on it now.

Bard

Update:

the stuff I uploaded to Brinkster which is working fine on an NT4 server elsewhere doesn't seem to be working. I dont know what the problem is with it- I just seem to get a "HTTP 500 Internal Error" each time.

*sigh*

[Edit]: whoops... that was my fault rolleyes.gif - I'd forgotten to upload an include file and had "friendly error messages" switched on.

Nice service, that Brinkster smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 12-06-2001).]

ta bard I'll look that up when I get home.

Advertisement