Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bandwagon Supporters

• 20-03-2005 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

The worst kind of them all in my book :mad: and id nearly include huns in that category as well(being a Celtic fan that is), :rolleyes: :D im a frequent traveller to and from London Gatwick/Heathrow,the last say 7/8 months on weekends ive noticed a far greater than usual number of Chelski "supporters" flying back to Dublin,funnily enough prior to last year you`d be very lucky to see even a single one,you`d always get your token Man United/Liverpool,etc fans but seeing a Chelski fan was a rarity flying to Ireland, but it seems thesedays there is plenty of them,well i spotted at least 10 in Gatwick Airport a couple of hours earlier,2 weeks ago there was at least 25 oif them including men with their sons with bags galore from the Chelski superstore, have people like this no shame at all jumping on the bandwagon?Ok maybe not all of them are jumping on the bandwagon but funnily enough they were nowhere to be seen when Chelski were an ordinary team,now they are looking likely to win the Premiership and going well in the CL these lags suddendly appear out of the woodwork,i personally hate Chelski but ive nothing against their genuine fans,and i do admire their Football, but people who jump on the bandwagon infuriate me greatly,i would never ever support anybody else but my own and it sickens me when that thgere are people like this who might have "supported" another club then decided they had enough and start "supporting" another club... :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

lol...yeah nothing gets abandwagon going like success...

remember a few years ago when blackburn won the title....i saw tonnes of thier bloody shirts around.... :eek: tbh, i'd practically never heard of them till they got promoted to the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

RuggieBear wrote:
    lol...yeah nothing gets abandwagon going like success...

remember a few years ago when blackburn won the title....i saw tonnes of thier bloody shirts around.... :eek: tbh, i'd practically never heard of them till they got promoted to the premiership.

Yeah i remember that as well i used to give thjem some grief,asked them what was the name of Blackburns ground,half of them hadnt a clue,fcukin w ankers the lot of them......

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nearly as irritating as people who jump on the bandwagon of calling teams by clever, hilarious names like 'Chelski' .

Nearly as irritating as people who jump on the bandwagon of calling teams by clever, hilarious names like 'Chelski' .

Yes thank you for your very interesting input :rolleyes: maybe your one of those "supporters" im on about..........

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

jonny68 wrote:
    Yes thank you for your very interesting input :rolleyes: maybe your one of those "supporters" im on about..........

Well I only support teams between June and August, when they're confirmed champions. Better not take the risk of backing a loser by following them into September and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Everybody loves a bandwagon.

Well I only support teams between June and August, when they're confirmed champions. Better not take the risk of backing a loser by following them into September and beyond.

lol.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Alas, its true.
    I have seen the chelsea bandwagon here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

... and whatever happened to stop the production of that Arsenal/ManU reversable jersey? That's what I'd like to know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well what happens I think is the following:

Kids are growing up, and when uyou're 7 o 8 y ou either pick the team your dad or your friends support, or you pick the team you like.
    A lot of kids would thus pick Chelsea, thus you get lots of new blood, and I dont think anybody would call that wrong.

Then everyone sees Chelsea, and other people just start supporting them.
    All starts with the kids.

That said, I've got nothign against Bandwagon supporters.
    They don't get in the way of other supporters and they are incredibly important for the team.
    If any team was asked would they like 40000 bandwagon supporters they'd say yes.
    It would fill up the stadium and get more jearseys sold.

Bandwagon supporters are the best thing that can happen to a football team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Every team /league has them if they paying into the ground and going to the matches who cares.

Better that armchair supporters imo.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Your local Eircom League team could do with a few 'bandwagon' supporters. Why not go to a few games? Hell of a lot cheaper than travellign over to see foreign teams on a regular basis too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

That's the great thing about being Irish. The Irish league is shíte, so you can pick what English team you want to follow. Unless you leave it too late, then people will think you're a spa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Its all a bit patethic I think. All I used to see were Man United supporters. Now I rarely see a Man Utd shirt. I have NEVER seen people wearing chelsea jerseys (well maybe 1 or 2 ), but Chelsea shirts are on the rise.

Its bandwagon stuff alright. A little lame I think. I never understood why people go over to Ingerland, cheer on teams there and call them their own. Yet once the team starts to do poorly they rarely fly over.

The real supporters are usually from the locality and support the team even when they are doing sh1t. Like all those liverpool supporters (from liverpool!) who had to go through the Houllier years.
    The Irish league is shíte, so you can pick what English team you want to follow.

Apart from the top 3 or 4 teams, the priemership is muck ! just look how easy they give the ball away, its something you see out in a school yard. Picking the top team to support is pretty lame. The supporter never sticks.

IThe real supporters are usually from the locality and support the team even when they are doing sh1t. Like all those liverpool supporters (from liverpool!) who had to go through the Houllier years.

Bet most of those starting supporting the pool in the 80s.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Probably a generalisation here but I think anyone who has decided to 'support' a team before they've even been to a home game should be thrown in with these bandwagoners.

Recall the passage from Fever Pitch where the main character is reluctlantly brought to his first Arsenal game and only begins his allegiance to the team WHILST there.

Well, thats the way it was for me and that's the way I think it should be for all football supporters. Doesn't really matter where you're from but it should matter HOW you made the connection. The playground, league position and MOTD highlights are not the things that should influence your support for a team and if they do then you're either just a sheep or an armchair fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some of the bandwagoners will actually continue top support which ever team is the cause of the wagon...I think most of the current crop of Pool supporters here were bought up in the Daglish era as said above when guys like Lawrenson, Wheelan, Aldo and Houghton were in the team. I'm sure if Norwich City had a crop of Irish players they'd be the cause of a bandwagon.

Well maybe not!

Mike.

Probably a generalisation here but I think anyone who has decided to 'support' a team before they've even been to a home game should be thrown in with these bandwagoners.

Thats a bit silly, means no kids can support football teams till their parents bring them over ot the game

PHB wrote:
    Thats a bit silly, means no kids can support football teams till their parents bring them over ot the game

:rolleyes:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KdjaC wrote:
    :rolleyes:

kdjac

my sentiments exactly Kdjac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I love these regular rants about the "bandwagon". And in typical boring (not to mention ironic) fashion, its started by a United fan, before the Eircom league fans get their dig in about the English league.

Why do people have such a problem about why and how other people follow? Its football for gods sake.

Why do people have such a problem about why and how other people follow? Its football for gods sake.

Thread title : Bandwagon Supporters
    Thread Subject: People not liking Bandwagon Supporters and posting why.

Its not rocket science to make the connection.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

bandwagons of new supporters come with success, that's why London is full of 30/40 year old Man utd fans who started their support in the glory days of MAn u. It's also kinda funny to hear this from a Celtic fan, it's not like Celtic have been immune to bandwagonism ove the past decade, pre larsson there was nowhere near the same amount of Celtic jerseys on the streets of Ireland. Of course you're going to see more "new fans" around , I don't mind this if they continue to support the team until they die. Chelsea has, admittedly, a very new fan base that has grown over the last 10 years, i'm always suprised at the amounts of Europeans, Japanese etc that i see at Stamford Bridge, I used to be a bit wound up by this but fair play the club needs them to sell out the grounds. Look at the numbers of Scandinavians at all the Old Trafford games, all because they were always on TV there. Chelsea are all over the TV these days so they ge more of these fans now. Not everyone can afford to travel regularly to see their teams, I hope they enjoy getting to see the game and not change colours at a whim.

Maybe a team tattoo should be compulsory to prove dedication and commitment. ;)

KdjaC wrote:
    Thread title : Bandwagon Supporters
    Thread Subject: People not liking Bandwagon Supporters and posting why.

Its not rocket science to make the connection.
    What are you talking about? Where did I say that there was no connection between the two?

I remarked that I cant understand why people feel so strongly about supposed "bandwagon" supporters. 25 posts in 13 hours (not to mention a few rolls of the eyes) indicates that there are a lot of strong feelings on the matter.

Its football, who cares.

Also when it comes down to it, EVERY single team with some sort of a following has gathered up that following due to some sort of success (or hype: i.e. new stadium/facilities) at whatever level they play at.

Also when it comes down to it, EVERY single team with some sort of a following has gathered up that following due to some sort of success (or hype: i.e. new stadium/facilities) at whatever level they play at.

Except teams who have never won anything ever, not every team wins things.

You asked why people had such a problem, i noted the title and subject and connection. Noone like s bandwagon fans except those who know they are them.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Except teams who have never won anything ever, not every team wins things.
    Success isnt always defined by the amount of trophies won.

A team in the Eircom league who have never won anything is "successful" in comparison to a team in the Leinster league. Hence attendances in the Leinster league are lower on average than the Eircom.

I love to see EL fans get on their high horses in topics such as this. I follow a team in the Leinster league, yet never feel the need to label the likes of Shels or Bohs fans as "bandwagoners" or "glory hunters" because to be honest I dont care.

Its football, its there to be enjoyed, at whatever level, and for whatever reason.
    KdjaC wrote:
    You asked why people had such a problem, i noted the title and subject and connection. Noone like s bandwagon fans except those who know they are them.
    Neither the title and subject connection, nor you view that "no one likes bandwagon fans" shed any light on why they dont to be honest.

Well tbh, i'm a band wagon supporter too....ever since my local team made it into the National league division 1 in the 80's, i've been soaking up the glory from all my peers.....C'mon Bray!

As for my "english" team.....tbh i just started supporting Villa after the 1990 world cup....all those irish players, teal, richardson, dalian atkinson...glory years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

if liverpool dont get into the champions league for next season im going to play for chelsea next year

eyerer wrote:
    if liverpool dont get into the champions league for next season im going to play for chelsea next year

hi stevie

• Advertisement

hahahahahhahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

That's the great thing about being Irish. The Irish league is shíte, so you can pick what English team you want to follow. Unless you leave it too late, then people will think you're a spa.

Go way and wind up a dinky.

I love these regular rants about the "bandwagon". And in typical boring (not to mention ironic) fashion, its started by a United fan, before the Eircom league fans get their dig in about the English league.

Because in my book if you support a team you STICK WITH THEM THROUGH THICK AND THIN thats why,let me give you an example,ive supported Celtic (and to a lesser extent Man United) for over 25 years and have stuck with them through thick and thin,i also support Bohs my local team in the Eircom League in case any of the "sometimes shallow" EL fans start having a dig about not supporting local Football,that is my point,ive no problem with kids up to maybe 11/12 changing teams,however anybody older than that and especially adults changing their teams is in my book pathetic,honest to God how the hell can anybody stick up for a bandwagon jumper..sad........

growler wrote:
    . It's also kinda funny to hear this from a Celtic fan, it's not like Celtic have been immune to bandwagonism ove the past decade, pre larsson there was nowhere near the same amount of Celtic jerseys on the streets of Ireland. ;)

Of course Celtic have bandwagon supporters i never said otherwise,i hope your not trying to accuse me of being one though,i was there during the bad days on the 1990`s when there was a boycott on against the board and less than 12`000 turned up at Parkhead for one match ,and i may add i held a season ticket back then too,

jonny68 wrote:
    ,i hope your not trying to accuse me of being one though,,

not accusing you of anything bhoy, just making the point that celtic have accumulated more bandwagon irish fans than most teams in recent years.

Some people don't care about football as much as you seem to do, and only support a team for fun.
    They aren't in it for thick and thin, they are in it for fun, and when its no longer fun, they don't want to keep in it being sad, praying for a draw to stay up.
    Some people like that, some people don't.
    They want a different thign out of the game, get off your high horse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Theres a bandwagon in every country, no more so than Ireland, where people jump on many countries. While Celtic always had a big fanbase here for some reason, the jerseys are all the more seen now they are succesful again. When Rangers are top of the pile again, you will not see half as many Celtic chirts around the place.

That's the great thing about being Irish. The Irish league is shíte, so you can pick what English team you want to follow. Unless you leave it too late, then people will think you're a spa

:rolleyes: :D possibly the best line I have ever read on boards. This guy has probably never been to an eL match, just prefers to make easy assumptions about something he doesnt know anything about. As for picking a team you want to follow, why is it always the same 2-3 teams people want to follow - Liverpool/Man U/Celtic etc???

And if a great thing about being Irish is the freedom to complain about your own league and follow another, then we must be a very backward, ignorant nation.

back to bandwagons, I see Shels are gathering a nice handy one at the mo!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

gimmick wrote:
    As for picking a team you want to follow, why is it always the same 2-3 teams people want to follow - Liverpool/Man U/Celtic etc???

Because of those teams made footballing history in this part of the world :)

gimmick wrote:
    :rolleyes: :D possibly the best line I have ever read on boards. This guy has probably never been to an eL match, just prefers to make easy assumptions about something he doesnt know anything about. As for picking a team you want to follow, why is it always the same 2-3 teams people want to follow - Liverpool/Man U/Celtic etc???

And if a great thing about being Irish is the freedom to complain about your own league and follow another, then we must be a very backward, ignorant nation.
    By etc I presume you mean Arsenal, Aston Villa, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle and so on?

Because, traditionally, they are the teams that are televised and are worth watching? I've been to EL league games and while they're entertaining (as any level of football match is), the standard is dreadful. Hard to get excited about two small Irish teams booting the ball around the pitch in front of a small crowd when you can flick on Sky sports any saturday/sunday (or, living in London, hop on the tube) and see a better standard of game played for much higher stakes.

To whoever said the rest of the premiership is absolutely muck - you're right. Why watch the premiership if the top 3 aren't playing, you'd see much better quality football in the EL. hehehehe.

By etc I presume you mean Arsenal, Aston Villa, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle and so on?

Lets be fair here, there arent that many Irish Newcastle/Villa/Middlesboro fans around are there? And up to quite recently the exact same could be said of Arsenal and Chelsea.

As for eL Vs Other leagues, well every league has poor games. Ive seen some great games in the eL, and seen some absolute muck live (I was at Fulham Vs Charlton a few wks ago, absolute cack).

I know a lot more Irish Villa, Newcastle and Spurs fans than Arsenal or Chelsea. What does it matter why someone starts supporting a team, it's all swings and roundabouts in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Maybe some people get that the LOI isn't going to get any better without more supporters , and if you want to see good football in this country in the coming go support your local Eircom league side and it could make a tremedous difference .

If all the people who don't go to LOI 'because it crap' went to see games , the league would be top quality .

gimmick wrote:

:rolleyes: :D possibly the best line I have ever read on boards. This guy has probably never been to an eL match, just prefers to make easy assumptions about something he doesnt know anything about. ;)

I dont know if your referring to me here but if you are your talking bull**** because i hold a membership @ Bohs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Anyone looking to be a bandwagon supporter please apply here!!! http://www.swfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home

We are 4th in the league and look to be in Playoffs anyway!!! come on people!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Big Nelly wrote:
    Anyone looking to be a bandwagon supporter please apply here!!! http://www.swfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home

We are 4th in the league and look to be in Playoffs anyway!!! come on people!!!

come on now everyone - sign up!
    if you subscribe before we get promoted (hopefully) you too can complain about all these bandwagon jumpers who only support wednesday cus they are back in the big time(championship).

at least you can say you have followed them when they were in Division 1.

jonny68 wrote:
    I dont know if your referring to me here but if you are your talking bull**** because i hold a membership @ Bohs...

Look at my post again. How could you have reckoned it was you I was having a go at????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

come on now everyone - sign up!
    if you subscribe before we get promoted (hopefully) you too can complain about all these bandwagon jumpers who only support wednesday cus they are back in the big time(championship).

at least you can say you have followed them when they were in Division 1.

Exactly....and then when we win the Championship and go on to win the PL/FA Cup and Champions League the following season you can all say that you where there when it all started......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Apart from the top 3 or 4 teams, the priemership is muck ! just look how easy they give the ball away, its something you see out in a school yard. Picking the top team to support is pretty lame. The supporter never sticks.
    anwer this honestly jolly, why did you start supporting Shels last season?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1806081&postcount=29
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2055534&postcount=34
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

It's quiet simple.
    1. Teams win things (Utd in the '60s, '90s, Liverpool in '70s, '80s, Arsenal every other odd year, Chelsea '00s ?)
    2. Young fans support teams cos they are winning i.e. bandwagon, lots of Utd fans aged 50+ and 10+ out there, lots of Liverpool fans 30+ out there.
    3. In between you have a few teams being competetive for a few years, Everton and Villa in '80s, Newcastle in 90s etc. so they pickup a few fans.

Nothing wrong with it, all support bases are started by a bandwagon, anyone who complains about it is just arrogant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

por wrote:
    It's quiet simple.
    1. Teams win things (Utd in the '60s, '90s, Liverpool in '70s, '80s, Arsenal every other odd year, Chelsea '00s ?)
    2. Young fans support teams cos they are winning i.e. bandwagon, lots of Utd fans aged 50+ and 10+ out there, lots of Liverpool fans 30+ out there.
    3. In between you have a few teams being competetive for a few years, Everton and Villa in '80s, Newcastle in 90s etc. so they pickup a few fans.

Nothing wrong with it, all support bases are started by a bandwagon, anyone who complains about it is just arrogant

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. You've got to factor the 'Irish' thing in too. I know in the past if a club had an Irish contingent on their books then Irish people were a lot more likely to support them, as Liverpool and United have had in the past. Maybe nowadays that's not so important though?

Btw, everyone start to support Brighton and Hove Albian.
    Great team with a great team spirit. A few years ago they were in the conference and now they are in the championship and fighting for promotion.
    I used to play with them as the team I take from the conference to the premiership in championship manager so I'm partial to them.
    http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home/0,,10433,00.html

Buy a jearsey, follow them on TV, they need all the bandwagon they can get and are arguably the most successful football team in England ever! Won division 3, then won division 2, and now in the division 1, championship!
    You gotta love their spirit.
    They are playing tonight on Sky Sports 1 vs Reading, watch the dedication they give to the team, its 111111100%, 7:45 :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement