Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bandwagon Supporters

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

PHB wrote:
    A few years ago they were in the conference and now they are in the championship and fighting for promotion.

Presumably you're still talking about your 'ChampionshipManager' game here as a quick scan indicates they're currently 3pts from the relegation zone and currently fighting 'promotion' to League1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

anwer this honestly jolly, why did you start supporting Shels last season?

Supporting your own local team does not constitute jumping on the bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Supporting your own local team does not constitute jumping on the bandwagon.
    But if it was Bohs getting to the 3rd qualifying round last year while Shels were in a relegation fight you'd be supporting Bohs.

you'd be supporting Bohs

Slim chance of that ever happening :D:D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Slim chance of that ever happening :D:D .

Which? You supporting Bohs or just supporting anyone in general? After all according to the datestamps you didn't even go to the Portadown match :p

me supporting bohs and no i didnt go to the Portadown match:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fighting from relegation is what I meant to say, silly me :) They just wont he CL twice in a row in FM2005 :) That said, they rock, support them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

pathetic.

so are we meant to support boring mediocre teams in england that never win anything?

sounds like great fun to me!! oh, wait, its not meant to be fun! we're meant to get tattoos on our face stating our allegiance to a team in a sport! are we allowed support players? or will the elitist "non bandwagon supporters" not let us in their gang coz we're not cool enough! :rolleyes:

so basically,

we cant support a team unless we support them since we're too young to know better,

we cant change them when we hit puberty, coz as everyone knows, thats when u suddenly "get" an allegiance to a sporting team in a foreign country,

if a newer team comes along that is more attractive to you than your current team, you have to stay with ur current team, because of the adverse affects it will have on the universe (i presume?), as will dumping ur girlfriend coz u dont like her anymore (see the comparison? ;))

the way ppl are talking, there seems to be some social high ground where ppl can say "ive supported this team since they were crap, that makes me the best". nobody cares, its a sport. who are you to tell people who they can support and why they should support them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

My father supports Scunthorpe just to be different. Well, he says he follows them. To be honest he hates soccer (foreign game) and just does it to wind people up.

Vincent Brown was having a debate about Manchester United one night and my father rang up complaining that people always support Man. U, Liverpool, etc. and why dont they support teams like Scunthorpe. I was in bed in boarding school at the time listening to my walkman, so it was a bit of a suprise to hear his voice on the radio.

"What a gowl!", is what I was thinking as Im sure is what Vincent Brown was thinking also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

PHB wrote:
    Btw, everyone start to support Brighton and Hove Albian.
    Great team with a great team spirit. A few years ago they were in the conference and now they are in the championship and fighting for promotion.

Brighton were almost relegated to the Conference (aka ALLIANCE PREMIER LEAGUE UNTIL 1986) in 1997.

They drew 1-1 with Hereford on the last day of the season.
    Hereford went down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

jonny68 wrote:
    The worst kind of them all in my book :mad: and id nearly include huns in that category as well(being a Celtic fan that is), :rolleyes:

I don't recall seeing that many Celtic shirts being worn in Ireland during the period 1989-1997 (Rangers' nine in a row era)

Seen loads since Martin O'Neill took over.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    I don't recall seeing that many Celtic shirts being worn in Ireland during the period 1989-1997 (Rangers' nine in a row era)

Seen loads since Martin O'Neill took over.

Maybe you were not looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Jonny68, how do you know the people you saw in the airport aren't following "chelski" longer than you are, the adults I mean.

Yes there are bandwagon jumpers, always have been always will be, this is the thing that made me stop going to Dalymount, kids in the Jodi stand not being able to name 3 players of the team. Where were they when we were fighting relegation a few years back ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

have followed liverpool now for 20 years.Only started following them because when as a young lad i was in london for a week and my brother bought me their jersey.Its been a roller coaster ride since with more lows than highs but the man benitez is here now and hello title in a few years once he gets the rubbish out of anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Big Nelly wrote:
    Exactly....and then when we win the Championship and go on to win the PL/FA Cup and Champions League the following season you can all say that you where there when it all started......

come on lads make sheffield wednesday your team!
    avoid bandwagon jumping!be one of the originals!
    play offs against brentford tonight first leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Brighton were almost relegated to the Conference (aka ALLIANCE PREMIER LEAGUE UNTIL 1986) in 1997.

They drew 1-1 with Hereford on the last day of the season.
    Hereford went down.
    Nevermind the Sheffield Wednesday or Brighton lark, get behind Hereford United! Denied a league return in the playoffs for the second year running (Despite having a large number of their squad poached last year!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Nevermind the Sheffield Wednesday or Brighton lark, get behind Hereford United! Denied a league return in the playoffs for the second year running (Despite having a large number of their squad poached last year!).

How dare you?????? haha! said on the 21/03 that we looked to be in playoffs and again I was right.....want all the Shef Wed supporters to be ready for Monday!!!! we will, no we must win!!! Tickets on sale now.....God I wish they had an airport in Sheffield.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Supporting a team because are different is great fun. I could never trade my beloveds for any other.

As for Case n Baskets rant on the eircom league, cop on you idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

PHB wrote:
    Some people don't care about football as much as you seem to do ... They want a different thign out of the game, get off your high horse
    Hear, hear!
    por wrote:
    Nothing wrong with it, all support bases are started by a bandwagon, anyone who complains about it is just arrogant
    Hear, hear!
    The_B_Man wrote:
    the way ppl are talking, there seems to be some social high ground where ppl can say "ive supported this team since they were crap, that makes me the best". nobody cares, its a sport. who are you to tell people who they can support and why they should support them?
    Hear, hear!

And jonny68, if bandwagon supporters annoy you so much, then i support chelsea just cos they're the best :)

On the topic of bandwagon supporters, Chelsea's fan base has increased by 300% since Abramovich took over.

OT - Chelsea have gone to Suwon for marketing reasons which proves Abramovich cares how is coming in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

eirebhoy, isn't that 300% just in Asia?

PHB wrote:
    eirebhoy, isn't that 300% just in Asia?
    Kenyon: "I think you have got to look at this as a long-term not a short-term thing. We have see our fanbase grow 300 % in the last three years."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    As for Case n Baskets rant on the eircom league, cop on you idiot.
    Ooh, hit a nerve did I...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

anyone see my Lampard 8 jersey.............??

oh wait here it is under my Henry 14 one......... :D

i do know a couple of lads tho who've follwoed chelsea for a fair few years but still give em stick for being bandwagon fans!! has to be done.

Advertisement