Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total newbie to this lark.Good tutorial?

Options
  • 04-06-2001 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Well I have got my free webspace,but i have no clue about anything regarding web design, could someone point me in the direction of a basic tutorial on the subject? Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This is the one I started out with:

http://www.htmlgoodies.com

Unfortunately, it was taken over by Earthweb and they made a right mess of it, but the tutorials are the same.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

A few links here

[This message has been edited by Baz_ (edited 05-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

www.webmonkey.com and www.wdvl.com are also good resources.

Bard
    "Henry! The cat wants to go out!" ... "Why, Min? Is he on fire?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Thx for the replies guys, but i have run into trouble.I have designed a baic page to test how it went,and i am having no luck in getting it up there frown.gif

HTML wise the page (done in notepad) is sound I believe,but when i paste it into the ftp it goes in alright,but when i go back to domain the poxy initial greeting page for f2s is still there,and no,refreshing does not get rid of it frown.gif. Says : 'If you've uploaded your site but are still getting this welcome
    page try doing a SHIFT+Reload - this will clear your browsers cache.

If you still get this welcome page then please make sure you have
    uploaded your first page as index.html all in lowercase.'

Well i have tried naming the thing as 'index.html' and no good....AAAAAGGHHH!!1!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Try uploading it as a different name (test.html) and point your browser at it (url/test.html). If that's worked, you'll know if it's a problem with your FTP or not. If you still can't see it, post up the code here (use the code UBB tags to make it easier to read).

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bugler:
    Says : 'If you've uploaded your site but are still getting this welcome page try doing a SHIFT+Reload - this will clear your browsers cache.'
    </font>

That works (usually) for Netscape - try what Kharn said, - also try clearing your cache - in IE, click Tools>Options and click the "Delete Files" button.

Bard
    "Henry! The cat wants to go out!" ... "Oh dear, Min! Is he on fire, again?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Inf

The same thing always happens 2 me with f2s,i do sometimes have 2 of the exact same files on the ftp.all i do is delete the one i dont need and add the new one.
    btw f2s sometimes takes a while to update the pages,well it does for me anyway.

Advertisement