Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is changing a car radio difficult?

Options
  • 20-03-2005 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I got a new car radio yesterday and was wondering would it be difficult to change myself or should I get someone who knows what they're doing to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Cucullan wrote:
    I got a new car radio yesterday and was wondering would it be difficult to change myself or should I get someone who knows what they're doing to do it?

It depends.

If the car already has a radio, swapping it out for the new one might be just a case of unplugging the old and plugging in the new. Most car radios use ISO connectors for power and speakers. The co-axial aerial connection is self apparent. If there is a CD changer, they tend to have brand-specific connectors, and it's 50:50 whether brand A's CD changer will work with brand B's head unit (in fact it's likely they won't). Check that the speaker output rating of your new head unit matches the speakers fitted to your car. Also make sure that the power rating of your new head unit is within the rating of the fused power supply for the radio (very unlikely that it isn't)

If your existing radio is not DIN sized (for e.g. some ford/volvo/fiat radios) then I would leave it to a pro unless you are sure of what you're doing.

Standard radios are held in place by spring clips that are released using two elongated V shaped tools. The tool is little more than a bent piece of wire, but it's handy if you have it. Slide each tool into the two tiny holes on both sides of the radio. You then pull the radio forward, disconnect the plugs at the rear and remove it altogether. Keep a note of what goes where in case you need to refit the old - a camera phone/digital camera can be handy here.

Word of warning: make sure you have all codes for both radios before disconnecting from the power. It can be a pain to get them if you don't have them.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

I'm just swapping a Blaupunkt Modena CD51 for a Kenwood W4031, got it in Argos for €150 reduced from €220. There is no CD changer or athen involved. Its in an 01 Skoda Octavia. I have all the paper work for the Blaupunkt but its blank where the code should be and underneath it says "only for sets with eletronic coding system". Also the blaupunkt is 4x45watt speakers and the Kenwood is 4x50, will this matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Cucullan wrote:
    I'm just swapping a Blaupunkt Modena CD51 for a Kenwood W4031, got it in Argos for €150 reduced from €220. There is no CD changer or athen involved. Its in an 01 Skoda Octavia. I have all the paper work for the Blaupunkt but its blank where the code should be and underneath it says "only for sets with eletronic coding system". Also the blaupunkt is 4x45watt speakers and the Kenwood is 4x50, will this matter?

You should be fine. I think the Kenwood has a weird connecting mechanism on the back, but comes with an ISO adapter. The Blaupunkt uses ISO. The 4 x 50W is the peak music power output - I would be surprised if the stock Octavia speakers cannot handle this. You'll get a big improvement in sound quality/power from better speakers, but for that head unit you'll be fine with stock.

The Octavia has a standard sized radio, and plenty of room behind the dash. I swapped the blaupunkt in my wife's 00 for a grundig with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Got it fitted myself, was hard to get it back into place cause of the extra fitting. Before though I didn't have to turn on the ignition to work the radio now I do so i'm guessing I have to connect one of the two loose wires. A job for someother day :)
    Thanks for your help ds20prefecture

Advertisement