Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for a clueless traveller...

• 20-03-2005 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I am from the states and am a student of fashion. I was thinking of studing for a term in Dublin. My specific area of study is costume design for film... Is there a film industry in Ireland? Also, any advice if I do decide to come there? Are things terribly expensive, and what is there to do for fun? I appreciate any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Maybe you could get work with RTE the national television station. www.rte.ie. You might get unpaid work experience. Or there is also TV3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Dublin is expensive for everything, accommadation is very expensive, in fact its called "Rip-Off Ireland" for a good reason. To check out a place to rent look up www.daft.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Ivyloloo - I don't know what part of the states you are from but if you are from LA or NY or somewhere like that you prob. won't find Irel. that expensive. The poster above painted a very poor picture, Ireland has become more expensive to live in over the last few years but it is still very do-able, don't let cost put you off. Having travelled all over the worl I've seen some expensive places. A Big Mac Meal cost be $11 in Tahaiti 5 years ago - now that IS expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ivylooloo wrote:
    Also, any advice if I do decide to come there? Are things terribly expensive, and what is there to do for fun? I appreciate any help.

Having lived in Oregon myself (Hillsboro), you will find a hell of a difference pricewise, things certainly are a lot more expensive here. Having said that, we all manage, so it can be done.

What you will also find is that there is a striking similarity between Oregon and Ireland, from a people, infrastructure and scenery perspective. If you like the outdoor life (as a lot of Oregonians seem to), you will find plenty of outdoor activity here. The climate in Oregon is more extreme (hotter Summers, colder Winters) and it rains a lot more here.

Dublin is like Portland - quite low-rise and spread out. I would say Dublin has a lot better night life than Portland also (Kells is nothing like a real Irish pub biggrin.gif).

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ivylooloo

tom dunne wrote:
    Having lived in Oregon myself (Hillsboro), you will find a hell of a difference pricewise, things certainly are a lot more expensive here. Having said that, we all manage, so it can be done.

What you will also find is that there is a striking similarity between Oregon and Ireland...

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

That is one of the reasons I am interested in visiting! Thanks for all of the info. Did you just visit Hillsboro, or are you from the states? Which place do you like better?

As for the nightlife, I'd better start practicing. I can't hold my liquor anymore, and maybe it's just a rumor, but I hear the Irish are a little crazy when it comes to the pub scene (correct me if I'm wrong). I just hope I can keep up. Hopefully the Irish blood in me will take over... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ivylooloo wrote:
    That is one of the reasons I am interested in visiting! Thanks for all of the info. Did you just visit Hillsboro, or are you from the states? Which place do you like better?

From Ireland, lived in Hillsboro, worked for a company that has a place in Ireland.

Advertisement