Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An incident in my match yesterday

• 20-03-2005 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

I just want to get peoples opinions on this, hopefully some referees will be able to give an actual rule:

During my match yesterday one of our forwards was put through one on one with the keeper, as the keeper charged out, he took of his hat and threw it at the forward, hitting him. The forward missed the chance.

The ref, who was a total fruitcake and had no control over the game, gave an indirect free kick in the box.

What do people think should have been the outcome of this? Did the ref make the right decision?

We ended up losing the game 0-1 so it made a big difference unfortunately.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Should have been 1, sent off and peno 2, punched by forward ,3 forward should then ahve been sent off

That would piss me off , its blatant cheating.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

surely a sending off for violent conduct or some such, and a penalty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

That's a tough one (esp considering it was a goalie). I have a vague reccolection that it's actually a rule violation for any player (even a gk) to wear any kind of 'soft non-bobble type' hat in the first place so the fault might have been with the ref to begin with!

However (and I'm not a ref I might point out), I would have deemed it equal to a 'professional foul' and awarded a free/peno appropriately as tho he had commited an illegal tackle handball etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Its using an object to influenec the game.
    Its the same principle as if the guy had keys in his pocket and he threw them at him.
    Whether or not it hurts the player is somewhat irrelevant to the actual decision.
    Should have been a sending off, with a peno.

--

p.s. Thats ****ing hilarious btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

lol , imagine it happening in a Premiership or Champs League game .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

You think thats funny eh?
    I played a junior match last season where the keeper charged out to a one on one situation he caught his leg in a muddy patch and his boot came off as he fell over.
    The goalie then decided to pick up his boot and fired it at the attacking player narrowly missing his head in the process.
    The forward then in temper booted the ball away (the goal was wide open) and attacked the goalie,the game turned into a free for all and was abandoned.-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

IMO

1st - The goalie obstructed the player which is an in-direct free kick in the box
    2nd - As it was a goal scoring opportunity the Keeper should have been sent off. Unfortunately the Ref's never send off Keepers for this.

thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I used to be a ref and from what they taught me at ref school I would not have called it obstruction.

Direct free kick and red card is the correct decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Pal wrote:
    I used to be a ref and from what they taught me at ref school I would not have called it obstruction.

Direct free kick and red card is the correct decision.
    Do you mean direct or indirect? it was in the box remember...

Direct free kick (Law - strikes or attempts to strike an opponent )

in this case the direct free kick is taken from the penalty mark.

in Sky Sports layman's terms yes it is a penalty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

But if its a direct free kick from the penalty spot then why can't the players make a wall?

Is it not just a peno?

who'd be a ref ?

YES it is a penalty !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

quarryman wrote:
    But if its a direct free kick from the penalty spot then why can't the players make a wall?

Is it not just a peno?

A direct kick from the penalty spot is more commonly called a Penalty Kick.

Because the offence takes place in the Penalty Area, then the attacking team have the chance to take a free kick from twelce yards out, with no defending players behind the ball.

Wasn't there a match yesterday in the PL where the ref moved a direct free kick to the edge of the penalty area for dissent? I wonder what would have happened if he had to move it in to the box?

For what it's worth I would have given a penaly too, and sent the 'keeper off.

seansouth wrote:
    Wasn't there a match yesterday in the PL where the ref moved a direct free kick to the edge of the penalty area for dissent? I wonder what would have happened if he had to move it in to the box?.

it remains a free kick but not a penalty even inside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

All the players would basically be standing on the goal line so? Cool.

What match was the ball moved back in?

I think it was Graham Poll in the Blackburn Arsenal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This is somewhat off topic but how do you go about becoming a ref?
    I know a lot of people do it part time, like Frisk was a dentist if I'm not mistaken, so how do you go about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Holy jesus the FAI website is like a maze, I eventuallyfound this gem of information for you PHB

FAI REFEREES COURSES

Hope that helps :eek:

Actually, I did a course, I think it took a week or thereabouts, and it was very good. I reffed at schoolboy level for a while, two or three seasons, then the oul knees gave up.

If you think you can hack the abuse that 22 mothers with handbags can hurl at you on a cold sunday morning in the local park, then go for it. They are worse than the most rabid Celtic -v- Rangers fans when their little darling is out there.

Apart from that, it is good exercise, nice to be involved at some level in the game, and you will never give refs stick again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

seansouth wrote:
    H

Actually, I did a course, I think it took a week or thereabouts, and it was very good. I reffed at schoolboy level for a while, two or three seasons, then the oul knees gave up.

Oh to have a time machine :D

Quite a few occasions frees have been moved into the box and the wall eventually ended up on the line, one in Spain this season ref moved the ball forward 4 times (40 yards) from half way line to peno spot and sent off 3 players for dissent. player scored it btw as it was direct in the 1st place.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Quite a few occasions frees have been moved into the box and the wall eventually ended up on the line, one in Spain this season ref moved the ball forward 4 times (40 yards) from half way line to peno spot

The referee is only allowed to move the ball once. This guy was wrong to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You think thats funny eh?
    I played a junior match last season where the keeper charged out to a one on one situation he caught his leg in a muddy patch and his boot came off as he fell over.
    The goalie then decided to pick up his boot and fired it at the attacking player narrowly missing his head in the process.
    The forward then in temper booted the ball away (the goal was wide open) and attacked the goalie,the game turned into a free for all and was abandoned.-

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA JESUS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I want to do that Ref course! I bet it would be great fun...

Advertisement