Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fonts

Options
  • 21-06-2001 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭

The practice of putting a font up so someone can download it, install it, and then view the webpage the way you wanted them to is pretty much discouraged, because it makes visiting your site much more of a chore than it should be. Whenever webpages have prompted me to download a font so I could see it as the designer intended, I skipped this part and just viewed it without this font.

So, you have a couple of options:
    1. Write what you want in the font you want and save it as an image (.gif is better for this kind of thing). This is a good method for small things, like headings, but not so good for entire paragraphs of text.
    2. "Web Embedded Fonts". This is something Microsoft came up with a little while ago, but weren't willing to share it with other browser makers, so only IE supports it. Basically, when people view your page in IE, it will download this font in the background, install it temporarily, and then render the page using this font. It's a nice idea, and it's also a shame it wasn't shared so other browsers could take advantage of it.
    3. Use verdana smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ObeyGiant (edited 21-06-2001).]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Doesn't CSS allow for embedded fonts? Or is that CSS2?

Anyway, like ObeyGiant says, you shouldn't try and force the font on people, because a large percentage of people just won't bother. But you could *offer* the font to people, and use a multiple FONT tag or style. By that I mean you could say on your homepage that the site is designed to use your font, which is available for download, but it's not required. Then use a FONT tag like:

<font face="YourFont, Verdana, sans-serif">

Or a style like:

body { font-family: YourFont, Verdana, sans-serif; }

HTH,
    adam

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

I think its a music font he's doing(clefs and thinginmobobs).(right podg?) so the font is intrinsic to the web page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

I'm developing a music font, so musical scores can be distributed over the web. Yeah ive been reading up on css but dont think it does what i want, allows you to specify a few fonts and if one not present will use the next and so on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

I'm doing some work with fonts this summer. I have created my own test font, and i want to use it in a webpage. It will display fine if you have my font installed on your machine but if not it uses the default font. Is it possible to set it up to give user option to download the font if they dont have it. I'm sure i have come across this before.
    As usual any help appreciated..
    David.

Advertisement