Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

juggling equipment

Options
  • 20-03-2005 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Ok, i think we've established that the only places in dublin to get juggling equipment are the art&hobby shop and visuals on liffey street and that neither supplys equipment of a very high quality, what does anyone think about the idea of ordering stuff together in order to save on shipping, we could order off beard.co.uk or firetoys.co.uk maybe its more hassle than its worth. Does anyone have info on the juggling clubs that exist, do any of them have band one status with a supplier(means they can get things at lower prices, like a shop)?

I'm not sure, maybe it would be too much hassle, I ordered a couple things off beard and they just arrived a few days ago and its all really good high quality stuff, anyway, i'm really just looking for info here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I've seen this implemented on other forums but they were ordering a lot of stuff and it seemed like a lot of hassle. If there's a latge following and a good organiser it could be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Ali Cat

cocoa wrote:
    Does anyone have info on the juggling clubs that exist, do any of them have band one status with a supplier(means they can get things at lower prices, like a shop)?
    Last time I checked niether Trinity nor DIT did, don't know about the others...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

this is only half related to the original topic, oh well. I've been looking at all this juggling equipment online and i just can't figure out what the difference between stage balls and dx balls is, except of course for the slight rise in the price and that funny hole, couldn't see exactly what it was from the [pictures. can someone please explain?

I've got 3 Green DX balls. A stage ball is solid and bouncy whereas a DX ball is filled with the same stuff as a benbag type ball. Imagine a beanbag encased in a round rubber sleeve and that's a DX ball. They don't bounce and that little hole is where they put in the filling whilch I believe is millet.

hmmm, and all that for just a £ more, thanks for the info, sorta makes sense now i know, although i still kinda don't understand how it would keep that sort of staying spherical type shape ands feel and not roll/bounce away, i have one stage ball that i ordered off beard just as a sample to see what they were like, it really doesn't bounce, well ok it does but barely, im actually really afraid to throw it at the ground and try to make it bounce, i got such a shock when i tried to make it bounce when i first got it and it just went like a cm off the ground. Didn't seem to do any damage, i reckon i'll probably just order one of those dx balls too so i can really get a feel for what you mean. Where did you get them? order? ok, non real need for an answer, i don't know why i even ask anymore while it seems to be an established fact that there is no high quality juggling shops in the dublin area:(:(:(
    oh well, thanks again for the info

• Advertisement

Strangely enough I did get them in The Art & Hobby Shop (Stephen's Green). Not 3 weeks ago. I didn't realise they were DX balls for a while though. I just thought they were, ya know,... "proper" balls as opposed to beanbags.
    cocoa wrote:
    i still kinda don't understand how it would keep that sort of staying spherical type shape ands feel and not roll/bounce away
    Well it's tightly packed and the rubber is tight around the filling. Plus the rubber's natural shape is a sphere so it'll "try" and be that shape. Oh it does roll away. It doesn't bounce though. From what you said it sounds like the DX balls bounce about the same amount your stage balls. Of course they bounce a little but no more than you would bounce if you fell over.

hmm, this is gonna sound silly but, how much were they?

I think it was €25/€26 for the set of 3. Note: Never tell non-jugglers that you spent that much on 3 balls or you'll get the piss ripped out of you.

lol, i know what you mean, i'm sort of trying to start a mini business in school selling juggling equipment to the club and hacky sacks to the other students, you should see their eyes pop out when i tell them how much it would cost them for a nice set of beanbeags(€15). I'm gonna be selling the hacky sacks at €5.20 when we go back from the easter break, i'm playing it safe by getting the money and then ordering off beard(or firetoys if i judge it to be cheaper).

Anyway getting back to the subject at hand, yes, juggling equipment is very expensive, but it's so damn shiny i really just can't help myself!!!

Just added Hacky Sack to the Charter. Thanks for the reminder.

That's cool what you're doing in school. Some guy in my school is selling beanbags (of a low-medium quality). I think he charges €5.99 for 3 and €10 for 6. You should implement some kind of bulk buying price reduction for your "customers".

To the OP (original poster), the perfect thing to buy in bulk would be wick. You could get mybe 6 people to buy a 30m roll of wick. That way everyone gets their 5m at a lower price.

• Advertisement

yeah, i tried to get band one status with beard but they say that it would have to be the school as opposed to me ordering the stuff, real pity as they said you wouldn't actually have to order in bulk, you could order as few as you wanted, idunno, i'll speak to my business studies teacher after easter and ask him if i could use the school's name+credit card, lol. Man, i feel so outdone, €5.99 for 3!!!, well i'm screwed if anyone else gets wind of this, i wonder where he's getting them. Cool idea bout the wick, i'm staying away from the fireprops for the mo' though, i reckon its not necessary unless i'm actually doing some performing or i really have the money to spare

No seriously, do not try and sell what this guy is selling. You'll lose all credibility as a good person to buy from. He sells those tiny small balls that you get free with juggling kits that teach the cascade and 1 or 2 tricks. Not the kind of thing I'd like to be seen using by someone who can juggle. It'd be embarrassing cos' they're just so rubbish. They're fine for learning the cascade and that's about it.

ahh, now i see, at first i thought you meant he was selling hacky sacks for 3 for €6 but those crappy little beanbags, yeah i'm offering those too, my advice to anyone beginning is to get a set of these because, lets face anyone who doesn't already juggle is not going to be willing to get a set of balls for over€10, so i'm encouraging people buying these (off me) until they get hooked and want to get some high quality stuff. lol, i'm selling those €5 for three so no worries. My one real worry about the shop thing selling hacky sacks and stuff is that people will mess with them in class and the teachers will blame me, probably not likely (the blaming not the messing) so i guess i'll be ok. I'm selling them in order to gain cradibility as someone who is actually trying to help people get into juggling as opposed to someone who is just trying to make a profit out of it (my markup is really low because i really doubt the demand is high enough to afford a high markup, i don't really mind though). I suppose i'll advise people tom get a nice set opf balls first (because it's cheaper than buying a set of cheapees and then a set of nice ones) but i'll completely give them the choice between cheapees first or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 loafer's glory

For the UCD people:

UCD Juggling Society will be arranging a gear order from Beard at practice next week.

Monday April 11, 6 - 8 pm, Astra Hall, UCD.

If you need anything, come along to practice. We'll have a catalogue, check out the Beard website in the meantime (address, anyone?). To avoid the horrible logistics, I won't take any orders here or by email. Sorry...

Can't remember much about prices off the top of my head, but it's about €10 - €15 for a set of poi, €32 or so for fire poi, most balls are €3 - €5, clubs are €7 - €20, unicycles are €100, so it's all a good bit cheaper than in the shops in Dublin.

Strictly one week only, we'll be sending off the order the next day.

beard.co.uk
    and for handy conversions
    xe.com
    sorry but i honestly don't have a clue about the postage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 loafer's glory

The prices I quoted there are inclusive of postage.

Sorry if this is way too early or if you just don't know but, approximately when will the next ucd gear order be? I'm thinking about buying some equipment and I know I'll get it cheaper if I wait for the next gear order, but I want to know how long I'll be waiting. Sorry if the answer to this question is blatantly obvious (as in "the club won't be having any meetings till september so when do you thinkt he gear order will be?")

Thanks!

Advertisement