Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

webbased mail

Options
  • 15-06-2001 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Anybody know where I can get web-based mail for my own domain name that will give me admin options over the account. In particular the ability to bounce unwanted mails.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

There's loads of places that do it... question is ... whether or not you trust them wink.gif

Bard
    Does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

http://www.Everyone.net are OK if you are willing to pay for no Banner adds, but the Banner adds if you go for the free option do get annoying...

Gamb

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

everyone.net looks good to me and I think I'll go for the pay option as I'll have full control of:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Banner space for promotions and signature that appends each user's outgoing email for powerful viral marketing.
    </font>

Viral marketing?! Sounds like really scarey stuff to me. Are we being subjected to 'Viral marketing' on the web everyday? I'm doing a search in google...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Well pretty much all I want is web-based email for my domain instead of POP3. The reason I wan't it web-based is so I can access it from oversea's when I'm away, I have that at the moment but I need to be able to bounce mails etc. which I can't do. I'll have a look at BigMailBox.com too wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Evil Phil (edited 15-06-2001).]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The everyone.net service is pretty good for webmail (I used it for corkcityfc.net, the web-based mail system for the official Cork City Football Club site) but a word of warning: if you think you're ever going to need support for the site, including changing the domain name or anything of that nature, forget about it. Not only do they not support you, they don't even respond to your emails. Not even an autoresponse...

Also, if you're going to be giving away free email to others, you'll never be able to get at your userbase, and you can't integrate it with your own userbase. If you want to go downthis route, there's lots of webmail apps out there you can install on your own server, although an aliases-based one like Alias Mail or Gossamer Threads mail is best for security.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

BigMailBox.com are all right too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

If you have a littel knowledge try downloading JavaMail form Sun. Very useful for form submissions etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 teac!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">if you think you're ever going to need support for the site, including changing the domain name or anything of that nature, forget about it. Not only do they not support you, they don't even respond to your emails. Not even an autoresponse...
    [/B]</font>

I used this on a site, about two years ago and although I never got a response, I suggested two or three additions to the software which got added in within two weeks. It's a nice system, but if you have your own resources (i.e. your own server) I wouldn't touch it with a dirty gerbils.

Phil.

Advertisement