Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New site fused multimedia.

Options
  • 20-03-2005 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

I am in the process of setting up a site offering my services. Do you think the look is alright. I want to go for something a bit different. Only one section is up (web design). Have a look at the navigation and see if it is easy enough to fugure out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

I assume you will be putting your portfolio of work up though i am not sure where it will fit within the navigation?

As a home page it was fine looking. I have to scroll on 1024 x 768 when there is no reason to though.

Layout and navigation needs to be looked at in the internal pages though. I would differenciate it from the home page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Your CSS relies heavily on windows fonts, so the text looks pretty dire if you don't have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

blacknight wrote:
    Your CSS relies heavily on windows fonts, so the text looks pretty dire if you don't have them

There is only one font "verdana" it is quite a popular front. There will not be many issues with this.

Figment wrote:
    I have to scroll on 1024 x 768 when there is no reason to though.

Thanks for that, i will fix it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

vox wrote:
    There is only one font "verdana" it is quite a popular front. There will not be many issues with this.

Thanks for that, i will fix it soon.
    It's a windows only font. I'm not using windows, therefore I cannot see it. Your CSS has the following:
    style1 {
    	font-family: Tahoma;
    	font-size: 12px;
    	color: #FFFFFF;
    	font-weight: bold;
    }
    .style3 {font-size: 13px; color: #FFFFFF; font-family: Verdana;}

You have specified fonts as font-family which is incorrect.
    Verdana should be set as sans-serif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

What program would be used to make a website like that?

• Advertisement

blacknight wrote:
    It's a windows only font. I'm not using windows, therefore I cannot see it. Your CSS has the following:
    style1 {
    	font-family: Tahoma;
    	font-size: 12px;
    	color: #FFFFFF;
    	font-weight: bold;
    }
    .style3 {font-size: 13px; color: #FFFFFF; font-family: Verdana;}

You have specified fonts as font-family which is incorrect.
    Verdana should be set as sans-serif

Ok, what font would you recommend as a substitute, i like the verdana font but i will try another. Cheers!

What program would be used to make a website like that?
    You use dreamweaver to make a site like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

you should really have several alternatives to verdana - personally I use verdanan, helvetica and something else

also - really dont like how the small images on your nav bar disappear with each selection - very unsettling for the eye

I will keep a full criticim aside until I see a finished product

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

slightly petty but anyway...
    on your web design/graphic design/other services pages you have the 3 boxes which have an image in each on the home page. However in these subsections the only one to have a pic is the one Im currently at.
    I think I would prefer to attract attention to the other two by having pics in them instead and leave the box for the current one without a pic or unlinked.

Also if you are offering web design services maybe validate your HTML
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fusedmultimedia.com%2Findex.htm&Check=Check
    Your CSS validates though
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fusedmultimedia.com%2Findex.htm&usermedium=all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

vox wrote:

It's quite a popular font if you're on a recentish Windows machine. It doesn't exist elsewhere. Consider providing alternatives.

• Advertisement

Ph3n0m wrote:
    you should really have several alternatives to verdana - personally I use verdanan, helvetica and something else

also - really dont like how the small images on your nav bar disappear with each selection - very unsettling for the eye

I will keep a full criticim aside until I see a finished product

Thats a fair point. Thanks i think i will fade the other images slightly to make the current page stand out a bit more.

So if i set it up fo "Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" will this solve the font issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

yup - as you now have given multiple choices for different OS

also note the order you have them "Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" - is the order that the browser/OS will attempt to display in, i.e. if verdana aint present, try arial, etc, etc

Advertisement