Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Problems

• 20-03-2005 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

My esat dsl has been fairly ok up until this week. Everytime I leave a torrent downloading for a few hours, I come back and I have been disconnected from the net. The torrent has obviously turned black and stopped download, which is mighty anoying.

This happens every few hours and it never seems to reconnect by itself, the only way for me to reconnect is to turn the router off, on and restart the pc.

Also, even though im getting a green light my torrents seem to be having a hard time connecting to seeds with mostly 1 or 2 seeds even on heavily seeded torrents.

Anoying.

Ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

im on east too but dont have any problems with torrents, maybe your modem is too hot. i had a similar problem when mine was in the atitic connected to a wireless router now its fine in the hall way tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I also have the overheating router problem - there is nothing I can do about it though so I just have to reset the router every now and then..... :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I used to have that problem with a D-Link router. I updated the firmware a few times and stood it on it's side (for better airflow/less trapped heat between table/router). Haven't had that problem in over a year I'd have to guess. In recent times I've shifted to my other Netgear router which always worked flawlessly and doesn't overheat.

Ye my router is also a D-Link, it's totally put me off buying more of their stuff :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

If you have a separate router, the answer is to put your modem into 'bridge mode' and have the router handle the routing.

Torrents kept shutting down the net until I put it in bridge mode. Do a search on these forums for how to do it.

• Advertisement

No it's a router with in-built modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭walter

i got the same prob in these few days,i think the prob is on the adsl router fireware but there is no update for east dsl router,so.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Tusky, do you have the modem connected by the USB or ethernet connection? I had problems with mine dropping the connection every few hours when I used the USB connection, but have never had a problem with torrents or anything else since I switched to ethernet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

jor el wrote:
    Tusky, do you have the modem connected by the USB or ethernet connection? I had problems with mine dropping the connection every few hours when I used the USB connection, but have never had a problem with torrents or anything else since I switched to ethernet.

Its connected via usb...it has to be as the other pc is using the eternet. Im downloading a torrent now that had about 15 seeds. im connected to 2 and am getting 10k a second...I used to connect to loads and get around 40-55k with these torrents...grrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I think its a common problem using the USB connection.

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I think its a common problem using the USB connection.

Ive never had it before...can I get some sort of connection that will let me split the eternet thingy so I can connect it to both pcs and not use USB at all ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

had the same problem using usb too.

switched to ethernet ad it was better, but still happened every now and again. got a broadband router and changed the modem to bridge mode and let the router handle everything. works fine now aside from the router occasionally closing off my ports randomly, but that's another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

It sounds like you don't have your ports forwarded tusky ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

padraigf wrote:
    wouldn't cause the connection to drop completely though.

if you want to check your ports just in case though, go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and do a custom port probe on the ports you're using for BT, and it'll tell you if all is hunky dory or not.

padraigf wrote:

I do. The torrent is green and everything...for some reason just doesnt seem to be connecting to many seeds...maybe its a problem with the torrent itself ? If one of yea wants to give the torrent a go and see if it works for you PM me.

Advertisement