Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Question

Options
  • 29-06-2001 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

Rights hers the story I'm after a certain domain name and the record expired on the 11th of this month yet I still can not buy it as it is still marked as active is there anyone I can contact to release this dpmain so I can grab it??? I know this is a stupid question but any on topic answers are welcomed.

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Ok first of all to contact the domain owner just whois the domain at http://www.ripe.net/ or whatever.

Second of all it takes a while for the dns to propogate through the internet and also the owner of the domain can still renew the domain 30 days after it expires..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Rights hers the story I'm after a certain domain name and the record expired on the 11th of this month yet I still can not buy it as it is still marked as active is there anyone I can contact to release this dpmain so I can grab it??? I know this is a stupid question but any on topic answers are welcomed.</font>

Domain names go ON HOLD for 45 days minimum after they expire. If it's with Network Solutions, or any of the other anti-competetive registrars like Register.com, you could be waiting several years. I kid you not.

If it's a good domain name, watch it like a hawk and try to register it every day at about 7AM US Eastern Standard Time, that's the time expired domain names are released back into the wild. You'll have some competition if it's any good though...

The only workaround is to contact the current owner and get them to pay the renewal, and then buy the domain name off them.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

First off Yipppeeee Post number 400 not bad for over 2 years smile.gif

Now back to the matter at hand. I dont want to contact the owner as I hope to see it nice and quitely expire other wise he'll probally renew and ask a high price. But thanks anyway I didn't know it stayed active for 30 days after the expirey date so cheers I'll talk a look 2 weeks smile.gif

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

45 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Just remember to keep a close eye on it....
    I missed registering a domain because of Network Solutions' weird way of dealing with expirations.

IrishSearch.net
    IrishFreelance

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I missed registering a domain because of Network Solutions' weird way of dealing with expirations.</font>

Shouldn't you have said "because of Network Solutions' anti-competitive policy of keeping expired domain names"?

Or how about "because of Network Solutions' illegal invoicing for domain names they no longer own"?

And the moral of this story is: NetSol are a shower of incorrigible incompetents. Don't *ever* deal with them.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

That said, who would you recommend as the best? I don't really mind paying full whack as long as I get a good service.

Advertisement