Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

popular browsers

Options
  • 28-06-2001 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

what browser versions are people using these days?

the reason im asking is cause im in the middle of making a website and i have quite taken use of CSS which is extra cool for design. im using IE 5.5 which show up perfectly with the site.

adnans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I'm using IE5.5 in work. I use Mozilla 0.9 at home. Had a look at Opera too, very impressive but not really my cup of tea. It just does too much! smile.gif Feeping Creaturism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭acidweb

I think it's fairly safe to work with CSS. About 95% of visitors to my site use IE so there's not that many people using browsers that don't work to worry about. I think it justifiable to use CSS if there are only a few people which won't see the 'nice' side of your site and it cuts development time greatly and is very efficient

Regards,

Peter Denham
    http://www.acidwebsolutions.com/
    post@acidwebsolutions.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It's a sad sad fact that IE6 (beta) seems to be a fair bit more stable than IE 5.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

true, but this is what worries me. im working on a concept site.
    <snip>

its the dashed lines right. in IE 5.5, its sweet as pie. but in IE 5.0 the lines are not dashed at all which worries me from the design point.

btw IE 6 is the mothers milk. i likes it

adnans

[This message has been edited by adnans (edited 29-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Opera 5.11 for Boards and a couple of other site... the zoom and some other features on it are simply brilliant. IE 5.5 for everything else... 6 can go on when it comes out of beta.

Netscape is getting nowhere near my personal machine... no matter what version. I don't especially dislike it, I just have no particular need for it - the other two (which I prefer to it) are plenty to be going on with... no need to waste more space smile.gif

Bard
    Vidi, Vici, Veni.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Bard, take a look at Mozilla 0.9, it's a *lot* more stable than NS6. Well worth taking a look at. Behaves almost like IE with its rendering.

And like you, gonna wait till IE6 goes gold before it goes near my HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Internet Explorer 5.5 is far more stable than netscape navigator 6.
    I've been using Internet Explorer 6 public beta lately and as Sico said it is more stable than 5.5.
    As for opera I haven't tried it yet, it can't be as good as IE.

What is now was once only imagined.

[This message has been edited by Repli (edited 30-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Enygma:
    Bard, take a look at Mozilla 0.9, it's a *lot* more stable than NS6. Well worth taking a look at. Behaves almost like IE with its rendering.

And like you, gonna wait till IE6 goes gold before it goes near my HD.
    </font>

I *have* taken a look at M0.9 - I've followed Mozilla all the way through it's development... and yes, - it's getting there nicely --- but I use it only on a work machine for development purposes and see no point in installing it at home when I've got more than enough in Opera and IE. It's getting nowhere near my personal PC, but it's essential on a development machine simply for compatibility testing.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Repli:
    As for opera I haven't tried it yet, it can't be as good as IE.
    </font>

Now that is a silly and close-minded thing to say!!!

Bard
    Vidi, Vici, Veni.

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 30-06-2001).]

Advertisement