Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the new speeds affect . . .

• 20-03-2005 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Will the new 1mb and 2mb speeds being rolled out by eircom, esat etc. affect gaming? I thought that with speed increases we wud be gettin faster better pings but I have been informed that this will probably not be the case, does anybody know anything about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wont change at all , ping is determind by the number of hops to the server and on DSL the 1st is 40ish increasing speed wont change that it will be be 40ish and incremented per hop after that.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

Well, shouldn't it allow you to play games with more people in them, without performance suffering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It might, but you will also have to upload more, so you might get some choke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Well, shouldn't it allow you to play games with more people in them, without performance suffering?
    Only if your gaming was using up the full 512K you have at the moment, which would be suprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I guess it'll download stuff like customs maps and things faster in games like counterstrike :-/ but apart from that...not any faster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

To play games online you only need 8kb upload and 8kb down (quite odd that)

Ping is the time it takes your pc to send a packet to the server and back, increase in bandwidth wont change that, it will still take the same time to get to and back.

As regards more players on server, thats your PC buy more ram or better CPu or bigger GFX card. Or maybe be **** server which cant cope with X many players therefore you get lag.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

No, the amount of data you receive from a server definately increases with number of players. Try bringing up net_graph 3 in a game of CS in a 10 man server and then in a 64 man. Bet you anything theres a whole lot more coming in when it has to send you player updates for 54 more players!

It will allow you to increase your rate, cl_rate and cl_updaterate settings to much much higher values. Always nice :) Now of they would just up the damn upload speeds so that we could increase cl_cmdrate....

Ping will be the same unless they turn on interleaving to allow the higher speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

intereleaving will affect ping times, currently eircom has interleaving set to high o its 1meg / 2 meg packages i can only hope they dont do it for the 512k > 2meg upgrade as my ping will jump from 40-50 to 80-100 to english Counter-strike servers.

Advertisement