Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel Prestege 630-11

• 20-03-2005 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Yo,
    I signed up with IOLBB+ a while ago, they sent me out a Zyxel Prestege 630-11 USB only DSL modem. It sucks. I can't get it to work in Linux and I want to upgrade, but being a poor student I don't have the cash to buy a replacement. What would happen if it "breaks", will they send me out a newer model preferably with an ethernet connection or will I be up shiat creek?

What do you reckon? Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Article here on how to get it working under Linux:

http://www.linux.ie/articles/tutorials/zyxel630-11.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

bonglord wrote:
    Yo,
    I signed up with IOLBB+ a while ago, they sent me out a Zyxel Prestege 630-11 USB only DSL modem. It sucks. I can't get it to work in Linux and I want to upgrade, but being a poor student I don't have the cash to buy a replacement. What would happen if it "breaks", will they send me out a newer model preferably with an ethernet connection or will I be up shiat creek?

What do you reckon? Anyone know?

I suggest ring them up and say the modem dosent connect to any websites.
    Go through a couple of "tests" and get progressively more pizzed off witht the technician on the phone.

Then demand a replacement!!!

Return their modem, whether broken or not and get your replacement.
    I believe its your right to be given equipment that you can actually use with your OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

diarmo wrote:
    I suggest ring them up and say the modem dosent connect to any websites.
    Go through a couple of "tests" and get progressively more pizzed off witht the technician on the phone.

Then demand a replacement!!!

Return their modem, whether broken or not and get your replacement.
    I believe its your right to be given equipment that you can actually use with your OS.

They will just tell you they only support Windows. Look at their mimum spec. for broadband, windows operating system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I rang up and told them i had a second pc in my house and i wanted a router and they sent me out one of these bad boys. Works grand on linux because its ethernet and usb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Interesting, wonder if I could wangle an ethernet modem out of UTV the same way. Probably not because they're really tight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Stark wrote:
    Interesting, wonder if I could wangle an ethernet modem out of UTV the same way. Probably not because they're really tight.

I think they are giving customers Creative DSL modems now with Ethernet/USB connections.
    It said so on their site...but cant remember if it was the North's or our area?!?!

Give them a ring...."emm...I cant connect to the internet and the modem's making strange noises....." and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bonglord

Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a call in the morning and let you know what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭pablo321

My mate signed up with UTV and got the Creative Router..

I signed up about 2 months before and got the crappy usb Zylex one..

Will UTV send me the router if I ask really nicely I wonder??

Pablo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that's the modem i got with my iolbb+ connection.

Advertisement