Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions / Tips for a lowly Homestead site... Please?

Options
  • 30-06-2001 5:16pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://clanvar.homestead.com

First off, one tip you'll probably all shout is "Get Off Homestead!" but I find it quite a good designer as of late...

Anyway - I have pottered about with a site since the dawn of my clan, which was about two years ago, so I was just wondering if it looks tolerable, if you had any tips on changes or any real decent web hoster's I could transfer it too if I had to...

You know, some constructive criticism... Go on!

[VAR]-RopeDrink***** was killed by IOL NoLimits with Headshot from Disconnect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

On the info page ( the one with the links) theres "Acid Reign" surrounded by 2 var logos and the 2nd one doesn't sit properly in opera( the browser i use).

On the members page some of the stuff spills out of the box's there supposed to be in.

Credits page doesn't work for me frown.gif

Try www.fortress.ie for hosting.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Thats a shame - Some browsers are definately incompatible with it... Netscape for example - If I altered it to fit Opera or Netscape etc, it would look manky on other browsers, so I cant win at all...

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Also, we have a seperate site hosted by gameshop (Cheers lads biggrin.gif ) Yet it isn't updated as often (Mainly because it's not my site)...

I think it's http://var.gameshop.ie...

If I could do a total transfer from homestead to fortress I would, so I might give that a go... Cheers Moll's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Just one thing, your 'enter' button redirects to a site called acidreign_.homestead.com now according to RFC821 (section 4.1.2)
    an underscore is not a valid character in a domain name.
    And this seems to breaking my DNS and proxy,
    if I stop using the proxy and stick an entry in /etc/hosts it works fine.

Not that it particularly matters, perhaps something to remember if you do consider moving the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Windows2000 : IE5

The Opening Page:
    o Somehow the rocking chair strikes me as being out of place.
    o I'd make the pic of the arm with the gun a background and move the scrolling text into the centre of the screen. Possibly don't scroll it?
    o Move the counter to somewhere less in-your-face or maybe just get rid of it.
    o 3D bevelled buttons havn't looked good for years, unless they fit in particularly well with the site design. In this case, they don't really.

The Main Page:
    o Maybe do something with the links?
    o Get rid of the "!" exclamation marks from around the links. They only decrease readability.
    o Your main body text is both bold and in italics. These two things make text harder to read.

Your navigation is almost non-existant. What about a few "Return to Home" links?

Font faces and styles are varied and difficult to read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If I altered it to fit Opera or Netscape etc, it would look manky on other browsers, so I cant win at all...

[/B]</font>

Rubbish! There's nothing about that site that couldn't be made to work in IE/Netscape/Opera/whatever.

Advertisement