Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student housing near UCD

Options
  • 20-03-2005 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

just getting started on looking for a house for September for me and a few friends - wondering has anybody got any tips?

Aside from daft.ie what can I do?
    Was thinking about contacting a few agencies and asking them to let me know about any reasonably priced houses in the UCD vacinity - will they charge me for that?

Will some landlords be reluctant to let to students?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

valor wrote:
    just getting started on looking for a house for September for me and a few friends - wondering has anybody got any tips?

Aside from daft.ie what can I do?
    Was thinking about contacting a few agencies and asking them to let me know about any reasonably priced houses in the UCD vacinity - will they charge me for that?

Will some landlords be reluctant to let to students?

Thanks

Landlords will be delighted to let to students!
    As I raised the point in another thread,
    students are the new soft touch, easy to take advantage of.

The Private Residential Tenancies Board was introduced by the government last year to help enforce minimum standards in houses that are let, and to act as an arbitrageur where landlords and their tenants reach a disagreement such as eviction because the landlord wants a new tenant who will pay more or such as refusal by the landlord to return people’s deposit.

The Dept of Social Welfare are already ensuring that their claimant's landlords are registered. I've heard no such advice from the USI or any student body for that matter.
    Therefore Landlords will know that if they let to students, they don't have to worry about minimum standards, and they can treat them as they please.
    http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/wvNavView/Housing+Policy?OpenDocument&Lang=#16

If the USI had advised their members to verify their landlords are members, then landlords will have to bring up the standards of accommodation to a reasonable level and the stories of students being robbed blind by landlords may be a thing of the past.

Advertisement