Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unnecessary forums

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

With the assistance of the Boards statistics office (a.k.a Victor) I've compiled a list of users that I think are unnecessary.

Can we get rid of them please?

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

But i'm unnecessarily unnecessary. does that mean i should necessary post unnecessary comments in unnecessarily necessary threads in necessarily unnecessary boards?
    unnecessarily?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

DeVore wrote:
    I think that one of the things about Boards that keeps us different and a bit bonkers is our willingness to do run with stuff like the David HassleHoff thing. Mustard was an experiement that went so well we kept it. We've always done stuff like this and I hope we'll continue to...

DeV.

admit it, youre just a karma whore!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Scruff wrote:
    But i'm unnecessarily unnecessary. does that mean i should necessary post unnecessary comments in unnecessarily necessary threads in necessarily unnecessary boards?
    unnecessarily?
    Was that necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

ehem...MUSTARD..MUSTARD... !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Personally I think that After Hours is unnecessary. And Politics. And Counterstrike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

if they get rid of after hours ill be homeless along with solitaryman666, take mustard instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Is there really a need for a physics/chemistry,biology/medicine and science forum?

Surely it could be reduced to two:
    Science and Medicine

Astronomy/Space could also possibly be tied in with science, but I'm not totally sure on that one.

We don't want a medicine forum because its a fine line between talking about medicine and being held accountable for some poster giving medical advice that goes wrong.

As for the diversity of the forums, if the other admins (other to ecksor that is) see fit to respond to my last PM to them, before I leave the country, there may yet be an end product to the experiment set up a year ago.

As it is, Bio-Med and Science do just about the same average traffic as science did alone, Physic-chemistry has perked up in the last year. Engineering has a small but steady posting community and the same goes for maths (which is really ecksors baby).

Astronomy/Space is a very active community (admittedly quite the past few weeks) as is weather (the fact you'd suggest Astronomy/space needs culling makes me think you have very little clue about these forums are have no basis for actually mounting any sort of critique on the traffic).

Quite frankly, and I mean this in as general and non-personal way as possible, what do you care how its set out? You have 22 posts in the sci category the majority of which are in Maths, Engineering and Physics-Chemstry. You're asking to cull forums just because you don't post in them?

If you have no interesting in posting in other forums, what do you care if they are there or not? Don't post in them, or perhaps actually have an informed opinion on the forum traffic before you make claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

We don't want a medicine forum because its a fine line between talking about medicine and being held accountable for some poster giving medical advice that goes wrong
    That's fair enough.
    As for the diversity of the forums, if the other admins (other to ecksor that is) see fit to respond to my last PM to them, before I leave the country, there may yet be an end product to the experiment set up a year ago
    I don't understand. What was in the PM.
    what do you care how its set out?
    I don't, this is the feedback forum and I was giving "feedback". I'm not exactly going to lose any sleep over the setup of the forums.
    You're asking to cull forums just because you don't post in them?
    Please quote where I asked that.
    perhaps actually have an informed opinion on the forum traffic before you make claims.
    Nothing I said had anything to do with forum traffic. You have taken your own little spin on things for the sake of a "non-personal" attack.

logic1 wrote:
    With the assistance of the Boards statistics office (a.k.a Victor) I've compiled a list of users that I think are unnecessary.

Can we get rid of them please?

.logic.

Please tell me one of them is dendenz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

No forum on boards is Unecessary, if it were it would not have been passed by admins as a forum in the first place.

I don't, this is the feedback forum and I was giving "feedback". I'm not exactly going to lose any sleep over the setup of the forums.

Well you seemed motivated to post and you followed up, you also made a somewhat flawed attempt at an argument. Why bother if you don't care?

Please quote where I asked that.
    Science and Medicine

Astronomy/Space could also possibly be tied in with science, but I'm not totally sure on that one.

Suggesting/asking is all a matter of semantics, however you wouldn't have posted a suggestion if you wouldn't have liked it to be folowed through.

You don't suggest something you don't want.

Nothing I said had anything to do with forum traffic. You have taken your own little spin on things for the sake of a "non-personal" attack.
    Well why else would you merge forums unless they weren't getting traffic by themselves.

Anyway, I will oppose any reduction of forums until I see hoe events develop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Boston wrote:
    The people with less then 10 posts have absolutely no effect on how the server runs.
    The more users there are in the users table, the slower the SELECTs will be. It's only a miniscule amount per request, but the amount of traffic means it adds up to a lot. The more cruft cleared out by the dba the better. That being said, suggesting that people with 10 posts or less should be deleted is about as stupid as your suggestion is ignorant.

adam

you also made a somewhat flawed attempt at an argument.
    LOL, let's see who made the "flawed argument" (that really hurt my feelings by the way)

You said I did this

I asked you to quote me and you quoted this
    Science and medicine

Astronomy/Space could also possibly be tied in with science, but I'm not totally sure on that one

Please point out in those four lines where I mentioned anything to do with where I do, or do not post.

LOL, let's see who made the "flawed argument" (that really hurt my feelings by the way)

You said I did this

I asked you to quote me and you quoted this

Please point out in those four lines where I mentioned anything to do with where I do, or do not post.

Ahh the comma makes a difference.

I meant you're asking to cull forums and then I added my opinon that it is because you don't post in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think he knows his reasons better than you.

Merging forums doesnt mean you don't post there, maybe you prefer a general, multi-user base discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

memphis wrote:
    No forum on boards is Unecessary, if it were it would not have been passed by admins as a forum in the first place.
    Hasselhoff?
    They are necessary as spam filters, not as forums.

That was a sentence on it's own? What comma are you talking about?

Anyway, there's no point in perpetuating this.

• Advertisement

The comma was missing. If I was making a statement or quoting you I wouldn't have a question mark at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It appears to me that it was a question on it's own. You answered it. Your answer was "no".

Well done.

Advertisement