Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Variables in VB

Options
  • 20-03-2005 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Please help me!!

Right, i have a form where i get an employee number for the user. i then search my employee database for the number and when i find it i load a new form and display all the employees details.

i have a global variable set in the first form and i set it to equal what ever employee number is inputted by the user.

but how do i transfer this over to the second form??

any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

formName.variableName

I think is what you use in VB to access variables from other forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

hmm, ok. heres what i did in the second form...

Dim fnum1 As String

Private Sub Form_Load()
    fnum1 = TD_EmpSearch.Fnum
    Print fnum1
    End Sub

TD_EmpSearch is the name of the first form.

although it recognised the syntax you gave me... (cheers for that, btw)
    its still not printing anything on the form

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

sorry, i realised my error.

i put a button on the second form and set it to print the variable on a click and that worked!! thanks a million for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

it's probably best to pass the value over to the 2nd form, rather than the 2nd form directly referencing the variable in the first form.

To pass the employee number to the 2nd form maybe something like this in Form2:

Property Let EmployeeNumber(NewValue As String)
    fnum1 = NewValue
    End Property

so when you go to open the 2nd form, set the property and then show it
    the form_load

Form2.EmployeeNumber = TD_EmpSearch.Fnum
    Form2.Show

Then in Form2's Load:

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Print fnum1
    End Sub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

You could also use a module to store all the variables.

Just create a module class and declare all the variables there. You can reference them form anywhere in the project then. Possibly not as efficient but it causes fewer headaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

i have a global variable

but how do i transfer this...

While it looks like you've got your problem sorted, I'd suggest that you either need to rethink your terminology, or that you're confused about something.

Global variables, by definition, are globally accessible within an application. There is no notion of transferring them to somewhere else, but rather of accessing them from somewhere else.

I know this might seem pedantic in the extreme, but it has been my experience that sloppy terminology is the root of so many problems in programming.

The more precisely you can describe a problem, the easier it is (generally speaking) to resolve.

jc

Advertisement